Hardware acceleration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware acceleration

I'm not sure how many of you devs have gotten a chance to dig into direct2d but I think it could represent an easy CPU to GPU transition in some of the FEs around today.

The big questions though:
    * How long until we could push a vista/7 only solution?
    * Would it be more feasible if it fell back to the native software api's to push it immediately?

Thoughts? Anyone dig into it yet?
    openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
    - Always Recruiting Developers -
    Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Solution for what? Are you asking on a general application level, frontend specific, or what?

RevFE has the ability to use OpenGL to smooth window transitions and animations, but the framework for it is very simplistic and unfinished at the moment. OpenGL may be a bit intimidating to Windows users, but there's some pretty nice direct2d .net stuff isn't there?
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

Comment

Well direct2d is pretty much function compatible with GDI/GDI+ so it represents an easy transition to hardware accelerated graphics. Where as openGL or direct3D is a lot more work and at a lot lower level (hence the reason its not seen very often in the carPC world).

The only thing that prevents me from saying hell yea though is that XP users would be screwed.

Comment

Why is that? Is direct2d vista/7 only?

To be honest, a lot of people are still running XP, and probably will be for years.
        "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
        RevFE
        My Shop

Comment

Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
          Why is that? Is direct2d vista/7 only?

To be honest, a lot of people are still running XP, and probably will be for years.
          Yup Vista/7/Server08. I actually just heard firefox will be using it in version 3.7+ on vista/7 so maybe the dual rendering engine isn't all bad...could even give users an incentive for 7 over xp.

Comment

Dual rendering engine isnt horrible, just make your application modular enough and that shouldn't be difficult to do (tis what I do)
            RevFE
            My Shop

Comment

its not the dual rendering engines that bothers me its the dual performance implications. I would need to test that everything works smoothly when rendered with software....which then would really under utilize the hardware acceleration. Or more likely I would need to set two different standards for performance (one with some eye candy, one with lots) which can be a ***** to figure out.

Comment

True, for instance Ubuntu allows you to set the level of "eye candy" you want your applications to have, based on computer performance. It is a mess to try and code I'm sure. Good luck
                RevFE
                My Shop

Comment

I sincerely think that a lot of users would be curious enough to be willing to upgrade to a newer operating system... I actually have Tiny7 on my carpc and to be honest it is nearly as fast and stable as TINYXP!! The memory footprint is much smaller and the major difference is that it's compressed ISO is about 600Mb, and fully installed it expands to 4Gb...

I was really hesitant at first but after seeing the results i will NOT return to tinyXP, although i had served me for 3 years without a single issue

Note: rev01 is what you need to get. The very first version (rev0 i think) has a lot of bugs but the second version has yet to show me a single sign of malfunction. It has all the integrated drivers needed and runs aero as well (don't need it tho) which, if i'm not mistaken, shows the possibility of displaying the dual rendering that you are all mentioning.

Comment

I think dropping WinXP support could throw away a lot of users but still it is a old operating system... So the user group for WinXP should only get smaller and smaller as time passes, but right now I think it's to early...

What about Windows Embedded. Does this os support Direct2D?

I was reading up on Direct2D for while ago and it struc me as this would be perfect for carputer usage but I must say that I didn't like the vista/win7 requirement.

Isn't there any software that can be installed on a WinXP to allow Direct2D to work?

Here's the reply from Microsoft regarding Direct2D on XP:
                    Not currently. We've had a number of customers asking for XP, and we're still evaluating downlevel support. As above, stay tuned.
                    This was grabbed from here: http://blogs.technet.com/thomasolsen...ect2d-api.aspx
                    Failure is not an option...
                    __________________________________________________ ______________________________
                    The only full multizone / multiscreen cross platform open source Front End -> OpenMobile

Comment

MS currently have no plan on integrating Direct2D in Windows Embedded Standard 2011.

But my guesses is that if the demand is up for integrating D2D to Embedded, they probably go for it.

As of 01 July 2009 there where no plans to ship Windows Embedded with Direct2D support.

Comment

Win Emb Standard 2011 is binary compatible with Windows 7. Where did you see that they don't plan to include D2D in 2011?
                        EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
                        Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                        OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
                        Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
                        BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
                        VoomPC 2

Comment

Originally posted by SFiorito View Post
                          Win Emb Standard 2011 is binary compatible with Windows 7. Where did you see that they don't plan to include D2D in 2011?
                          +1
                          I would think being win7 in component form it would be in there...especially given that it includes the dwm and all the other new graphics layers.

borte:
                          The problem is d2d isn't just one component its the icing on the win7 cake. Its built on top of the new Desktop Window Manager and requires a windows display driver model compatible driver. Since XP has none of that you would basically need to port all the new functionality of vista/7 over to xp to get it to work-and that certainly isn't going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SFiorito View Post
                            Right about here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...d-60e5ad69e877
                            This is quoted by Lynda Allen, one of the Program Managers of the team responsible for Embedded Standard 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Crinos View Post
                              Right about here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...d-60e5ad69e877
                              This is quoted by Lynda Allen, one of the Program Managers of the team responsible for Embedded Standard 2011.
                              That says Windows Embedded 2009, based on WXP won't have the support. 2011 is based on Win7 isn't it, so it's an entirely different animal I would think.
                              RevFE
                              My Shop

Comment

Working...
                              X