• Show
Clear All

• Windows 8 Front End?

Download Windows 8 Developer Preview Here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home/

Then read the Metro Style APPS SDK here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/wi...orld_with_xaml

Then...

Only with better animations, and "live tiles" and everything that CF can't do.

Any takers?

Cheers,

Ripp.
    Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
    Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Got it loaded up an hour or so ago. looks pretty cool on the surface. Lots of work ahead, though.

I think it "might" be a tad early to start any serious development, seeing as how we're not even in "beta" yet. But since you have all the tools there why not use them? Seems like the perfect time for you to finally learn how to write code huh Ripp!

VegasGuy

Comment

I downloaded it just to try and start to learn some serious code.

Hopefully it will be a fun experience for me. I'd love to actually make what I need rather than having to wait for others to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by VegasGuy View Post
        Got it loaded up an hour or so ago. looks pretty cool on the surface. Lots of work ahead, though.

I think it "might" be a tad early to start any serious development, seeing as how we're not even in "beta" yet. But since you have all the tools there why not use them? Seems like the perfect time for you to finally learn how to write code huh Ripp!

VegasGuy
        Oh yeah, maybe finally I can learn to code something current! (last time I code, it was for the Z-80...8 bits).

Too bad it mentions Java everywhere. Hate Java. Will see.

Comment

Originally posted by meryan00 View Post
          I downloaded it just to try and start to learn some serious code.

Hopefully it will be a fun experience for me. I'd love to actually make what I need rather than having to wait for others to do it.
          Cool! I figure each button could be a "plugin", or "app", like OBD, DVD, Media Player, Weather, etc. Some are ready to go, as long as it's touch friendly, it should be fine. Others it should be done from scratch.

I figure the first plugin would be for HD Radio, or maybe one to display the current playing song that would stick in the bottom, like it happens in my MetroSex skin I pictured above.

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
            Cool! I figure each button could be a "plugin", or "app", like OBD, DVD, Media Player, Weather, etc. Some are ready to go, as long as it's touch friendly, it should be fine. Others it should be done from scratch.

I figure the first plugin would be for HD Radio, or maybe one to display the current playing song that would stick in the bottom, like it happens in my MetroSex skin I pictured above.
            ITs been years since, I played with Java, but we will see.

I think is I had the skill my first action would be a navigation panel not unlike the Ford Sync system so you can see gps and other info at the same time, maybe Radio, Visualization, and weather all at once

I guess I should go install it now tho.

Comment

Very cool reading: Anandtech, windows 8 running on ARM, one video also.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4811/w...-intel-silicon

Comment

Just installed on a virtual machine, facebook and twitter apps tested. Very smooth running with one core. One gig of ram. Smooth transitions mouse/keyboard. cant wait to try RR and CF. If it works it will go to my multitouch tabletPC tomorrow, just saving a backup image of.it now.

Comment

I installed on an actual desktop, I was gonna test RR and CF and FreeICE today, it is interesting, but honestly it is a little annoying with the regular mouse and keyboard.

I have it on a C2D 2.8Ghz with 4GB ram, runs like butter, just had a error about a uncertified driver not being allowed to install. Not actually sure what it is trying to install, but if they limit that ability that will get rid of the ability to use alot of classic hardware, unless it is just for the Dev Preview

Comment

Loaded on my Fujitsu tablet as a test

It's a Pentium M 1.20 ghz and 2 gb ram. It has a wacom pen which acts as the touch device. It is running great. No driver issues except for the fingerprint reader. Took a separate driver load for that but everything else works perfectly "out of the box".

I'll be loading it on my car PC with usb touch screen this weekend to see how it does. So far it is running great and I think it holds great promise for a Car PC interface.

Chris
                    Attached Files

Comment

I'll use sacrifice one of remaining 2 Centrafuse licenses to test this out on my CarPC since I have it set up "on the bench." We'll see how it goes. I'm still waiting for the image to download... Chrome tells me "1 hour remaining" so we'll see.
                      After a 2 year break, I'm back! There are so many new and familiar faces here!
                      New vehicle, new ideas!

Chryssi - The Changeling CarPC Project

Comment

^^^ Very cool stuff! I'm going to load it on my tablet pc soon too!

Comment

OK, so either the servers are screwed up or my connection is super-sucky... anyone have a link I can use a download manager with... I keep getting a dropped connection at about 30% and my network does not allow any type of torrent traffic though at all, no matter what port I try... (and port forwarding does nothing!)
                          New vehicle, new ideas!

Comment

My download took four hours, but it came through. Got it from MS.

Comment

Mine keep getting dropped (timeout errors and such...) I'll just keep trying.
                              New vehicle, new ideas!

Comment

Working...
                              X