APX Media Interface update/suggestions -- Beta Testers Look

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APX Media Interface update/suggestions -- Beta Testers Look

GTC and I have been discussing how to better organize the media in APX for later releases. And I am giving him a hand by posting this thread on his behalf. So far we have came up with these:

Flat Playlist - Much like it is now. Create a playlist in WMP9/Winamp and simply view the file names in the playlist. The playlists would be selected from a list as well. Playlists would need to be created.

3D Playlist - Create a playlist in WMP9/Winamp and APX will look at the mp3 files directory within the playlist file and build a tree for selection. It's much like the "File View" system below, except that the source files come from the Winamp/WMP9 playlists, not directly from the file system - thus no scanning of the hard drive - just open the playlist and build the tree based on the dir structure in the list! This also provides a plus that it maintains the "compatibility" function of the underlying player. Playlists would also need to be created as well.

File View - This is where the files are organized exactly how Windows Explorer would see them, if you were to select "list" from the view menu, when in a folder. The folders would be on top to access sub directories, and the files within. This would not require the creation of playlists, but a single directory for APX to retrieve the media information from.

We would really appreciate all beta testes (and non beta testers) comments and suggestions on which media organization method you prefer. We need input to make APX the best it can be!

Peace
    -Drew

I personally prefer to play my music based on the windows directory. Assuming it grabs music from all sub directories as well. The hard drive scanning has never bothered me when adding large folders of music. But if that is a major issue with some I assume it would be simple to bring up a confirmation dialog asking "Add 588 songs to playlist?" Let me know if I'm unclear.

Comment

I would prefer the Windows format as well. If you need to have a cached format then I would suggest another function to go off and look then catalouge each file. This wqould keep both sides happy.

Terran
      My Project Site

Comment

Thanks guys! - keep the suggestions and desires coming - feel free to add another organization method, if you don't see your preferred method listed. If something doesn't make sense, please ask, or provide an example ... ie,

"I like to organize my MP3s by Year of Release / Artist / Album / Song" - will this be available?

ccsnet - background scanning is available, so APX can check for new files, while you are listening to your current ones.

Any comments on preferences for displaying ID3 tag info as opposed to the file names, would also be helpful.

At least one (if not a few) of these song organization (and interface) methods will be available in the next beta release in the next couple of days, so speak up now!

thanks,

GTC

BTW - while APX doesn't allow creation of new playlists, right now, the release product will allow you to add songs to your favourite Winamp / WMP9 playlist, so you can just move the raw playlist files between home & PC (no need to maintain two sets of playlists)!

Comment

I prefer the Windows folder format also.
          EPIA 800, DWW-7VGA LCD w/Touchscreen, 256mb ram, dvd rom, ati radeon 7000 video card, 80 gb 3.5" hard drive.

Comment

For my old software, I maintained a "popularity" index from 0 to 9, initially weighted at 4 that could be increased or decreased at the touch of a button.

From this, I had a "dynamic playlist" that could be built on genre, year etc combined with minimum or maximum popularity... I also counted the plays that a song had and could pull out the least heard songs - but there was normally a reason for this.

I ended up using both playlists and "dynalists".

I'll be implementing this on my software, though TBH I wondering if I should be bothering as I doubt I'll do better

Comment

Neat idea chiark - I have a client at "my real job" for whom I had implemented a similar rating system for some lists that the end users where using ... Basically just scored each users selection, and would over time bring their prefered selections to the top of the list ...

I think that this would have to be an option that you could turn on/off, as some people might be a little put off if you collected data about what they were listening to! Great thinking !

cheers,

GTC

Comment

GTC - Your mail box is full could not PM you....

Terran
                My Project Site

Comment

Hello friends,

I prefer the windows folders option.

A search feature while playing the mp3 shall be nice with on screen keyboard (for touch screen) to enter the name of the song.

Mastero

Comment

I would like playlists AND the ability to do by DIR.

It would be nice to have ID3 or filename as an option, preference.

And a must if the ID3 option is selected, then the player must display the filename if no ID3 tag exists.

Of course GTC, you know my opinions...
                    [H]4 Life
                    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                    I'm a lesbian too.
                    I am for hire!

Comment

frodo - I certainly know your opinions! And they are eminently fair ones (helps that I agree with them, too ) ... ID3 Tag support has been enabled for a few days (not released in Beta0.95) and the current functionality does display the filename, if no appropriate ID3 tag info is available - as always, we seem to be thinking along the same lines ....

cheers

GTC

Comment

Where can i find the beta version ?
                        I would to test it.
                        More info here----> http://www.gijsje.net

Comment

Originally posted by skoda
                          Where can i find the beta version ?
                          I would to test it.
                          pm gtc
                          [H]4 Life
                          My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                          It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                          I'm a lesbian too.
                          I am for hire!

Comment

The way I do it is as follows: -

- There's a current "playlist" which can be played random, linear etc.
                            - You can browse through your directory tree and add "trees", whether that be just an album, genre or all etc (depending on how you organise your files, mine are under genre then artist etc).
                            - You can add a specific playlist to the current playlist.
                            - Any of the above can be set as the new "playlist", ie to clear old settings.

In my experience, the WMP9 method (select all by album, artist etc) is **** slow. I used to use this and it'd take a couple of minutes just to select a list of artists, thatwas based on about 4000 mp3 collection.

My 2P.

Sy

GingerPrince

Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
                            CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

Comment

Working...
                            X