Taking requests for mp3cars Appstore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking requests for mp3cars Appstore

As some of you may know mp3car is in the process of launching a carPC app store. Many of the front ends and plugins you currently use will be featured but I am starting this thread for requests for others. What software would you like to see available (keep in mind smaller apps will be more likely to be developed)??

Either myself and/or other mp3car developers will use this thread to try and find the needs of the community and meet them.
    openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
    - Always Recruiting Developers -
    Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

That's very exciting.

I would like to see a universal playlist management software. You would just drop a playlist from your desktop application into a folder (via sync, thumb drive, mail attachment, whatever) and this application would read it in the background, completely transparent to the user, and would make all the necessary corrections to it, if needed (wrong folder, missing songs, etc). It wouldn't matter what format you'd drop in. CSV text files, WPL from Windows Media Player, m3u, or iTunes. It wouldn't matter if you have 500GB worth of songs in the desktop, and only 10Gb in the car. The missing songs would not even appear to the user, and no error message would be displayed ever (but on the log file). Smart playlists would be simply converted. More importantly, all the rating info would be preserved, if the file format so allowed (and the client app).
    Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
    Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Funny you mention it, I had the same idea a while back. I dont think an appstore is going to take off too well. Most do not like publishing there app, plugins or skins to another website other than there own. I know enforcer makes you create an account on his website before downloading his software.
      Anyway, I guess I would like to see open sourced GPS applications. Similar to Waze. More social network integrated apps, App store integrated with front ends for easy downloading. Similar to the Android Marketplace.
      New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
      New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
      "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderStick View Post
        I know enforcer makes you create an account on his website before downloading his software.

We've moved on from that, slightly.

My CF plugins can now be downloaded from CF's forum, the CF2 ones are downloadable from Zorros SPBA website and they were also available from my website.

However you don't get a free lunch.

So the plugins needed to be registered, and yes you guessed it, you needed to post in the download thread to register

This will be also rolled out to the RoadRunner plugins, this will allow them all to be available from the MP3 Appstore.

And also should the need arise for me to charge for any my software I can do that as well.

Comment

Just sayin',
          After a little research and observing market trends, I cant imagine there is that big of a market for a carpc app store. The reason it works well for android, iphones and ipad is, that is your only source for software. Or at least your most convenient source. MP3Car will have a major challenge ahead of them trying to convince members and others that there app store will be the most convenient place to obtain "apps".
          Or even a convenient place.

Comment

I think the aim should be to reward developers with just a bit of cash and recognition (if they add tracking to the best sellers, most downloaded, etc.). If that makes it possible a few more apps to be develop that otherwise wouldn't, that is a net gain for everyone involved.
            Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
            Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
              Well if the FrontEnds come with a plugin that can access the store, purchase (if necessary), download and install the software then there might some merit in it.
              Maybe,
              But it is going to take quite a bit of work to integrate that. Maintaining a web store that integrates with multiple types of 3rd party software (front ends) would take serious resources. To justify those resources you would need software that is not just free, but paid for. From what I gather most in this hobby are not very interested in paid for plugins for a free front end. I dont think RR users are going to jump on the wagon of paying for plugins and or skins.
              Maybe I'm wrong, but you pointed this out to me a few months ago... You may be able to snag a few CF users, but even then you allready paid over $100 for the front end why should you have to pay for the features of that front end as well?

Comment

Funny i don't remember seeing that link before this thread started...

Comment

The goal of the Auto App Mart is to make it easy to find the free and paid software that members here have been developing, downloading and selling for years. People have been asking for this for some time now.

We have a huge technical challenge ahead of in order to make it:
                  1) easy for developers to upload and sell or give away software
                  2) easy for everyone else to access and download/pay for software they way
                  3) identifying trends for developers to know about so that they can create the software that does not exists.

But...I like challenges.

And more importantly, this is about driving innovation. It is too difficult to find the software that people need right now.

So, the Auto App Mart is open for developers to upload. Let me know if you all have thoughts, or opinions etc. This store is for you, so we will build it in the way that you want it. It is to everyone's benefit to come together and have an Auto App Mart that caters to all OSs, needs and price points.

And I can get the attention of the major industry players once i can easily point to where all of the developers and types of software are. Many companies at CES inquired about an easier way to find developers that are o the forums. This store will make that happen as well.

H
                  Suggestions or Comments on the forums? Post here.

mp3Car store order questions or products that you would like to sell on the store? Email store @ mp3car.com

Feel free to pm me if you:
                  • Have a general comment on mp3Car's products or services
                  • Have a product you would like to have tested by the mp3Car community
                  • Have a file you would like mp3Car to host
                  • Have a cool idea that would improve the forums

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderStick View Post
                    Maybe,
                    But it is going to take quite a bit of work to integrate that. Maintaining a web store that integrates with multiple types of 3rd party software (front ends) would take serious resources. To justify those resources you would need software that is not just free, but paid for. From what I gather most in this hobby are not very interested in paid for plugins for a free front end. I dont think RR users are going to jump on the wagon of paying for plugins and or skins.
                    Maybe I'm wrong, but you pointed this out to me a few months ago... You may be able to snag a few CF users, but even then you allready paid over $100 for the front end why should you have to pay for the features of that front end as well?
                    i dont think its as hard as it may initially seem. I had a RR plugin not too long ago which allowed plugin browsing/downloading that was based on a pretty simple .xml file that maintained and updated list of plugins and there attributes. If I could manage that then a similar application could be developed just as easy... provided Mp3car provided the hooks to access app data from an external source.
                    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
                      i dont think its as hard as it may initially seem. I had a RR plugin not too long ago which allowed plugin browsing/downloading that was based on a pretty simple .xml file that maintained and updated list of plugins and there attributes. If I could manage that then a similar application could be developed just as easy... provided Mp3car provided the hooks to access app data from an external source.
                      Both openMobile and linuxICE have online automated app stores (aka one click download and installation). But something completely automated will never happen for rr or cf without significant changes. Right now theres about 10 different ways to install a rr plugin depending on where its from. Some come with installers, some require you to manually copy stuff, some require you to copy stuff and then register dlls. But rr users are used to that kinda thing so asking them to download the plugins from 1 website instead of 15 or digging through forum threads will probably be a welcome change.

Having to then go to a website and register said download or deal with the tracking scripts embedded in it might not be

I'm hoping we can branch out beyond just a one stop shop for plugins (as nice as that would be) into more custom software for carPCs.

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
                        Interesting comments bearing in mind one of you signature links
                        Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
                        Funny i don't remember seeing that link before this thread started...
                        IT was there a few months ago, then I erased it to make space so I could pimp my eBay ad for my Jag. Jag sold, App store open.

The app store I currently have allows for affiliate payments. Meaning, if the item is purchased a certain percentage of the sale automatically goes to that affiliates paypal account.
                        If you want to list an item for free, that can be done as well.

Comment

mp3cars app store allows the same thing

Comment

Working...
                          X