Hybrid Sleep for XP?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid Sleep for XP?

I was wondering if anyone has thought of creating something for XP so XP users can benefit from Hybrid sleep? I am so amazed at how S3 is just on as soon as you turn the key. My issue is that I am not sure if my PC will kill my battery. So I dont want to have to come back and do a cold boot because the PC lost power. I ask because I really like Windows 7, but my whole setup is mainly geared towards XP and I am worried that I will have a nightmare getting everything to work on Win 7. Hybrid Sleep is literally the only feature drawing me to Win 7.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

I thought that only win7 or vista offered that, and that was part of the draw to updating to win 7

I guess I will have to watch this thread with anticipation...
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
      I thought that only win7 or vista offered that, and that was part of the draw to updating to win 7
      yup only vista/win7
      openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
      - Always Recruiting Developers -
      Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

yes

XP does support hybrid sleep

my current setup is:

power button = standby
        idle 1hr = standby
        idle 3hr = hibernation

1) turn key off m2-atx sends power button signal car pc goes to sleep
        2) 1hr passes its already in sleep mode (unless m2 misses the key switch or something then it goes into sleep)
        3) 3hr passes your pc will wake up and go straight to the black screen that says windows is preparing to hibernate

i think this is over looked in XP because the only way i got mine to work was to make sure sleep was in the first box and hibernation was in the second box with a greater time.

however i could NOT get it to work with:

power button = standby
        2nd box = nothing
        3rd box = hibernation after idle 3hr

this is the second time i posted this tonight but u must respect the classics before jumping on the windows 7 bus

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepyz0mby View Post
          yes

my current setup is:

power button = sleep mode
          idle 1hr = sleep mode
          idle 3hr = hibernation

2) 1hr passes its already in sleep mode (unless m2 misses the key switch or something then it goes into sleep)
          3) 3hr passes your pc will wake up and go straight to the black screen that says windows is preparing to hibernate

i think this is over looked in XP because the only way i got mine to work was to make sure sleep was in the first box and hibernation was in the second box with a greater time.

power button = sleep
          3hr idle = hibernation
          3rd box = nothing

this is the second time i posted this tonight but u must respect the classics before jumping on the windows 7 bus
          A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Hybrid sleep is VERY different from what you are talking about. Besides the obvious difference between hibernate/suspend combined and the sleep and then hibernate methods, you are referring to an S1 sleep state not s3.

Like I explained in the other thread, s1 will be used whenever usb devices are left powered, or a wake timer is set via software. s1 keeps the processor powered and draws far more power then a full s3 suspend.

Comment

i stand corrected sir

s3 does pull much less than s1

but i have no issues with my set up and will look more into this tomorrow ill try to get some numbers for the difference between the two for some real world numbers

might be two days due to weather sorry

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post

I guess I will have to watch this thread with anticipation...
              yes Xista and 7 are the only ones, but I would luv it on XP.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
              4X MK808b
              3x Perixx Touchpads
              3x 7 inch Screens
              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

i stand corrected sir

s3 does pull much less than s1

but i have no issues with my set up and will look more into this tomorrow ill try to get some numbers for the difference between the two for some real world numbers

might be two days due to weather sorry
                Yea and this is where I hit a wall. S1 would kill my battery in about 30 minutes to an hour since I have 30 USB devices, the RAM, and Quad Core.

What I really need to do is maybe just take the plunge and buy Win 7. I went through a headache to get everything to work the way I wanted in XP, so I guess I can go through another headache to get it to work in Win 7. The Hybrid sleep brings our PC units so much closer to that head unit feel with instant ON. That feature alone puts us ontop of headunits. Before they could boast that they dont have to wait, now neither do we.

What version of Win 7 do you guys recommend? The version that is closest to XP.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                4X MK808b
                3x Perixx Touchpads
                3x 7 inch Screens
                1x Win 7 PC

Comment

apparently, winxp supports s3 sleep if no usb device is set to wake the system up, if i read correctly.
                  Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841858

Comment

Originally posted by Punky View Post
                    apparently, winxp supports s3 sleep if no usb device is set to wake the system up, if i read correctly.
                    Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841858
                    read my whole post s1 is used whenever a usb device is left powered OR a wake timer is set. So it is possible to get xp to s3 suspend but not do anything close to hybrid sleep.

Comment

yes

my current setup is:

power button = standby
                      idle 1hr = standby
                      idle 3hr = hibernation

power button = standby
                      2nd box = nothing
                      3rd box = hibernation after idle 3hr

at first, i was exited to read this, and then realised that this meant that i would need to leave the computer 'on'(in a sense) for 2-3 hours...

i don't know if i trust my setup to stay in that state for that long unattended...i feel like it is just asking for trouble-- even if it had been trouble free in the past...
                      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

ok so heres some numbers i got throughout the day...

first off my digi multimeter went for a swim in a puddle today so i had to find a replacement. i came up with an old analog multimeter and i dont really walk around with shunts in my pocket so i was stuck to 10amp unfused for most of the things i tried. reliable enough but not pin point accurate.

this is condensed

minimal set up = m2-atx, DG945GCLF2, Toshiba 80gb, usb touch screen, usb wireless keyboard

s5 9mA (m2-atx hardoff = false)
                        s4 13mA
                        s3 120mA (usb=off; fans=off; wake from usb=false; hibernation countdown active)
                        s2 1.5 Amps (usb=off; fans=off; wake from usb=false; hibernation countdown active)
                        s1 1.7 Amps (usb=on; fans=on; wake from usb=true; hibernation countdown active)
                        s0 2.2 Amps (idle)

power was from a 12v 5amp ac/dc converter

all power states were forced via dumppo.exe

i used only what i needed to run windows because this is a good starting point for this board. ill do this again when i get another digital multimeter for better results.

i did add a wd 1tb hdd and dvd drive, tried to max out all four cores with video a converter, and all the usb stuff i could round up at work but nothing significant due to the gauge being analog.

but if u read this far u must want to know, each sata device drew about 250mA idle and 500mA while spinning up. the video converter i used maxed 2 cores and bounced around 70% for the other two and was just like the sata devices, drawing about 500mA more. i hijacked a few mice and keyboards and they did nothing but i cant find any high amperage usb devices... i cant even think of any...

Comment

ok so heres some numbers i got throughout the day...

first off my digi multimeter went for a swim in a puddle today so i had to find a replacement. i came up with an old analog multimeter and i dont really walk around with shunts in my pocket so i was stuck to 10amp unfused for most of the things i tried. reliable enough but not pin point accurate.

this is condensed

minimal set up = m2-atx, DG945GCLF2, Toshiba 80gb, usb touch screen, usb wireless keyboard

s5 9mA (m2-atx hardoff = false)
                          s4 13mA
                          s3 120mA (usb=off; fans=off; wake from usb=false; hibernation countdown active)
                          s2 1.5 Amps (usb=off; fans=off; wake from usb=false; hibernation countdown active)
                          s1 1.7 Amps (usb=on; fans=on; wake from usb=true; hibernation countdown active)
                          s0 2.2 Amps (idle)

power was from a 12v 5amp ac/dc converter

all power states were forced via dumppo.exe

i used only what i needed to run windows because this is a good starting point for this board. ill do this again when i get another digital multimeter for better results.

i did add a wd 1tb hdd and dvd drive, tried to max out all four cores with video a converter, and all the usb stuff i could round up at work but nothing significant due to the gauge being analog.

but if u read this far u must want to know, each sata device drew about 250mA idle and 500mA while spinning up. the video converter i used maxed 2 cores and bounced around 70% for the other two and was just like the sata devices, drawing about 500mA more. i hijacked a few mice and keyboards and they did nothing but i cant find any high amperage usb devices... i cant even think of any...
                          Thats kinda what I expected but great to see actual numbers-nice work.

Comment

Working...
                          X