GPS Mapping and Routing on Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Mapping and Routing on Linux

Project name: Tiger Mapping and Routing Server (TMRS)

Latest version: 0.01 Pre Alpha?

OS Supported: Any POSIX compliant OS (tested on Linux)

Project Type: Open Source

Supported functions: TIGER map files

Input type: None

Other features: The purpose of this project is to allow developers of Car PC user interfaces to easily incorporporate GPS navigation. It is a standalone application that generates its own maps from TIGER data files.

Details are available at http://sumitbirla.com/projects/indashpc

screenshot:
    Attached Files

Is this your app? I take it you are doing this. I'm doing an open sourced media app in linux in python using pygame and I'd love to have GPS in it. Do you plan on doing like an SDK where it can be built into another app. I know thats a bunch of work.

Even if you do something like send next directions into stout or something. This would be a big boost to the in-car linux world. The app looks great.
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

Comment

Yes, this is my application. I started writing it because I could not find software that would run on linux framebuffer. There is still a lot of work that needs to be done, however.

As for the SDK, a thin layer can be created to interface with the system. The design of TMRS is such that it should not be hard to use it. It runs as a server on port 9099. Here is the protocol for locating an address:

Open connection
      CLIENT: B,123,W,Main,St,NE\n
      SERVER: 23098000,-83020150\n
      Close connection

And for retrieving a map:

Open connection
      CLIENT: A,640,480,100,23098000,-83020150\n
      SERVER: <PNG 640x480 image in binary form>
      Close connection

Protocol for routing will be coming shortly...

If you decide to use TMRS, I'll be glad to help you.

Originally posted by hijinks21
      Is this your app? I take it you are doing this. I'm doing an open sourced media app in linux in python using pygame and I'd love to have GPS in it. Do you plan on doing like an SDK where it can be built into another app. I know thats a bunch of work.

Even if you do something like send next directions into stout or something. This would be a big boost to the in-car linux world. The app looks great.

Comment

i've never looked in TMRS but basically your app runs like a server and you just issue a request and process a response? If that is the case a thin client should be a peice of cake to implement.
        '98 Explorer Sport
        http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
        AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
        80% done

Comment

Working...
        X