Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel developing open source android 2.2 for x86

Hey guys,

I know a lot of people would love to run android as their carOS, and why not, it's a great OS.

Either way, caught news of intel porting 2.2 (FroYo), should be available this summer...

http://pocketnow.com/tech-news/intel...tel-atom-chips

Its a cool idea......but its not going to increase atom sales. Anything that wants to be power efficient uses an ARM processor...and anything thats powerful enough to use an atom would want a full OS.
    openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
    - Always Recruiting Developers -
    Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

I couldnt disagree more with the 1st reply there.

This is great news and android running properly on an Atom CPU brings great potential. Something tiny running a 1.3ghz atom will now manage everything your android phone can do - only on a bigger screen and faster. You can pick up some small atom CPU devices with touch screens - eg the Joggler we have in the UK - for 50 and then put Android on it and have a capactive LED backlit touch screen with PC behind it that draws 5W and takes up 2 inches depth into your dash.

Add to that you get the whole of the android marketplace for apps - eg wikitude etc so use the sat nav version with a well placed camera on the front of the car or at your eye level and you get a an exceptional sat nav system.

Comment

Never said it wouldn't be useful to quite a few people (take a look at the android-x86 project and its following)...just that it wont boost intels sales.
        openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
        - Always Recruiting Developers -
        Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

moorsetown claims idle power of 21mW compared to about 15mW A9 Cortex ARM. Medfield will be better and Atom is a lot faster (although it will gobble up the electricities at the higher speeds).

If the people want android and there is no port of android that works on intel hardware, intel won't sell any hardware. I'm thinking specifically of handset hardware, not netbooks for the record. So I'm going to disagree that it would help boost sales of intel hardware .

Also, android sucks.

</biased opinion>
          Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
          Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
          Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Well i was going to try Linuxice on my joggler but I don't think it will work well enough and this guy is having problems: http://forums.openice.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=788

Back to android:

As for atom sales - if there is android out for netbooks and EEEPCs then sales will definitely go up. Free OS with loads of support for apps and runs very quick - not going to take much to get people to buy it.

Comment

Let's forget if it will benefit Intel, and look forward to how we can use it lol.

I can't wait to get android running in my car. I think without a lot of people spending a lot of time on a custome linux distro, it'll be the best OS as long as we can access the market and other available android apps as well as get it to interface with gps's etc.

Comment

and hook up a Wii remote for accelerometer stuff

Comment

Hmm, Can be done, but I'd prefer to get it working with an Ardiono board

Comment

Originally posted by PsyBlade View Post
                    I can't wait to get android running in my car. I think without a lot of people spending a lot of time on a custome linux distro, it'll be the best OS as long as we can access the market and other available android apps as well as get it to interface with gps's etc.
                    as mentioned in other posts, android will need exactly what linuxICE needs, a UI developed for it for the car. ...Which requires developers and 90% of the developers that care about the car platforms are here in this forum writing windows software. And those in this forum that do care and aren't writing windows software would rather write software for an OS that's really Linux and really open source.
                    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

an atom with android 2.2 would be very nice.

lots of possibilities.

Comment

Seeing that android has a ui for car use I don't see what your really wanting. Maybe vlc. It needs a lot better video suport

Oh and there are already programes and drivers for the wii remote on android.

Comment

Originally posted by tripzero View Post
                          as mentioned in other posts, android will need exactly what linuxICE needs, a UI developed for it for the car. ...Which requires developers and 90% of the developers that care about the car platforms are here in this forum writing windows software. And those in this forum that do care and aren't writing windows software would rather write software for an OS that's really Linux and really open source.
                          Android/iPhone/WebOS software is pretty car-friendly as-is. I use it while driving over my CarPC all the time for Google Navigation, Pandora, Yelp, etc because it is easier/safer/better to use then Garmin/iGuidance or a WebBrowser embedded in RR/Flux. Android is "really Linux and really open source" (only Market/GMail/GMaps/GTalk are closed apps). There are WAY more developers in the Phone scene then here, and many of them would contribute to CarPC app development (for like... TPMS, Alarm/AC control, ODB, or other car-only software that doesn't already exist for Android [and that most people here don't even have the hardware for anyway]). What are you talking about?
                          -InfinitiPC

Comment

Originally posted by eliofall View Post
                            Seeing that android has a ui for car use I don't see what your really wanting.
                            Incorrect. Android has a car-friendly *shortcut* UI. The buttons all still take you to the car-UNfriendly regular apps. I use my droid in the car on a daily basis, and it sucks. The car dock UI got a little better with Froyo, but it still sucks. *All* apps need to be redone with car friendly UIs, easy to use no-looking finger swipe shortcuts, etc. It's not a CarPC OS. With the right apps it could be turned into one, but now we're back to square one, any OS can be a CarPC OS with the right apps.

Originally posted by InfinitiPC View Post
                            There are WAY more developers in the Phone scene then here, and many of them would contribute to CarPC app development (for like... TPMS, Alarm/AC control, ODB, or other car-only software that doesn't already exist for Android [and that most people here don't even have the hardware for anyway]). What are you talking about?
                            Do you mean OBD? It's been done, there's actually 2 or 3 different apps out there for the Android platform. Malcom2073 from this very board has written one called OBDroid. As for the rest, with the right developer it's all possible, sure.
                            Tidder

Try RevFE
                            The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                              Incorrect. Android has a car-friendly *shortcut* UI. The buttons all still take you to the car-UNfriendly regular apps. I use my droid in the car on a daily basis, and it sucks. The car dock UI got a little better with Froyo, but it still sucks. *All* apps need to be redone with car friendly UIs, easy to use no-looking finger swipe shortcuts, etc. It's not a CarPC OS. With the right apps it could be turned into one, but now we're back to square one, any OS can be a CarPC OS with the right apps.
                              I just don't see how you come to this conclution...

There are lots of music apps and I think most of them are just as easy to use while driving as most CarPC frontends.

The YouTube app is way better then the plugin for RR.

I have not seen a Pandora app for CarPC at all, and I was using it through RR's webbrowser before I realized it was way better to just use the phone and plug its audio in.

Weather/News app is easy to use in the car. I don't see how RR's weather is any more less distracting or easier to use.

...but most of all, Google Maps / Google Navigation is better and easier to use in every way then iGuidance or Garmin.

What exactly do you think needs to be redone? I've actually been thinking of making my entire carPC just a remote control for my G1 in landscape. I think it would make a much better/safer/easier interface then RR eLite or Centrafuse. I think I'm going to work on that now instead of trying to pull Google Maps/Nav in to Windows or Android in to x86.
                              -InfinitiPC

Comment

Working...
                              X