Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Front End is Suitable for These Awesome Voice Commands?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Front End is Suitable for These Awesome Voice Commands?

Hello all

After much tinkering, the hardware portion of my car computer seems to work correctly.

I've been testing Centrafuse and Ride Runner so far and they seem to play media well. Although, is there a current (actively developed / supported) front end software that can take the following commands, without a lot of custom programming / reinventing the wheel?

Complex commands that are spoken instead of taking eyes off the road to do touch screen interaction:

1. Voice-controlled navigation
    "Find nearest Wells Fargo ATM"
    "List nearby Mexican restaurants" "sort by Yelp rating"
    "Take me home"

2. Voice-activated phone dialing
    "Call John Smith"
    "Dial 555-1212"

3. Voice-controlled media playback
    "Tune to 88.1 FM"
    "Play Michael Bolton"
    "Play classical"

4. Text (message) to speech, speech to text (message)
    Text: "Where r u?"
    Reply: "I'm 5 blocks away, see you soon"

I looked at a few videos on Youtube and saw some neat implementations, although some were only taking simple commands (such as "volume up" that can be easily done with finger presses without looking).

I appreciate your input and advise.

check ice3, there was a demo of almost exactly as u described. However its still in development. sure look promising though.

Comment

I think this is what you had in mind:
      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/open...ussed-ces.html
      openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
      - Always Recruiting Developers -
      Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

oopsy, no wonder why i couldn't find the link.
        thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

That's it!

It reminds me how the quick add in Google Calendar behaves: you enter a string, and Google deciphers the time / date / description from that string of text.

It seems that the demonstration software may be capable of decoding natural speech commands, although it makes sense to have the software to listen for a few keywords (eg. "Find the nearest...") and arguments ("Chevron gas station") for less CPU overhead.

Essentially,

"Find the nearest 4-star Yelp-rated Mexican restaurant"

...compared to...

"Find restaurant" "What kind?" "Mexican" "Additional criteria?" "Yelp-rated" "Rating?" "4-stars and above"

I'd probably be satisfied if the software understands somewhere in between the two, and can hook onto the API of a particular front end. I guess the million dollar question is: does it exist as a one-stop package / solution?

Comment

Originally posted by dandydanny View Post
            That's it!

It reminds me how the quick add in Google Calendar behaves: you enter a string, and Google deciphers the time / date / description from that string of text.

It seems that the demonstration software may be capable of decoding natural speech commands, although it makes sense to have the software to listen for a few keywords (eg. "Find the nearest...") and arguments ("Chevron gas station") for less CPU overhead.

Essentially,

"Find the nearest 4-star Yelp-rated Mexican restaurant"

...compared to...

"Find restaurant" "What kind?" "Mexican" "Additional criteria?" "Yelp-rated" "Rating?" "4-stars and above"

I'd probably be satisfied if the software understands somewhere in between the two, and can hook onto the API of a particular front end. I guess the million dollar question is: does it exist as a one-stop package / solution?
            Well its a little more complicated then that but thats ok. Its available as a one stop package for openMobile only (free of charge) currently still in testing but scheduled for release with OM 0.6. If the demand is high enough it may become available for other FEs for a fee.
            openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
            - Always Recruiting Developers -
            Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Working...
            X