Working on creating a Frontend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on creating a Frontend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am working on creating a front end using aston 1.9.6.. RR is to time consuming to configure, plus I really don't like many of the skins out there. All the other good looking frontends cost too much, or are way to hard or time consuming to configure(if they even work at all). I have a screen shot of it that I will post today as soon as I get home. All replies and suggestions are encouraged and will be welcome. I am new to the carputer thing, but am have a good time with this project(will be glad when its completed)!!!
    Linux(Learning the curve...Like when driving!!!)
    Worklog!!!http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...l-worklog.html

If this Aston is what I think it is... then I dont see this working at all. From what I can tell, its essentially just a "skin" for windows. So in essence it doesn't function as a front end for in-car use at all. How do you plan to navigate in your car when your front end is designed around an operating system that requires a mouse and keyboard? Just some things to consider before completely giving up on the front ends out there. Interested in seeing this screen-shot.

Comment

Just curious what front ends you tried other then road runner that you weren't happy with?
      openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
      - Always Recruiting Developers -
      Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

IMO, using bluezx3's config utility for rr, it is very easy-- i am software dumb, and figured it out in a couple hours.

i am trying to understand how it is considered less time consuming to make your own front end than to pick from the large amount of different ones available, that are heavily supported, documented, and have corrected a lot of the bugs(thoug i understand taht some prefer to make their own for fun ).

from what i have read, openmobile, and revfe both seem to be making leaps and bounds where rider runner left off, or was missing(mostly what it couldn't do in the way of speed and simplicity), so try to give those a shot also.

there are plenty of free fe's available, but i beleive that the paid ones do allow you to have a semi-full featured trial version, so don't feel obligated to buy one before trying it.

i looked through that aston program briefly, and it seems that it is more of a skinning program for the look and feel of windows, than something that a simple and easy to use front end could be based off of.
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

It'll take less time to configure FE [x] than it would be to write your own. Same goes for skinning. And if FE [x] is too expensive, factor in your time in creating your own (lets say $60/hr), you'd have to create your own in less than 2hrs to justify the time.
          Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
          Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
          Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

i will have to say, anything done with Aston, IMHO, will not be worth the time put into it
            - Project: Unified Car Control
            - Original OpenMobile Interface Designer

Comment

aston is more than a skin it replaces explorer.exe, but i still don't see this working

Comment

He did end up posting a screenshot on another thread here. It sure "looks" like an FE but who knows until he comes back to explain better.
                PROGRESS:
                Hardware: 100%
                Software: 99% - Always upgrading and improving.
                Installation: 100%

WORKLOG:
                2005 F-150

Comment

hmm... looking more into Aston, I think replacing the windows shell is better than overriding it the way most FE's do. At least in theory it sounds better. But still, unless you have a better reason than "i don't like the skins" or "it's too hard to configure" or "Its too expensive", you are probably just going to be wasting your time on a never-ending project that will never be as featured as say, nGhost.
                  Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                  Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                  Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Originally posted by kev000 View Post
                    hmm... looking more into Aston, I think replacing the windows shell is better than overriding it the way most FE's do. At least in theory it sounds better. But still, unless you have a better reason than "i don't like the skins" or "it's too hard to configure" or "Its too expensive", you are probably just going to be wasting your time on a never-ending project that will never be as featured as say, nGhost.
                    Well any front end can be used to replace the windows shell...thats a ten second config. I think most don't do it by default because of users wanting the ability to jump to explorer if something goes wrong.

Comment

I don't see how it can be possible to create a completely new frontend if one cannot handle the task of configuring a frontend that is already written. Isn't that kind of like saying, I cannot figure out how to set a clock so I am just going to build a clock. In the end, even if you do build the clock, you still cannot set it!

Maybe I am missing something here, but best of luck on the programming locs!
                      Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

Comment

Here is a screen shot of what I have so far...

Before you ask, the adult material button is password protected, so the kids can't view whats inside, and the folder is hidden. Gonna work on making some of the buttons that will sit on the bottom of each app screen to control the application. Gonna take a little time, but once it is done I will upload it to mp3car for all to try out. Each app will run using their regular program skins(if they have skin changers you will need to use the mouse and keyboard method to set that up...not that savvy to rewrite entire programs). Only plan to make a basic, easy to edit attractive control console buttons that will sit on a bar at the bottom of your screen.

Comment

What app will you use for GPS?
                          2007 Camry Altise In-dash Car PC

Comment

When I get enough money to purchase a GPS program, I'll just use the GPS program controls to control it(all I have to do is set one of my desktop buttons path to the programs "exe" file). Most GPS software is already Carpc friendly with its own skins on it own. That saves me work right there on that one cause I won't need to do anything extra setting up GPS other than that. My choice would be iGuidance!!! The way I am setting my carpc up, I won't need a true, full fledged frontend(I want to still have that pure desktop feel with mine(for when someone else is at the wheel...I can be on it like I'm at home...Got a nice wireless keyboard/mouse that I keep in the glove box). Still got the old trusty task bar auto hidden at the bottom. But also want to be able to do basic stuff when driving. Searching for a good voice recognition program for my phone and music needs now(hopefully a free one). Don't plan on doing much computing while driving beyond GPS, phone, and music anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by blk02si View Post
                              I don't see how it can be possible to create a completely new frontend if one cannot handle the task of configuring a frontend that is already written. Isn't that kind of like saying, I cannot figure out how to set a clock so I am just going to build a clock. In the end, even if you do build the clock, you still cannot set it!

Maybe I am missing something here, but best of luck on the programming locs!
                              It's an app launcher not a full front end. It's just a slightly more graphical way of launching apps then clicking icons on a desktop-hence the easy configuration.

Comment

Working...
                              X