What Really is the best software?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Really is the best software?

Decided to edit this post!! it was embarressing!
    Co Develper of A.I.M.E.E Automotive Intelligent Multimedia Entertainment Engine
    www.aimee.cc

When you find the holy grail or the arc of the covenant you let me know mmkay.
    [H]4 Life
    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
    I'm a lesbian too.
    I am for hire!

Comment

Originally posted by Danceheaven
      Does such software exist in one package?
      No, but I have a "moon-onna-stick" here if that'll do.
      Why don't you write it and then show us.
      Old Systems retired due to new car
      New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Simply Cos NOT A CODER!!!, hats why all the Above probaly sounds fictional to you all. but i can try
        www.aimee.cc

Comment

Simply Cos NOT A CODER!!!, hats why all the Above probaly sounds fictional to you all. but i can try
          Well, while I believe that what you propose is quite do-able, it will also be one heck of a big pig of a program. That's not only a lot of coding to do, it's also going to be a lot of hardware needed to drive all that. (Relative to most of the systems described here, that is).

Thing is, most people don't need that kind of functionality in a carPC. There's convenience, and then there's "Damn baby! Why'd you put the microwave next to the bed?" Of course, there are mobile office vehicles out there (MegaCar ), but do you honestly need that level of complexity in your car? I mean hell, I'm all for modifying the living crap out of my ride, just cuz I can, but I don't think I would want to have THAT much to do in my car, setting it up, AND using it!

If you intend to heed the call that drives you and attempt to build all that anyhow, might I suggest C++ as the programming language? Because I can tell you from experience, the processor load alone in VB will make you want to quit. Check out the ALECCS project link in my sig. That thing ran so so on my Athlon 1700, but if the proc was anything less, it was literally swamped by all the processes running to keep that mp3 player screen doing all its animations and time-tracking and junk. You're going to want something that works on a lower level, and is therefore slightly faster during runtime.

Oops. Ranted again. Must be tired. Sorry.

*shuts the hell up*
          The ALEXIS Project
          MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
          Color Coding :
          DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

this is the problem with the scene.. everyone has different needs. Some programmer needs to step up and make a module open sourced effort that is well documented. I'm doing on in linux but that scares most users let along developers of the mp3car scene away My whole app is all module driven. You can just load up the mp3 or just the video.. or both
            '98 Explorer Sport
            http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
            AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
            80% done

Comment

Originally posted by hijinks21
              this is the problem with the scene.. everyone has different needs. Some programmer needs to step up and make a module open sourced effort that is well documented. I'm doing on in linux but that scares most users let along developers of the mp3car scene away My whole app is all module driven. You can just load up the mp3 or just the video.. or both

Now all you have to do is:

FM/AM tuner module, with ability to rip the stream, connect to the internet, and retrieve the album cover/info, connect to Kazaa, download the corresponding music video, compress said video to a format that may then be burned on-the-fly by a bank of at least (but no more than) 20 DVD +/- RW drives mounted in the back seat, and synchronized via internet clock signal, (so all those discs spinning don't yank your ride right the hell off the road), and then feed all discs automatically to a label printer, where they will then be fed to the driver, who will then switch on the "physical medium distribution device", which tosses said music albums (with synchronized music videos) out the window to the waiting masses, who can hear that **** coming from a mile away, and were lined up since you passed their houses the night before.

Can Linux do THAT? I think not! Apparently, there is some among us who wished it did.....
              The ALEXIS Project
              MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
              Color Coding :
              DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

deadwasel, i actually have all that done but conect to the internet.. i just can't get online

but serisouly i'd almost be a project leader for a windows project if one were to get started. There are too many good programmers on this forum that their apps get lost cause they don't have enough time.

If you get one to focus on audio.. another on video.. the app could be amazing.
                '98 Explorer Sport
                http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
                AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
                80% done

Comment

Jinks,

AiPC V2/AIS is open source. If you want the source, let me know Fully VB. We do need more open source codes so that we can all help each other out though. The core for AIS is about 80% done and I am doing everything as modules so that if users don't like what I write, they can click on an icon and have it point to their own app that they like. Pretty simple idea I developed in AiPC V1.

Now I need to start working on modules soon. Let me know if you want to have a look at the source code.

I will register with sourceforge after I am done with the core so that people can add to it etc I believe have a consistent code and documentation. Give me a couple more days. At lease I am making an open source app.

Another thing is that people here want to keep their own source because they don't want it to be changed by someone else. Why? Because they feel it's their. That's cool. It is theirs. Some wants to sell theirs as a commercial version one day. But we DO need a good open source app which is driven by modules with the core app running just the interface.

Lwin

ps. When I say module, I mean a separate program but it will use some features from the core app like day/night settings and such. You can even skin it differently
                  - Lwin M. Maung
                  If it's stuck, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Seraph
                    Now I need to start working on modules soon. Let me know if you want to have a look at the source code.

I will register with sourceforge after I am done with the core so that people can add to it etc I believe have a consistent code and documentation.
                    Make sure you license it, perferrable gpl or lgpl so that a company will not take it, modify it and leave you SOL while they reap all the profits. I am all for open source, if you the developer is protected properly. I think the app would be great, my thought is a vb/delphi? front end so it can be easily skinned with c/c++ modules that do the dirty work (radio tuner, video compress,decompress). If I knew anything about audio or video programming I would brush up my c/c++ and help out

Aultl
                    Aultl
                    [====---] - 65% complete
                    VIA Epia 800mhz, 256Mb ram, 10Gb HD

Quote of the Month: "I see the problem, [The RAID controller] is trying to rebuild the array with good data from a failed drive." -- HP Support

Comment

Originally posted by aultl
                      Make sure you license it, perferrable gpl or lgpl so that a company will not take it, modify it and leave you SOL while they reap all the profits. I am all for open source, if you the developer is protected properly. I think the app would be great, my thought is a vb/delphi? front end so it can be easily skinned with c/c++ modules that do the dirty work (radio tuner, video compress,decompress). If I knew anything about audio or video programming I would brush up my c/c++ and help out

Aultl

I am thinking of Copyleft licence for the core and the modules can be registered by the respective developer. Copyleft is the same as Copyright (I have full copyrights on the code but the code is open source. Any modifications done to the code upon my approval becomes a part of my core copyleft code) Kind of like Linux Kernel really. It's a cross between open source GPL and closed sourced copyright.

I am going to register for a space on sourceforge.net now. Everyone has been talking about open source and no one has acted on it. I am going to start that move. [ Just done that now ]

Mean while, check this thread for features that are available with the current known frontends (the ones I know. If you want yours listed, email me : [email protected])
                      - Lwin M. Maung

Comment

I don't have a front end, Yet. I was just throwing out some ideas . However I have done some work on a vb voice activation project, nothing more that a few bug fixes tho. You can check it out here: http://www.thisstrife.com/carproject..._chapter_4.asp. It is about 1/3rd the way down under the November 8th update.

Aultl
                        Aultl
                        [====---] - 65% complete
                        VIA Epia 800mhz, 256Mb ram, 10Gb HD

Quote of the Month: "I see the problem, [The RAID controller] is trying to rebuild the array with good data from a failed drive." -- HP Support

Comment

Aultl: YGPM

Edit: That is sweet!!!
                          - Lwin M. Maung

Comment

also i have written 3 of my own apps to accomadate my own needs with a in car system
                            Ah, first post implied you were. My mistake.

Rob
                            Old Systems retired due to new car
                            New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Withey
                              Ah, first post implied you were. My mistake.

Rob
                              Edit im not a good coder lol! well im getting better i guess...
                              www.aimee.cc

Comment

Working...
                              X