speed up win 2000 boot time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speed up win 2000 boot time

I just switched from Win ME to 2000 Pro because the shut down feature in Media Engine would not work with Win ME. That's the only reason I changed O.S.

Anyone know how to fix this problem?

Win ME booted in about 15 sec.

2000 Pro takes about 60 sec. thats way to long. I don't have any experience with 2000 so I don't know how to speed it up.

I know how to speed up Win ME with msconfig.
    Does 2000 have somethig like that, if so what can be removed?
    How do I access it?

Any help would be great!
    It's the cake having/eating thing.

boot time for win2k will never be as fast as winME or even close to it. You can remove startup programs, remove the OS list on boot. remove system check on boot in bios and disable some services in windows to speed boot time up a few seconds.

Comment

service manager
      kill the services you dont need, there are a lot that will be useless to you and will speed up boot time
      go into admin tools -> computer management and go to services
      2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

Thanks for the help i'll try those.
        Howerer I also don't think it will ever come close to 15 sec.

Comment

I run win2k pro, You will never get to 15 sec boot.

How does a instant boot sound? Tempting huh.

If your mobo supports STR "suspend to ram" use it. I use it and love. Best thing ever.
          What im curently listening to.
          My complete carpc setup

Comment

Hoe long can the pc stay in str mode with the car off? How much of the car battery will it use?

Comment

what services can I kill in windows 2000 under
              admin tools -> computer management and go to services?

My boot up is typipcally 50 seconds.
              Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

I have left my win2k carpc in STR mode for over 3 days max, wich is the weekend.

Services you can kill in your carpc:
                follow this pages advice and you'll be set.
                http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/services.html

And for tweaks
                http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/tweak.html
                My complete carpc setup

Comment

I am running Win XP and mine boots in about 20 sec after it posts.
                  2000 Grand Prix GTP
                  667 mHz PC | 512 PC 700 | DVD | ATI All-In-Wonder | 100 Gig HD | 7" LCD

Comment

STR is not an option for me. My 5.7L V8 takes lots of power to turn over. So I need the battery to be at its peek.

What is the best boot time for 2000 that I can get?

Comment

Try using hibernate, or upgrade to XP home..

Comment

Originally posted by more mods
                        STR is not an option for me. My 5.7L V8 takes lots of power to turn over. So I need the battery to be at its peek.

What is the best boot time for 2000 that I can get?
                        Then im sorry to say you have a weak battery. STR uses what? .000000000000000005ma? that aint anything compared to what your battery can output. Like I said you NOT going to get any good boot times with win2k. Change your OS to winXP. " haha I would not call that an upgrade but hey thats me"
                        My complete carpc setup

Comment

The guidelines for power usage in STR (S3/Standby) calls for the PC to be roughly using 20% of its typical power. So if you have a 100w pc, STR is still using a sizable amount of power (hence its refered to as light sleep). And even if you have a dimunitive 50w pc, you'd still be drawing .8a. S4 (STD/Hibernate) uses much less, but takes much longer too boot back up.
                          -Nick

Comment

My understanding with STR is that the only power left is just enough to keep the ram refreshed, everything else is dead. In this case the power draw is probably only a few watts if that.

Once I get my setup finished with my new DC-DC power supply I will be testing how long I can stay in STR because I use my only once a week, if that.

Comment

I'd investigate hibernation too - you should be able to do this with Win2K.

You can set your machine to STR after a certain time, then have the machine wake and hibernate after a period of time in STR state.

Whether you can trigger the hibernate following STR without going into STR through a timeout, I don't know, but it's worth a play

Hibernate serialises your memory and state to disc, and takes zero power. All that'll be running is your +5V standby line, which draws next to bugger all.

Boot time for me from hibernated takes around 20 seconds.

Cheers,
                              Nick.

Comment

Working...
                              X