Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 7 Multi Computer Family Pack.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Windows 7 Multi Computer Family Pack.

    I saw that Windows has a Family pack for Win7, that includes the ability to upgrade 3 computers. I was wondering if Win7 installs like WinXP did? What I mean is, I would put in my Win XP upgrade disk, then when it can not find a previous OS disk, I simply put in my Windows 2000 CD or Windows 98 CD, and it would go ahead and install Win XP. Does Win 7 do something similar?

    I have recently fell in love with Win 7, and since I am upgrading my setup to a core 2 quad, I think Win 7 will look and run amazing. So that would be one copy. Then the second copy would be for the 6 INTEL ATOM boards I want to build. I was planning on building one unit, then making a image once everything is installed and registered and then putting the image on the other 5 systems, since all the hardware is exactly the same. I am hoping Win 7 will not know the difference and run ok. The last copy would go on my retired AMD Car PC, which I will use in the house.

    Another question is, do you think a INTEL 1.6 Ghz Atom N270, will be strong enough to run Win 7? It is only single core, but I will be maxing it out to 2 GB. I dont mind if these arent super fast, but I most def dont want them to be super slow either. If anything I could always put Win XP on them, but I would like to know what you guys think!
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  • #2
    read here http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/cle...rade_media.asp

    Full install using upgrade Disk.

    each PC is suppose to have its own key, even if it's a thin client.

    If you have an edu email or know someone that has one, go here, 30bux each copy. http://windows7.digitalriver.com/sto...splayHomePage?

    Comment


    • #3
      The family pack isnt a bad idea, I say go for it. The upgrade procedure is way different than it was with xp, but just follow that link above to do your clean install and you should be set.
      -James
      Car: 2004 GTI VR6 24v Turbo 2.8L, GT35R, 630cc, Unitronic, Bosch 044, etc, etc..
      Main PC:i7 [email protected], 6GB DDR3, MSI X-58 Pro-E, Win 7 x64 RTM, Scythe Mugen2, 128GB G.Skill Falcon, 2x ATI4850 512MB Crossfire, Auzentech X-Fi Forte, Grado Labs SR-80

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by f1ip View Post
        read here http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/cle...rade_media.asp

        Full install using upgrade Disk.

        each PC is suppose to have its own key, even if it's a thin client.

        If you have an edu email or know someone that has one, go here, 30bux each copy. http://windows7.digitalriver.com/sto...splayHomePage?
        Well what I was trying to do is make Windows 7 think that its the same PC, since all the units are going to have the same drive, mobo, and ram. I will activate Windows 7 on one PC, then clone the image and put it on all the others. Infact that is what I was going to do in general.... finish the pc with all software that will be needed, clone the drive and setup the other units.

        Originally posted by Extide View Post
        The family pack isnt a bad idea, I say go for it. The upgrade procedure is way different than it was with xp, but just follow that link above to do your clean install and you should be set.
        Yea, I had done some research and if you have VISTA, you can do a in place install. If you have XP or Win 2000, you have to do a clean install.
        Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

        1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
        4X MK808b
        3x Perixx Touchpads
        3x 7 inch Screens
        1X 7 inch motorized Screen
        1x Win 7 PC

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
          Well what I was trying to do is make Windows 7 think that its the same PC, since all the units are going to have the same drive, mobo, and ram. I will activate Windows 7 on one PC, then clone the image and put it on all the others. Infact that is what I was going to do in general.... finish the pc with all software that will be needed, clone the drive and setup the other units.
          It will still be able to tell that the pc's are not the same.
          -James
          Car: 2004 GTI VR6 24v Turbo 2.8L, GT35R, 630cc, Unitronic, Bosch 044, etc, etc..
          Main PC:i7 [email protected], 6GB DDR3, MSI X-58 Pro-E, Win 7 x64 RTM, Scythe Mugen2, 128GB G.Skill Falcon, 2x ATI4850 512MB Crossfire, Auzentech X-Fi Forte, Grado Labs SR-80

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Extide View Post
            It will still be able to tell that the pc's are not the same.
            From the Mac Address and what not?
            Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

            1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
            4X MK808b
            3x Perixx Touchpads
            3x 7 inch Screens
            1X 7 inch motorized Screen
            1x Win 7 PC

            Comment


            • #7
              Yeah there are various unique identifiers on pieces of hardware, mac addresses, serial numbers, etc.
              -James
              Car: 2004 GTI VR6 24v Turbo 2.8L, GT35R, 630cc, Unitronic, Bosch 044, etc, etc..
              Main PC:i7 [email protected], 6GB DDR3, MSI X-58 Pro-E, Win 7 x64 RTM, Scythe Mugen2, 128GB G.Skill Falcon, 2x ATI4850 512MB Crossfire, Auzentech X-Fi Forte, Grado Labs SR-80

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Extide View Post
                Yeah there are various unique identifiers on pieces of hardware, mac addresses, serial numbers, etc.
                I think I am going to cross that bridge when I get to it.

                Do you think Win 7 will run ok on a single core atom though? (1.6 ghz, with 2 GB Ram), if not I could always put XP on those, most likely nlited!
                Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

                1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                4X MK808b
                3x Perixx Touchpads
                3x 7 inch Screens
                1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                1x Win 7 PC

                Comment


                • #9
                  yep

                  sorry, double post.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    win7 will work fine on a single core atom at 1.6ghz, im running it on the slower 1.33ghz one with no problems and it is snappy enouth, just dont try video editing or the like on it as with all atom systems, plays 720p video fine. faster than it was with XP on it...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X