Dual display front end

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual display front end

Picked up a Samsung U70 USB screen in Akihabara couple of weeks ago.

Media Engine has been working nicely for me with a Spacenavigator map but will only support one display.

Anyone know what front end might support dual displays?

^ What he said.

Centrafuse 2 does have dual screen support, but Centrafuse 3 will have even better support, supporting not only dual displays, but also the ability for the second screen to have its own dedicated controls, and dual zone sound.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
      ^ What he said.

Centrafuse 2 does have dual screen support, but Centrafuse 3 will have even better support, supporting not only dual displays, but also the ability for the second screen to have its own dedicated controls, and dual zone sound.
      now that would be fiyah!!!
      i really like the dual zone capability
      trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Comment

Originally posted by trinybwoy View Post
        now that would be fiyah!!!
        i really like the dual zone capability
        Flux (creators of CF) are really trying to appeal to people with multi screen setups. Even with the limited control CF2 has with dual zone, Im really quite happy with it. I'm already updating my car for CF3, so all users can have the choice of headphones or main speakers.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
        4X MK808b
        3x Perixx Touchpads
        3x 7 inch Screens
        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

nGhost2 supports multi-zone. I'm currently working on a multi-touchscreen setup in Linux. Linux will soon (in the next version of ubuntu) support multiple pointers which will be a major cool thing for Linux.

I'm not sure how mutli-touchscreens works in windows, but if you have to share the same pointer with the other touchscreen, that kinda sucks. Maybe someone can enlighten me if that's the case on XP.
          Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
          Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
          Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Originally posted by kev000 View Post
            nGhost2 supports multi-zone. I'm currently working on a multi-touchscreen setup in Linux. Linux will soon (in the next version of ubuntu) support multiple pointers which will be a major cool thing for Linux.

I'm not sure how mutli-touchscreens works in windows, but if you have to share the same pointer with the other touchscreen, that kinda sucks. Maybe someone can enlighten me if that's the case on XP.
            As far as I know that's the case. Windows usually adds the second screen as a mirror of the first or an extension of the desktop. so your desktop stretched accross to screens.
            Same mouse pointer..
            New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
            New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
            "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderStick View Post
              As far as I know that's the case. Windows usually adds the second screen as a mirror of the first or an extension of the desktop. so your desktop stretched accross to screens.
              Same mouse pointer..
              In a multi touch setup though you don't really notice. I tested with 3 touch screens on my system with 4 more on the way and the mouse jumps instantly from screen to screen. The chances of everyone trying to do something different is so slim.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
              4X MK808b
              3x Perixx Touchpads
              3x 7 inch Screens
              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

In a multi touch setup though you don't really notice. I tested with 3 touch screens on my system with 4 more on the way and the mouse jumps instantly from screen to screen. The chances of everyone trying to do something different is so slim.
                Even with simultaneous dragging?

Comment

Even with simultaneous dragging?
                  But thats the thing, the chance of everyone trying to drag something at the same time is so slim, don't you think? If it were an issue MS would have addressed that issue.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                  4X MK808b
                  3x Perixx Touchpads
                  3x 7 inch Screens
                  1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Take a look at how Air Canada does it with their enRoute system. There are video screens in the headrest of every seat on the plane. Each user has their own menu and their own mouse pointer and can watch any videos they choose to watch. Their entire system is run in Linux.
                    Ampie Case
                    2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
                    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                    Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
                    Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
                    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Originally posted by Maheriano View Post
                      Take a look at how Air Canada does it with their enRoute system. There are video screens in the headrest of every seat on the plane. Each user has their own menu and their own mouse pointer and can watch any videos they choose to watch. Their entire system is run in Linux.
                      I have to assume though that the way there setup works is that they are using virtualzation. Meaning they have one central system that holds the virtual desktops then the users access that. That of course will have its own mouse. In this case we are talking about multiple screens that are sharing on desktop PC in extended mode. Now my setup does have an option to switch over to a personal system per seat, which would have its own mouse per screen because they are each on separate systems. Anytime though when you are sharing the same desktop, you will have to share a mouse.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                      4X MK808b
                      3x Perixx Touchpads
                      3x 7 inch Screens
                      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

I have to assume though that the way there setup works is that they are using virtualzation. Meaning they have one central system that holds the virtual desktops then the users access that. That of course will have its own mouse. In this case we are talking about multiple screens that are sharing on desktop PC in extended mode. Now my setup does have an option to switch over to a personal system per seat, which would have its own mouse per screen because they are each on separate systems. Anytime though when you are sharing the same desktop, you will have to share a mouse.
                        or, each screen is it's own independent XSesssion -meaning separate input resources. It very well may work that each headrest is a small embedded computer (ARM) which connects to the server just to get data (the video/music). Although, I can't really think of how they accomplish the large amount of streaming they use. I just flew Emirates a few days ago. They use a system called "ICE" - Information, Communication, Entertainment. Cool idea, but the system ran like crap: slow feed back, looked old school, took ages to boot, etc. I need to get them to use nGhost+LinuxICE instead, hehe.

Comment

or, each screen is it's own independent XSesssion -meaning separate input resources. It very well may work that each headrest is a small embedded computer (ARM) which connects to the server just to get data (the video/music). Although, I can't really think of how they accomplish the large amount of streaming they use. I just flew Emirates a few days ago. They use a system called "ICE" - Information, Communication, Entertainment. Cool idea, but the system ran like crap: slow feed back, looked old school, took ages to boot, etc. I need to get them to use nGhost+LinuxICE instead, hehe.
                          I agree, these setups aren't powerful yet. I tried to use a setup from NComputing which is a small box that connects to a main PC via ethernet and virtualization software. My big issue is that it was so limited, no USB support (only memory sticks) and was so slow. I then looked at other virtualization companies and although they were better the speed was slow, 1ghz being there higher model. Setting up a complete system or systems, was just easier. Thankfully I drive a SUV so I had alot of space to work with. In the future virtualization will be hugeeeeeeeeee, alot of companies are switching to it as power increases.

My setup is awkward but the way it runs is I have the main system, all the screens are connected to that. The main system pushes all the stuff like TV, Video, Music, tons of games, yadda yadda yadda. Problem is I decided that I really wanted each user the ability to do their own thing if need be. So i decided to use KVM switches, 6 of them to give the user the ability to hit a button and go to personal PC. I didnt go over board with power, I made the personal computers a modest 1.6 GHZ with 2 GB of RAM, 1 GB which is dedicated to the EWF and HORM. Each unit will run about 181.00 for MoBo, HDD, and RAM.... Thats cheaper then the units that they sell for virtualization. Also the KVMs are cool, they support audio, say your on PC2, but want to listen to PC1, you can hit hot keys to do so. The personal units do not have the ability to play on the speakers, they can only be used with headsets. I did that to make it personal and kill some complications.

Also as a side note, Kev000 the ARM idea is actually a good one. Nice thing is, is that FLUX has thought about the potential. They have actually created a Front End for ARM system, basically anything running Windows CE 5 and up, which includes Window Mobile 2003 and up. Its currently in BETA though and will eventually need plug in designers. I think that will be a cheap and easy solution.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                          4X MK808b
                          3x Perixx Touchpads
                          3x 7 inch Screens
                          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

To the CF download page!!

Comment

Working...
                            X