Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIN XP Remote Desktop no password?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • WIN XP Remote Desktop no password?

    I want to be able to log into my remote car computer with remote desktop on my main computer but dont want the car computer to stop or require a password at the login screen when starting up. Anybody know how to accomplish this?

    mike
    91 cadillac sedan deville, winXP, FV25 with Celeron 800, Redant 7" widescreen in dash, Opus DC-DC, Irman, Digital Cable remote(lots of buttons), 120 gig 7200rpm 8meg cache WD hard drive, VI power mobile HD rack, mediaengine

  • #2
    run

    control userpasswords2

    unclick/check require passwd bit and then add a passwd for the user that needs t login.

    It worked for me

    Craig
    Audi S8 supercar
    Modded Xbox 400GB HD
    Rear 7" screen & navplus

    Toyota Hiace Van
    Shuttle PIII 866 256Mb 10GB OPUS powered
    MediaCar & Mappoint 2004
    Custom fit 7" TFT VGA TSK

    Comment


    • #3
      Did this work as I can't get it to. I probaly require a complete nebie how to on it. Do I run the userpasswords on the carpc or the one I'm acceesing it from?

      currently the carpc boots without password but I cannot acces remotely because I'm asked for username and password, which if I don't type anything it still doesn't work???

      Comment


      • #4
        goto to start > run > gpedit.msc

        windows settings > security settings > security options > Accounts: limit local accounts use of blank password to console logon only > check disable.

        Had to do the same thing to be able to login with admin account with no password.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jaw4322 View Post
          goto to start > run > gpedit.msc

          windows settings > security settings > security options > Accounts: limit local accounts use of blank password to console logon only > check disable.

          Had to do the same thing to be able to login with admin account with no password.
          Is this on the lappy in the car or the PC at home which I want to control the lappy with?

          I'm assuming home PC, will try it..
          Right, Win 2K, I get this far - windows settings > security settings > then the only security options are in a sub folder under "Local Policys". If I D click that folder I get a list of policys starting with "Additional restrictions for anonymous connections" and ending with "insigned non-driver installation behavoir"
          I'm afraid I don't see "limit local accounts use of blank password to console logon only " anywhere
          What am I doing wrong?

          \v/
          \v/

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi NobbyV4,

            craigyb was correct... but I'll go through it in a little more detail for you. Quite a few of the steps that I've described are just double-checks, but it's probably worth going through them jujst to be safe.

            Firstly, on your carputer (I'm assuming windows XP), set a password for the user (Control Panel > User Accounts > Create a Password).

            Next, click Start > Run and type "control userpasswords2" (with out the quotes) and click OK.

            Now, click on the user that you are using, then un-tick the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". Click OK.

            You will be prompted to enter the password, enter the same one (twice) that you just entered in the user accounts section above, then click OK.

            Open Power Options (Control Panel >Power Options) and select the Advanced tab. Ensure that the "Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby" option is NOT ticked. Click OK.

            Open the Display Properties (Control Panel > Display), and select the Screen Saver tab. Ensure that the "On resume, display Welcome screen" (or "On resume, password protect" depending on your settings) is NOT ticked. Click OK.

            Once you have rebooted the carputer, it should automatically log in as if there was no password. When connecting to the carputer remotely, you will need to use the password that you specified earlier.

            Good luck!

            Samon.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks for that, I look forward to giving that a go when I get back home

              \v/

              Comment


              • #8
                Samon, your a star, worked perfectly. Thanks very much
                \v/

                Comment


                • #9
                  No Probs!

                  Glad to be of help.

                  Samon.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Samon View Post
                    Hi NobbyV4,

                    craigyb was correct... but I'll go through it in a little more detail for you. Quite a few of the steps that I've described are just double-checks, but it's probably worth going through them jujst to be safe.

                    Firstly, on your carputer (I'm assuming windows XP), set a password for the user (Control Panel > User Accounts > Create a Password).

                    Next, click Start > Run and type "control userpasswords2" (with out the quotes) and click OK.

                    Now, click on the user that you are using, then un-tick the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". Click OK.

                    You will be prompted to enter the password, enter the same one (twice) that you just entered in the user accounts section above, then click OK.

                    Open Power Options (Control Panel >Power Options) and select the Advanced tab. Ensure that the "Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby" option is NOT ticked. Click OK.

                    Open the Display Properties (Control Panel > Display), and select the Screen Saver tab. Ensure that the "On resume, display Welcome screen" (or "On resume, password protect" depending on your settings) is NOT ticked. Click OK.

                    Once you have rebooted the carputer, it should automatically log in as if there was no password. When connecting to the carputer remotely, you will need to use the password that you specified earlier.

                    Good luck!

                    Samon.
                    The problem with this method is that when you get back to the carputer after a remote session you need to put in a password at that point. The other method (allowing RD with no password) will allow you to just click enter on the logon screen.

                    |V1 Virtual Display|

                    Hard work often pays off over time, laziness always pays off right now.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by zPilott View Post
                      The problem with this method is that when you get back to the carputer after a remote session you need to put in a password at that point. The other method (allowing RD with no password) will allow you to just click enter on the logon screen.
                      Ah yes, I noticed this, but it's not a big issue for me, I have a small wireless keyboard and can still enter password easy. And I hope to be using remote sessions less an less as I sort the system out... Or doesn't it work that way, i.e as I get more used to playing with the set up I end up changing more stuff

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If you download the latest version of the remote desktop client which they made for Vista (it shows as optional update on windows update) it lets you save a username and password combination for each server (or you can do it with the normal XP version but you need to save the session with the password and launch the session, not just the remote desktop client) - that lets you keep all the password functionality, but automate your login from your house.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The version that comes with XP does this too, but that isn't really an issue, he wants to automate login in the car.

                          |V1 Virtual Display|

                          Hard work often pays off over time, laziness always pays off right now.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You need to remove the password, if any, from your remote car computer, by opening*control panel ->user accounts->manage passwords. In order to access remote desktop of car computer, you can use various remote support services such as gosupportnow.com, logmeinrescue.com etc.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X