Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure if this is a repost or not, but: Dragon Naturally Speaking

http://www.scansoft.com/naturallyspeaking/
    Capable of voice commands, very nice even if you have a touchscreen!
    Black '02 RSX-S

its sort of a repost, but it hasnt been discussed in a while so you're fairly safe from the "search wrath"

basically, it is VERY hard to get any voice control software to work in a car that's moving. there is so much ambient noise going on with wind, engine, and road noises (not to mention MP3's being blasted through your speakers) that the voice recognition engine totally freaks out and doesnt know what to do. It is such a complicated task that most people stop trying to get it to work after a few days. In fact, I only know of one person who successfully got any VC software to work and he spent considerable time and money (nice microphone) getting it to recognize his commands.

You can easily get VC to work while the car is parked with the engine off and no music playing. What good is that? Well, its good for replacing a keychain remote, and that's exactly what i plan to do.

I remember being about 5 years old and asking santa for a "knight rider watch" so I could talk to other people with my watch. I had to wait 20 years or so, but now we have this. Its an FRS radio on a watch, and I happen to have a couple of FRS radios lying about.

Coupled with my parallel relay card and some software that I wrote to control it, I will (theoretically) be able to "talk" to my car and have it pop the trunk, lock/unlock the doors, or even start the engine.

I realize the phenomenal security issues with this, so I'll probably only enable it when i'm showin off the car as a "proof of concept" rather than functional aspect.
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

I have a 75% done Voice Command/Recognition system running in my car. Clarion also did that in their AutoPC as well. I think JVC did it as well a while back.

The deal is simple. You need to spend $$ on your microphone. I have the best success so far with a boom mic (like the one you use with your phone). But Clarion recommands a $150 mic if you want to roll down your windows in your car and have full command. And I believe them. Your Microphone is the key here.
      - Lwin M. Maung
      If it's stuck, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway

Comment

So I'm assuming the mics in the new Accords are the really expensive ones?
        very nice ideas, but I don't want to be the guinea pig :P
        Where's the mic mounted?
        Black '02 RSX-S

Comment

I'm still a newbie...but a Plantronics M1500 may be a good toy to add. (about $150 US) but it's wireless up to 30 feet and has noise cancelling. One touch on earpice controls mute on/off as well as earpice on/off.

Works well in my car both with Dragon 6 Essential and XP Plus! for WMP9....
          I did it all with a Dell and a Dock!
          DVD,MP3,TV,FM,GPS, XM,WiFi,CDRW,
          5.1 Dolby, 420 GB, 512 MB,1 Ghz,7" Touch

Comment

I have (had - it's sitting in a box!) the Clairon AutoPC ... Voice Recognition worked for me traveling up to around 110 kph (65 MPH) with my windows rolled down and my sunroof open ... this is driving a last generation Honda Prelude (1997) which isn't a quiet car to begin with (high revving 4 cyclinder). Seraph is quite correct - it's all in the microphone - I was actually using the include clarion mike, but it was positioned to aim straight at my face from directly beside the rearview mirror ... worked beautifully!

cheers,

GTC

Comment

Hmm.. interesting, I was just about to post a question on Voice control.

I found, somewhere on the net, a program that does nothing but voice control. I could just type in whatever word or phrase I wanted, and what command I wanted it to run. There's a list of preset commands, or you can set up macros and keypresses and such. I found it worked great, right from install. I didn't have to do any learning or anything. It was a small standalone program, free to use.

Does anyone else know what this is, and where I can find it again? I thought I saved it, but I must have lost it in my last reformat.

Thanks,

Kris
              How Much Horsepower Can I have And Still Go To Heaven?

Comment

got my "proof of concept" working today.

unfortunately, it works with anyone's voice and any FRS radio on the right channel, so it will definately NOT be on all the time
                Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                I'M DEBT FREE!!
                I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Originally posted by Superduck
                  Hmm.. interesting, I was just about to post a question on Voice control.

I found, somewhere on the net, a program that does nothing but voice control. I could just type in whatever word or phrase I wanted, and what command I wanted it to run. There's a list of preset commands, or you can set up macros and keypresses and such. I found it worked great, right from install. I didn't have to do any learning or anything. It was a small standalone program, free to use.

Does anyone else know what this is, and where I can find it again? I thought I saved it, but I must have lost it in my last reformat.

Thanks,

Kris
                  I used voiceflux in conjunction with my AiPC package... VoiceFlux. www.voiceflux.net
                  - Lwin M. Maung

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
                    got my "proof of concept" working today.

unfortunately, it works with anyone's voice and any FRS radio on the right channel, so it will definately NOT be on all the time

If you keep training the computer, it will slowly listen to your voice only. I was thinking of doing just that too (like your control with FRS)

I even had the wires running. You beat me to it
                    - Lwin M. Maung

Comment

http://www.elektrorevue.cz/clanky/99003/english.htm

Check this out. I had this running for a couple of years now. The amazing thing about it is that it only recognize my voice and even when I was sick, I can get through.

I'd say it works about 90% for me and that's pretty good considering I have some noise in the background like music all the time.
                      - Lwin M. Maung

Comment

Originally posted by Seraph
                        I used voiceflux in conjunction with my AiPC package... VoiceFlux. www.voiceflux.net
                        Woohoo! Thanks, Seraph! That's the one I was using. I don't really have a lot to compare it to, I've only used an old version of Dragon, a few years ago. I really liked the simplicity of the voiceflux system though. Nice that I can enable and disable the voice recognition with a keypress. It would suck to be having a conversation and mention "shutdown" and have the computer shut off

Anyway, this is an interesting thread regardless

Kris
                        How Much Horsepower Can I have And Still Go To Heaven?

Comment

Originally posted by Superduck
                          Woohoo! Thanks, Seraph! That's the one I was using. I don't really have a lot to compare it to, I've only used an old version of Dragon, a few years ago. I really liked the simplicity of the voiceflux system though. Nice that I can enable and disable the voice recognition with a keypress. It would suck to be having a conversation and mention "shutdown" and have the computer shut off

Anyway, this is an interesting thread regardless

Kris
                          Thats simple, install a pushbutton switch in line for the mic, and have the open contacts set to off, and so when you depress the button, you may speak. Mod it to your steering wheel, and that might be a one button system wide control. Just a thought.

~Sounder~
                          Subject open, Subject closed.

Comment

I guess some are too lazy to press that extra button

Comment

andrea has a (new?)microphone with noice cancelling software for $35:
                              http://www.andreaelectronics.com/Buy...beam_Array.htm
                              I have bought it but not tried nor install it;at least it is cheaper then their $300 car microphone!

Comment

Working...
                              X