0-60 time, 1/4 mile and such -meter on your carPC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0-60 time, 1/4 mile and such -meter on your carPC

ok, did a little search, didn't find anything useful, so decided to post here:
    there seems to be a lot of software for carpc for different purposes (GPS , ME, etc.) except one (at least i couldn't find any).
    Why not write software that would take readings from OBD/OBD2 (using www.obd2.com's soft for example) and give you your 0-60 time, 1/4 and such? I'm pretty sure it's possible, just record the time when you started going, then when you reach 60 mph and so on.
    So what do you guys think about it? Does this kind of software exist? If not, why not write one? Since I'm only beginning to program im not much of a help, but the effort and the idea is what counts, right?
    Current Status: For Sale

Specs
    - 1.5Ghz Toshiba Laptop (available - no screen)
    - Indash Motorized 7" VGA TS
    - DeLorme GPS (sold)
    - Power Inverter (sold)
    - Pioneer HU (sold)

obd-ii update rate is about once a second. Your performance time will most likely be inaccurate.
    NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
    If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

Well, if it updates once per second and then interpolated between them, I'm sure it could be accurate enough for showing to your friend in the passenger seat.

I think the problem is that not many of us are connected to the ODB-II's, so you may want to try learning to program that stuff yourself

Comment

sorry dude, im not a programmer
        NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
        If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

I'm interested in that too, but is the update interval really only 1 per second? that would be way to slow for realtime performance indicators and virtual dashboards... Is the update speed defined somewhere (sure it is, but does anyone of you know it?)

Comment

Originally posted by Sensor
            Well, if it updates once per second and then interpolated between them, I'm sure it could be accurate enough for showing to your friend in the passenger seat.

I think the problem is that not many of us are connected to the ODB-II's, so you may want to try learning to program that stuff yourself
            slowly but surely I will. hopefullty there are people who are willing to do that also...
            Current Status: For Sale

Specs
            - 1.5Ghz Toshiba Laptop (available - no screen)
            - Indash Motorized 7" VGA TS
            - DeLorme GPS (sold)
            - Power Inverter (sold)
            - Pioneer HU (sold)

Comment

You could also use a GPS for speed data (i have), but it is only once/second as well. Works better on a track than a drag strip.

For accuracy, you need either an accelerometer or wheel rotation sensors. I have never seen either of these in a format that allows easy PC interfacing, so would require custom hardware as well as software.

Comment

How about using your HT leads to trigger a sensor going into your soundcard input (giving RPM) and a sesnsor for which gear you are in ?
                I have seen Streetdyno and Home dyno on the web and got as far as building the HT lead sensor and giving it to my father to try out on his MG with a Rover V8 shoehorned under the bonnet :-)
                http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/homedyno/homedyno.htm
                http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/D...treetDyno.html

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Robocog
                  How about using your HT leads to trigger a sensor going into your soundcard input (giving RPM) and a sesnsor for which gear you are in ?
                  I have seen Streetdyno and Home dyno on the web and got as far as building the HT lead sensor and giving it to my father to try out on his MG with a Rover V8 shoehorned under the bonnet :-)
                  http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/homedyno/homedyno.htm
                  http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/D...treetDyno.html

Rob
                  Another option (and better in a way). I've used this software, but my HT leads picked up too much noise. I got round this by tapping off the crank angle sensor on my car, and attenuating with a resistor. This gives a 5 volt spike every 1/6th revolution and is much cleaner than the HT method. A bit of C to make it in a nicer format for home dyno and bobs yer dog!

GingerPrince

Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
                  CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

Comment

is there any virtual dashboard software that allows connection to the ODB I/II?

Comment

ok a little off topic but dose anybody know to get the rpm off a 1 cylinder 4 stroke motor. i was thinking of using a pickup and putting it into my computer. like the home dyno. but i want to write my own software. i know a bit of q basic.
                      anybody goyt any idears

Comment

OBD2 request / response resolution is much faster than once / second. It's pleny fast enough for a reasonable 1/4 mile time determination. You can trap RPM, MPH, o2 feedback, and other "fast" state changes. What you can't do is request lots of different types of signals to all update fast. There is only so much bandwidth that the ECU will handle. But, the software could be designed to prioritize MPH / RPM for "Race" mode. Keep in mind, it will only be as accurate as your electronic OEM speedometer. If the "pinion factor" is incorrect, so will your times. But, it will be consistent so you will be able to compare hopups (as long as you don't change your final drive ratio - including tire diameters.

BEN - do you want to log to a PC - or just know the rpm? You might want to look into model airplane sites (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPT31&P=ML) for an RPM meter. They are reasonable priced and don't require permanent installation (if that is what you are looking for). Another place is some timing lights / dwell meters for automotive have tachs that run off either the high voltage or low voltage triggered side of the ignition coil / spark wire.

Comment

http://www.digimoto.com/demo.htm This software which works with scantool has a feature for 1/2 mile timing
                          Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
                          Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

Originally posted by ob1
                            For accuracy, you need either an accelerometer or wheel rotation sensors. I have never seen either of these in a format that allows easy PC interfacing, so would require custom hardware as well as software.
                            Take a look at Phidgets dual axis accelerometer. Easy PC interface, easy to code in VB or whatever.

Comment

DavidL i want to be able to log to the computer. this will be more of a learning thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X