Parallel Relay control for XP coming soon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parallel Relay control for XP coming soon

I am, right now, working on a program very similar to my old one, but this one works on NT based systems. I will post the executable and the source code as soon as I feel like it's ready. I have to go back to work in a week or so, so it will be done by then.

I have the buttons doing the toggle thing, im working on timers right now.
    I just gotta remember how to do that since i lost the source somewhere amongst the 37 formats I have done between when I wrote the original code and now
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

done, and done.
    Attached Files
    I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

Thank you!!!! Can I have to source so that I can put it in my app? That means I need a USB to // interface too.
      - Lwin M. Maung
      If it's stuck, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway

Comment

nice and simple. I was just writing some code for interfacing with relays! was looking to control the climate system.

I thought you could use up to 18 of the pins?
        car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

this software is written for this relay card, but it will work with any interface. once i get done commenting my code i'll upload it and you guys can see what I did.
          I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

that'd be great. doesn't look like there's anything to the board except a bunch of relays working off the 5vs coming off the parallel port. $35 is a pretty good price for the parts and arrangement. I bet if you needed more (as I do) you could wire two of them into a single paralell port.
            car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/vblpt.htm
              Aaron's site is what I used when I wrote my first program, and it says something like 12 is the max for output and 4 for input. However, you can get a Parallel card and 2 relay cards and I'll hook you up with a customized version with 16 buttons instead of 8
              I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

What language did you write it in? Also would I be able to get the source code to implement in my media thingy.
                CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
                Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

I have this
                  http://www.controlanything.com/cgi-b...ct_Code=R85PRO

They have others too. I wrote my own VB software for it.

Comment

is there a nicer software sort of xenarc
                    no offence wizzz

Comment

just asking

Comment

Any update on providing the source?

Comment

I thought I had posted that....

I'll post it tonight when I get home (assuming I can find it)
                          I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

wizardPC,

What are the capabilities of the board you own? Does it not do anything you wish it did? Can it be powered from the computer PS? Does it have high enough ratings that it can switch pretty much anything?
                            Silver 1999 Nissan Pathfinder!
                            Completion: [*********-] 90%
                            Everything working! Mobile MP3s ROCK!
                            LEFT TO DO: Improve power on circuit, fix slow boot time

- 550mhz PIII on Abit BH6
                            - 128MB RAM
                            - 40x4 Backlit Character LCD
                            - 17 key numeric keypad - Repainted buttons
                            - 2.1GB laptop drive for OS
                            - 4.3GB drive for MP3s

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/bombboyer/ Redesigned, new pics!

Comment

well, I wish that my board utilized all of the lines, not just the 8 main ones. By that I mean that the LPT port has something line 12 output lines and 4 input lines, and I wish this board could utilize those. But, for $35, I cant complain much.

I also wish that the connector on it was a centronics or a DB-25 Female. Instead, it has a DB-25 Male, which means that you can concievably connect it to your computer with no cables, but thats not a good idea because of the card's size and weight. As it comes, you have to buy a male-male straight cable (NOT a null modem cable) and an male-female adapter.

The relays that come with it are SPDT 12V relays rated at 15A. For anyone reading who does not know what that means, SPDT means Single Pole Double Throw. In English, SPDT means that there is one common pin that is switched between 2 output pins, 1 pin when the relay is off and the other when the relay is on. For our purposes, you would put a 12v+ wire to the middle (common) pin and the 12v+in to your device on the other end.

The board has 2 ways to connect the 12V power needed for the board--a round power connector and a terminal strip. While you can have the board powered by the PSU, its probably not a good idea. I will be powering the board with a hard switch (the relays will not activate without power to the board, regardless of whether there is power to any of the pins on any of the relays) so I can turn off the board a) when I am booting the computer or b) when I want to cut power to my devices.

The 15A rating on the relays is adequate for most accessories in a car--neons, door locks, your low power devices. DO NOT try to use one of those relays to directly power something like your amplifiers or God forbid your starter. Use those relays to activate other, high current relays like those found at your local auto parts place. Those are usually about 30A.
                              I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

Working...
                              X