Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am a programmer .. give me some software to write!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am a programmer .. give me some software to write!

Wanted: somebody to give me an idea for a new software project
    Reward: your software wish granted.

I am a programmer by trade, and have just got in to the whole car modding scene. Haven't got a CarPC set up yet but I have some time on my hands and would like to contribute to the site by way of open-source software.

So if you would like some software written that doesn't yet exist, or you would like to see improve, post here with some ideas to keep me busy?

maybe speak to cdrskull about freeice
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

What language and OS are you willing to work on? How much work do you want to get involved in?

Comment

Perfect project here:
        http://www.mp3car.com/software-and-s...ab-option.html

I promised to try to create a dll to interface the radio and an existing plugin but haven't had time to even look and won't for another month. If you wanted to work on anything to do with that radio software I think many would be grateful!

Comment

Help is always appreciated in OpenMobile. What's your areas of expertise?
          Failure is not an option...
          __________________________________________________ ______________________________
          The only full multizone / multiscreen cross platform open source Front End -> OpenMobile

Comment

Originally posted by nasa View Post
            What language and OS are you willing to work on? How much work do you want to get involved in?
            I can work with most languages (bar a few of the less popular ones that I have yet to study - although I pick things up pretty quick), but willing to work on any of the following OSes:
            • Android (v1.5 - v4.0.3)
            • Windows 32 and/or 64 bit (from Win95 to Win8 MetroUI)
            • Linux
            • Mac OS X (from 10.4 to 10.7 Lion)
            • etc etc

... and also some embedded systems such as Arduino, Teensy, etc. I have dabbled with iOS platform before but gave up after a few weeks as the Apple Laws say that you can't do anything you want, that Apple rule your life, and that you have to sign away your soul (as well as pay for the privilege of such "licence")

Comment

Originally posted by stretch4x4 View Post
              Perfect project here:
              http://www.mp3car.com/software-and-s...ab-option.html

I promised to try to create a dll to interface the radio and an existing plugin but haven't had time to even look and won't for another month. If you wanted to work on anything to do with that radio software I think many would be grateful!
              +1!

I'm even willing to paypal you some cash for you to buy a Realtek based unit for local testing if you want, which would be +2 if you live in a DAB/DAB+ area

Comment

Originally posted by Chester View Post
                +1!

I'm even willing to paypal you some cash for you to buy a Realtek based unit for local testing if you want, which would be +2 if you live in a DAB/DAB+ area
                That would be awesome but ... after reading the SDK and Documentation I might not need a Realtek unit to test with after all.

Please see my post in this thread: http://www.mp3car.com/software-and-s...-option-8.html

Although I currently don't have an 2832U to test with, I think I can do this blind...

Give me 24 hours to knock something up

Comment

Hahahaha
                  I gave him a link to the SDK

Comment

Originally posted by liamcrayden View Post
                    I can work with most languages (bar a few of the less popular ones that I have yet to study - although I pick things up pretty quick), but willing to work on any of the following OSes:
                    • Android (v1.5 - v4.0.3)
                    • Windows 32 and/or 64 bit (from Win95 to Win8 MetroUI)
                    • Linux
                    • Mac OS X (from 10.4 to 10.7 Lion)
                    • etc etc

... and also some embedded systems such as Arduino, Teensy, etc. I have dabbled with iOS platform before but gave up after a few weeks as the Apple Laws say that you can't do anything you want, that Apple rule your life, and that you have to sign away your soul (as well as pay for the privilege of such "licence")
                    So...

Some ideas for you from the *linux* guy:

1. improve / fix Navit (which is available for both linux and android) -- it really needs a better way to search for addresses. A decent navigation alternative would benefit a lot of people on this forum and OSM seem to be fairly good.
                    2. improve bluetooth phone support (for linux and/or windows)

Comment

I would personally suggest plugins or a front end, as they are well the main requirement/use in this field.

A plugin would be my first suggestion vs a front end as well to many of them coming out now.. Dont even plan on releasing my font end as well dont need another on the pile.
                      Plugins would be handy for most and added more so if you create the same plugin for various packages/front ends. Eg a simple one would be a arduino plugin for centrafuse to allow
                      simple device operations using say serial data.

So perhaps have a look at the various hardware items available and due to be available and then turn them into a plugin or way to connect easily with a software package.

Most items are available in the way of software or can be sourced, BY ALL MEANS keep with your idea.. Just make sure the idea is one that has not been done 100 times before
                      2004 Holden WL Caprice Auto GENIII
                      Base System = Raspberry Pi
                      Everything else is pending for now as switched from a Mini-ITX setup

Comment

How about a Windows app that lets you answer calls, place calls, and browse the address book, all via bluetooth?

For bonus points, arrange it with all of the core functionality (pair, answer, dial, browse) in a DLL that exposes a simple API for all of the above, so that the EXE would just be simple UI stuff, calling into that DLL to get all of the real work done. Then plugins can be created for other front ends, using just the DLL plus whatever plugin library each front-end requires.

And let me know when/where I can download it. Thanks in advance.

Comment

If in addition to the above, while having the DLL accessible. Also perhaps allow the EXE to pass command line arguments to allow for other developers out there to use it with their packages or to at least extend its use a little further
                          2004 Holden WL Caprice Auto GENIII
                          Base System = Raspberry Pi
                          Everything else is pending for now as switched from a Mini-ITX setup

Comment

External touch screen app for iphone or android ?

I know most new android phones support USB-OTG, ie keyboard and mouse support, would be nice to have support for USB touch screens as a normal HID device, and have an app to support calibration.

Comment

Originally posted by mayhembdm666 View Post
                              If in addition to the above, while having the DLL accessible. Also perhaps allow the EXE to pass command line arguments to allow for other developers out there to use it with their packages or to at least extend its use a little further
                              Totally agree with this idea. No matter what the final software is or does, it would always be handy to be able to interface with in other ways so that the feature can be expanded on by others.

Comment

Working...
                              X