Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how fast does your p4 2.4ghz need to boot up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how fast does your p4 2.4ghz need to boot up?

Hi all
    just trying to gauge if my system needs some tweaking
    my pc seems to boot up slower now
    It's a P4 with a 2.4ghz cpu and 1gig of ram (so hardware wise I don't think it's that slow)
    It takes 1 min and 25 seconds now from the time I press the button to the time I get my windows desktop and able to move the mouse.

How much time do your similarly equipped pc's ( 2.4ghz cpu and 1gig of ram) need to boot?

thanks

boot times are not as much processor based, but hard drive related, depends on the RPMs of the hard drive, the partitions on it, how full it is, and how you have tweaked your OS.
    Scion CarPC

Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

Comment

Originally posted by Injector View Post
      boot times are not as much processor based, but hard drive related, depends on the RPMs of the hard drive, the partitions on it, how full it is, and how you have tweaked your OS.
      hmmm interesting, my boot drive is a travelstar 20gb with 4200rpm
      I keep my data on a iomega ego 250gb usb drive (I picked it cause it was rated as being the most durable by popular mechanics http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...s/4275478.html)
      thanks
      my os is un-modded
      I did see someone on here post a copy of some ini's? (don't remember it was a while ago)
      anyways it was some text files to copy and paste into people's pc's to make them startup faster as it was a stripped down file with less network related configurations.
      Can't seem to find it now tough

Comment

My system is a p4 2.4 intel, w/1gig ram and a 7200rpm laptop hardrive. My hard drive is very organized with only what i need on it and my boot time to get into windows from a cold boot is about 30-40 seconds, about just under a minute from the time it starts up til roadrunner starts playing music.

But, i have done tons of tweaks to my os and am satisfied with my boot times..

Comment

Originally posted by blackcar View Post
          hmmm interesting, my boot drive is a travelstar 20gb with 3200rpm
          I keep my data on a iomega ego 250gb usb drive (I picked it cause it was rated as being the most durable by popular mechanics http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...s/4275478.html)
          thanks
          my os is un-modded
          I did see someone on here post a copy of some ini's? (don't remember it was a while ago)
          anyways it was some text files to copy and paste into people's pc's to make them startup faster as it was a stripped down file with less network related configurations.
          Can't seem to find it now tough
          considering that your HD is 3200 RPM the time you're getting is good, as far as the txt files you're talking about they're probably config scripts for software like nLite that allows you to strip OS features
          Scion CarPC

Comment

considering that your HD is 3200 RPM the time you're getting is good, as far as the txt files you're talking about they're probably config scripts for software like nLite that allows you to strip OS features

sorry had a typo in there, it's a 4200rpm
            never realized hd speed made so much of a difference in boot time, otherwise I would have passed on the the usb drive and gotten another internal

Comment

Your P4 can get 20-30 second boot times if you do it right.

You will probably get 30-45 seconds without OS tweaks and just upgrading to a 7200RPM drive.

I have less than 30seconds on a c2d T7600 with 2Gb of RAM on a 7200RPM drive.
              Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
              1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
              30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
              15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
              Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

On my old P2 box (400mhz, 256mb ram, slow-as-hell hard drives), I had boot times of just under 5 seconds (not counting bios). While this was on Linux and not Windows, the same general stuff I did holds true.

Run defragmenter and scandisk somewhat regularly, to make sure files are together and not on a bad part of the disk. Otherwise it will take longer if a file needed for boot is broken up or on a bad sector.

Anything and everything that runs that you don't specifically need, get rid of. They're just slowing down your boot up.

If it's possible that something you don't need right away is being started on boot, see if you can have it start later, so it's not taking time in the boot.

You might also look into creating a seperate partition on the disk that will specifically hold only the stuff needed to boot (and as little else as possible). This will ensure that all the necessary files are in the same general location, and the drive doesn't need to look all over the place to find the files.

I seem to remember the outside (last partition) of the disk being the faster one, but don't quote me on that. I'll have to look it up if I get time.

There's more things you can do, this is just the beginnings of a list of stuff to optimize your boot.

Comment

Originally posted by nalav View Post
                  On my old P2 box (400mhz, 256mb ram, slow-as-hell hard drives), I had boot times of just under 5 seconds (not counting bios). While this was on Linux and not Windows, the same general stuff I did holds true.

Run defragmenter and scandisk somewhat regularly, to make sure files are together and not on a bad part of the disk. Otherwise it will take longer if a file needed for boot is broken up or on a bad sector.

Anything and everything that runs that you don't specifically need, get rid of. They're just slowing down your boot up.

If it's possible that something you don't need right away is being started on boot, see if you can have it start later, so it's not taking time in the boot.

You might also look into creating a seperate partition on the disk that will specifically hold only the stuff needed to boot (and as little else as possible). This will ensure that all the necessary files are in the same general location, and the drive doesn't need to look all over the place to find the files.

I seem to remember the outside (last partition) of the disk being the faster one, but don't quote me on that. I'll have to look it up if I get time.

There's more things you can do, this is just the beginnings of a list of stuff to optimize your boot.
                  come on did you just compare windows to Linux lol.

on the other hand you can add /sos to your boot line that way instead of the windows logo you will see what the computer is loading and what is taking the longest so you can disable it.
                  Scion CarPC

Comment

it also depends largely on your bios and bios setting. you can shave off up to 20sec if you set ur bios to most optimized setting.

Comment

does having the OS on a memory car help?
                      I was just looking at the sandisk 8GB SD Memory Cards
                      (since I keep my media files on an external drive anyways)

Comment

Originally posted by nalav View Post

thanks for the suggestions,
                        hmmm linux..... making me think now
                        I have centrafuse as the front end, wonder how it would behave if I ran a windows emulation program on linux to run the centrafuse...

Comment

nevermind on the linux, cnetrafuse dosn't work on it, eevn with wine

edit: seems like SD or SF is not a good solution either...

Comment

Originally posted by blackcar View Post
                            nevermind on the linux, cnetrafuse dosn't work on it, eevn with wine

edit: seems like SD or SF is not a good solution either...
                            take a look into the linuxICE thread and homepage, SD seems to be a thing of luck some people have a great experiences and some say it took about 2 min longer not to mention the whole EWF factor, if i was unhappy with my 45 sec cold boot times i would probably let nLite loose on my OS or buy a 10k rpm drive, but 45 sec cold boot / 20 sec hot boot is good enough for me.
                            Scion CarPC

Comment

ubuntu 9.04 boots in < 30 seconds from post stock without any optimizations on my atom 330 board. LinuxICE2 (pre-alpha) is currently based on 9.04.

Moblin 2.0 Beta boots in ~20 seconds on my atom 270(?) acer aspire from post, will probably boot in 10-15s on the atom 330 (is my guess).

Moblin is trying to get boots to < 10s ("about 5s" is what they say), Ubuntu is trying to do the same for 9.10.

Centrafuse's boon and bane: Windows XP. You are just too limited on what you can do to speed things up. CE would boot faster, but good luck getting a copy. Windows 7 may be the boon that everyone is been hoping for though...

Who knows, maybe CF3 may be emulatable?

The OpenICE team is working hard on getting a good, free alternative going on the Linux side. nGhost3 should be able to compete with SD2 and CF3 on many levels.
                              Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                              Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                              Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Working...
                              X