Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VMWARE WinXP Image Wanted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • VMWARE WinXP Image Wanted

    I would like to configure my system in VMWare before trying it out in the car.

    It's much easier to play around in the comfort of a proper desktop PC.

    It is also great to be able to go back to a well defined state, when I've messed up!

    Edit:
    So I am looking for a way to create an image from my winXP CD in 800x480 that I can run with VMPlayer.
    My car installation mp3car thread "showing off project"

  • #2
    you don't have to use vmware which is not free, there is ways to get it but i'm keeping my mouth shut i already got an infraction for it, so just use one of this 2, they are both free all you need is your xp cd

    http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/pro...c/default.mspx
    http://www.virtualbox.org/


    PS: VM Server is not what you would use, you would use VMware workstation.
    Scion CarPC

    Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

    How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by bes51659 View Post
      I've got a winXP licens so I don't think it is a violation...
      Well that's what everyone will say when they ask for an XP image, CD or ISO, so I'm afraid this would be considered asking for warez.

      I suggest you remove it before someone else does.

      This is a friendly warning, don't let it need be an official one.

      Comment


      • #4
        VMware Server is free, just make your own image.

        http://vmware.com/products/server/

        Dean

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks guys!

          I will try workstation on its 30 day trial licens first.

          Edit ok, 4? :-)
          My car installation mp3car thread "showing off project"

          Comment


          • #6
            Use the eval of VMware, VMware Player, or even Microsoft Virtual PC, and use your XP disk to install onto your own image. http://www.technibble.com/how-to-cre...rtual-machine/

            [covermybutt] All files linked to are configuration and empty disk images. No warez. Warez is bad. Don't steal software, support it so you have a right to complain if this or that doesn't work. [/covermybutt]
            After a 2 year break, I'm back! There are so many new and familiar faces here!
            New vehicle, new ideas!

            Chryssi - The Changeling CarPC Project

            Comment


            • #7
              free way. install linux use virtualbox. better then vmware. There are many linux distros you can download. Maybe build a dual boot windows/linux and then you can load all the freeness of linux

              The real information needed here is the best way to take that created vmware virtualbox etc.. image and put it onto the carputer drive.
              Um, I guess this is where you put something witty.WITTY

              My Web site, in the design stage. http://home.comcast.net/~cstrachn

              Modified RRSkinEditor http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65723

              Comment


              • #8
                Lots of gold nugget links and idee's! Thanks!

                I have a dual Suse / winXp on my host already so I might go that way if my just downloaded VMWare Server eval runs out. At the moment I have found that 512MB of RAM is not enough to create the image :-) Think I need at lease 2GB.

                Originally posted by pRoFiT View Post
                The real information needed here is the best way to take that created vmware virtualbox etc.. image and put it onto the carputer drive.
                I though that it was always a good idee to install OS rather than copying an image. Was I wrong?

                To restaure a PC during test of a winamp I used ghost to restore the system, but from what I recall I had to create the baseline on the very same PC.
                My car installation mp3car thread "showing off project"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by pRoFiT View Post
                  free way. install linux use virtualbox. better then vmware. There are many linux distros you can download. Maybe build a dual boot windows/linux and then you can load all the freeness of linux

                  The real information needed here is the best way to take that created vmware virtualbox etc.. image and put it onto the carputer drive.
                  Just an FYI, virutalbox runs on windows too. You don't absolutely need linux to run it.

                  Virtualbox is quite inferior to vmware. USB support is lacking, it needs better network support, etc. But for free, it doesn't get any better.
                  Tidder

                  Try RevFE
                  The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.


                  I Wish I could ban people

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                    Just an FYI, virutalbox runs on windows too. You don't absolutely need linux to run it.

                    Virtualbox is quite inferior to vmware. USB support is lacking, it needs better network support, etc. But for free, it doesn't get any better.
                    +1

                    VMWare is one of the best virtual machine software packages.
                    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X