Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fastest way to copy library over local network..?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastest way to copy library over local network..?

I have just about 60gb of my music library on my mac running Leopard all consolidated in one folder, then arranged by artists inside that folder.

On my mac I have all sharing options turned on... FTB, mac file share, SAMBA (windows file sharing), etc.. I just don't know whats going to be best. . . Maybe there's another 3rd party way out there you guys suggest.

I'm copying to my netbook with stripped xp SP3 on it with a 120gb hd to get it ready to permanently installed in my truck. I'd just take the hard drive out and throw it in my external firewire enclosure but the acer aspire one is a bi*** to take apart and swap hard drives... should have copied the music before putting the hard drive in and putting it all back together.

Suggestions?

thanks.

windows/mac software suggestions are both accepted Ive got win7 and os/x on my powerbook(EDIT: i mean macbook pro.. miss my ole powerbook) thanks
    Age: 18 | Car: Isuzu Rodeo 01 | http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...s-eee-box.html

Drag/drop is about the best you can do.
    For large-scale file transfers, a wired network is a must. A gigabit network is ideal for raw file transfer speed, assuming you have capable hardware.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Theres software that can beat out a standard samba transfer but its very expensive (commercial use mainly) and not really worth it. Best thing is use a wired network like DarquePervert said.
      * If you do happen to have a gigabit network make sure jumbo frames are enabled.
      * If your using a wireless make sure you have full signal strength.
      * Ensure both computers are not being used for the transfer and close any running applications that may use a lot of bandwidth or hard disk access.
      * Find a nice book to read while you wait......
      openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
      - Always Recruiting Developers -
      Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Wired, not wireless. Drag and drop and wait. It ought to work alright, let it go overnight.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Sync Toy 2.0. Itīs great. It keeps a log if there's any error, so you can run again and copy only the missing files come next morning.

If you try the explorer or other simple program, it may stop mid way and you'll never know which file was caused the problem (maybe because it was being used, directory was open, too long file name on destination, etc.)
          Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
          Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

I utility i would like to point out for 2000,xp,vista users is HoboCopy.
            Hobocopy on external site due to main site having issues atm.

Hobocopy is a awesome little app that allows you to use windows shadow service to copy files via command prompt. This program allows a broad range of command line options which when combined with a good batch file. Will let you copy any time with out a drama at all. Even when in use or locked by the system. I use it with my weekly sync combined with the commandline option of using overwrite existing/modified times.

It is something i suggest a few people have a look at, Will save a few headaches
            2004 Holden WL Caprice Auto GENIII
            Base System = Raspberry Pi
            Everything else is pending for now as switched from a Mini-ITX setup

Comment

what dp said but more than likely if you had that network you couldnt be here asking questions. If only you had an external hdd with esata... that would be faster...

Or a cloak and wheelbarrow...
              Wait thats for storming the castle...

Another thought would be if you had four ports on the data computer and a bunch of wireless cards on the other computer you could... nevermind I have gone to far again...
              Originally posted by menudude
              thank you all for your help minus the useless post by sjlucky...

Comment

Thanks for all your suggests, all are great ideas and will be considered in future needs.

The netbook doesn't have 802.11n or does it have a gigabit ethernet adapter, although my macbook has both, but.. meh, still not wanting to remove the hard drive from the netbook, I proceeded to go over wireless because a network cable wasn't handy. I enabled windows file sharing in os/x and started the xfer of my music folder, a half hour later, it reported that over 6 hours remained, bleh. I canceled, enabled FTP file sharing in os/x, ftp'd to my macbook on the netbook, drag n' drop.. 1hr 45m later, 57gb of music transferred completely
                Age: 18 | Car: Isuzu Rodeo 01 | http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...s-eee-box.html

Comment

52 hours of contemplating later... Simple file sharing takes 6:30, ftp takes 1:45 for a one time operation. LOL Just had to point that out.

Comment

lmao!

Well, I just hadn't been on the board until today. It really did take under two hours :P ... thats funny.

Comment

I love my 5Ghz 802.11Nd2 router and adapters Transfer many Gb's of stuff in minutes. Can't beat good 'ol drag-n-drop over high speed wifi.
                      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Working...
                      X