Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which OS for a low spec Machine??

Hi all,

I am, searching around, looking for people who have had experiece with a lower spec carputer machines, by this I mean:

P120 processor
    48mb RAM
    5.6" LCD
    Irman Remote

...are the essential componants. My question is which OS will give me the best boot time still making use of these componants.

I am currently running win lite98 micro and booting in around 50 secs straight to winamp as the shell, any improvements... Linux... Dos..

I realise that similar questions have been asked before relating to OS boot times, but am looking for info specifically on the lower spec machine. I have been reading this board for about 3 years now but have been away for a while and wondering if there are any ground breaking improvements in this area!??

Cheers for your help, Keepy
    Audio:Pioneer KEH P6900R, CD multi Changer, CD-RB20 Aux input adapter.
    System:AMD550, 192 Ram, 13Gb HDD, Via Micro ATX, o/b Sound, 32Mb G/c, T/screen In-Dash 7" LCD VGA, IrMan, 120w inverter.
    O/s:Windows 98lite
    Software:MediaEngine 1.7.7

DOS will improve it A LOT, but then you're not really using your lcd screen. Linux willl improve it if you take some time not running all the un-needed services that will be installed and by default running.
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

Comment

To take advantage of that LCD your best bet is Win95, which runs fine on a p120. If you want to keep 98 micro, with 48mb ram if all your running is Winamp, you should disable virtual memory, which will kill the paging file and should speed up your boot time a little.
      -------------------------------------------
      (=========-) 99% complete
      --------------------------------------------
      AMD K6/2 500 @ 450mhz to keep heat and power usage down, 64Mb, slim CDrom drive, 64mb USB pendrive for MP3 transfer, 10Gb 2.5" drive for MP3, USB>RS232
      All jammed in external CDROM drive case.
      Kenwood KVC-1000r In-Dash LCD. x-10 MouseRemote. Destinator V2 Gps. DC-DC with onboard Shutdown controller.
      ----------------------------------------------

Comment

Also, how much of that time is it in POST? my v1 machine was of similar specs and took nearly a minute to finish its post process, with no way to make it shorter (slowly double checked ram). If its windows itself, 98lite is the best you're going to do if you want to make use of the lcd (without going through the trouble of linux).
        -Nick

Comment

Cheers for the suggestions lads, have taken them all into concideration and decided to not be such a tight b*st*rd and have sheeled out for an upgrade mobo and processor, I have found a Intel® Pentium®, AMD K6 VIA Apollo MVP4 Chipset + VIA VT82C686B for £30 at my local computer fair.

Will be putting sugestions inot effect this after noon!

ta again!
          Audio:Pioneer KEH P6900R, CD multi Changer, CD-RB20 Aux input adapter.
          System:AMD550, 192 Ram, 13Gb HDD, Via Micro ATX, o/b Sound, 32Mb G/c, T/screen In-Dash 7" LCD VGA, IrMan, 120w inverter.
          O/s:Windows 98lite
          Software:MediaEngine 1.7.7

Comment

Originally posted by hijinks21
            Linux willl improve it if you take some time not running all the un-needed services that will be installed and by default running.
            Only crappy distros run a lot of unneeded services by default.

I recommend using Gentoo.
            SOON THERE.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivar
              I recommend using Gentoo. [/B]
              Or my fav, Slackware

Comment

How about QNX??

Comment

I hate to bring this back up it it does sound good. I mean QNX. I just got the ISO. It's free from QNX site. I want to try it out and see how it goes.
                  - Lwin M. Maung
                  If it's stuck, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway

Comment

D.o.s.?
                    Mp3 Carputer Progress : 50 % - Pentium 100 Mhz - 16 MB RAM - 210 MB HD
                    Sound Blaster Pro 8 Bits - InfraRed Creative Remote Control - MpxPlay

Comment

Originally posted by Pichi
                      D.o.s.?
                      I like DOS. My POST is 20 seconds. My boot after that is about 5 seconds until playing music. DOS is fast.

Rob
                      Old Systems retired due to new car
                      New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Working...
                      X