X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Maps Navigation

http://www.google.com/mobile/navigat...0gps&dc=gh0smm

Google plz, x86 version!
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Wow. That is really nice. Especially the voice search and street view.

That totally shreds the iPhone apps and puts a big +1 in the Android column.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

i am praying they make a pc's verison
      perhaps download all the maps onto your pc
      so we dont have to rely on the internet.
      trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Comment

I guess one option to get this in the car would be to run the Andriod 2.0 emulator and install the Google Navigation app. Sort of a band-aid solution until something better comes out. I'm definitely on this. I have been using Amaze GPS on my WM phone and have been thinking of trying to emulate to CarPC, using a WM emulator but this Google app looks way better.

Comment

internet in the car is the holy grail of car computing. I'm convinced the days of non connected IVI systems are numbered.

Comment

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/14/a...oid-on-your-d/

Install Android on your CarPC and then the Google Nav App.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigalsun View Post
              I guess one option to get this in the car would be to run the Andriod 2.0 emulator and install the Google Navigation app. Sort of a band-aid solution until something better comes out. I'm definitely on this. I have been using Amaze GPS on my WM phone and have been thinking of trying to emulate to CarPC, using a WM emulator but this Google app looks way better.
              found this:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...u-115152.shtml

this means you can run android apps on LinuxICE!!

Sucks though it's emulated...

Comment

Do you think its a coincidence that google maps terms of service prohibit anyone from using google maps for in vehicle navigation-without paying per use licensing costs.....and then google releases an in vehicle navigation app only for their OS? They're going to start using everything they can to increase androids market share.

Hopefully, im wrong but I don't see a chance in hell that this will make it to any other platform except via emulation. Even then I wouldn't be surprised if Google tries to stop that.
                openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                - Always Recruiting Developers -
                Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

I suppose this depends on Google's business model. Do they really want to make money off of Androids, or the knowledge of what people do with their mobile phones. I would think that it is the latter and that a business model for free nav is not too far behind.
                  Suggestions or Comments on the forums? Post here.

mp3Car store order questions or products that you would like to sell on the store? Email store @ mp3car.com

Feel free to pm me if you:
                  • Have a general comment on mp3Car's products or services
                  • Have a product you would like to have tested by the mp3Car community
                  • Have a file you would like mp3Car to host
                  • Have a cool idea that would improve the forums

Comment

Seeing the videos of Droid in action, especially the way it automagically goes into a car mode when in a car cradle, thought this was an awsome setup. It blows away iguidance for sure.

This article says they are trying to bring this to the iphone also:

http://www.electronista.com/articles...icial.with.3d/

Comment

Google as an information aggregator is in a great place in the market because they can deliver loads of info to devices. However, I think they are going about it the wrong way. Android is not an open platform, it locks you into android just like the iphone does. Canonical, the company who funds Ubuntu development, tried to get android apps running native. I think they dropped this. Google just doesn't care about the larger ecosystem that is begging for apps like this.

I hope Nokia and the other Linux players will step up and get us the apps we want.

Do they really want to make money off of Androids, or the knowledge of what people do with their mobile phones. I would think that it is the latter and that a business model for free nav is not too far behind.
                      I think google just wants to get their name in everyone's head. Use gmail for mail, talk to your friends on your google phone using google talk, surf the web with your google chrome OS powered netbook. It's all about getting you to use all their products, and slipping in ads whereever you are.

Comment

Yeah, but the value proposition is pretty compelling. I don't mind using most things Google. They are usually either pretty good at guessing what I was looking for, or the ads aren't all that intrusive considering the software that you get.
                        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                        Want to:

Comment

Apparently there are plans to make this ad supported in the future:
                          http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/29/te...ies/29gps.html

That would get a major "No" vote from me.
                          openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                          - Always Recruiting Developers -
                          Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
                            Apparently there are plans to make this ad supported in the future:
                            http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/29/te...ies/29gps.html

That would get a major "No" vote from me.
                            So maybe a larger POI icon for those who pay for their advertising in the google nav software. I wouldnt care. I honestly cant see them going to an ad that would take up precious screen real estate.

If its free, and it works well, I am in.
                            - Project: Unified Car Control
                            - Original OpenMobile Interface Designer

Comment

:WHS: Don't care as long as it's not incredibly annoying. Also, if it is ad supported, then there's no reason for them not to develop it for other mobile platforms.
                              Want to:

Comment

Working...
                              X