tiny builds are slow boot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tiny builds are slow boot?

so i'm playing around with a setup i'm building for a friend. intel atom dual core 1.8ghz 2gb ram and 32gb ssd.

boot times on stock xp: 11sec
    boot time on normal tinyxp: 16sec
    boot time on bare xp no addtl drivers: 13sec
    boot time on tiny7: 19sec

what gives? i thought the tiny builds were supposed to be faster and less cluttered?
    they call me hack
    Independence Auto Tech
    http://ctxdesigns.com - web design :)
    "Let us search out and examine out ways, and turn back to the Lord; Let us lift our hearts and hands to God in heaven." - lamentations 3:40-41

Tiny builds are crappy IMHO. Things are removed from the OS without the user understanding what he/she is actually taking out, which can cripple the OS and cause longer boot times. Too much work for far too little benefit.
    1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

i learned that. everyone talks about how great they are, but i'm not one bit impressed. especially since stock boot times are faster!
      they call me hack
      Independence Auto Tech
      http://ctxdesigns.com - web design :)
      "Let us search out and examine out ways, and turn back to the Lord; Let us lift our hearts and hands to God in heaven." - lamentations 3:40-41

Comment

Plus, if you decide to add some hardware later on, there's a chance it won't work because the functionality was removed from the OS. Total PITA. A common hard drive size for carpc applications is much larger than any OS would need, leaving plenty of space left over for music, videos, and other files, so there's no need to shrink an install down at all.
        1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

a few years ago I was running TinyXP (7 or something???? don't even remember...may have been 9?) and had a complete boot process from post to frontend in ~12s. That was with a 1.2Ghz celeron setup and a normal 40GB 5400rpm laptop drive. Only after a TON of tweaks and repeated bootvis runs and finally ending it with EWF was I able to get that speed. Took me the better part of 2 weeks to get that speed. I keep kicking my own arse for messing with the setup and losing it too. Never could get it back to that 12s boot time. Now I run Windows 7 with a new board, chip, ram and an SSD...everything hardware wise is leaps and bounds faster...but still no 12s boot time. ~20-30 is the norm and I don't have the time to tweak the setup like I used to.

Comment

Working...
          X