Using VB to search and play a track in Winamp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using VB to search and play a track in Winamp

Alrighty. I am SO stuck with the development of this interface o' mine. If you've been following our hero thus far, you know that I'm trying to eliminate the commandline program that I've been using to compensate for the lack of some functions in the WinampCOM plugin I've somehow become attached to.

SO.

During my travels throughout the Intarweb page thingy, I have found a way to address Winamp through VB itself, without relying on any external programs. I still need that COM plugin though, as it still allows me to import a playlist from Winamp to VB, which as far as I can tell isn't possible in VB itself without a big brewhaha. Anyhow, I've rethought my process a little, and have decided maybe database method would be best for keeping track of the tunes. The downside to this is that while I know how to set up a search feature this way, I have no clue about how to maintain a playlist while allowing a user to select an individual track at any given moment. Coyote, how did you address this? Anybody else who's dealt with this little SNAFU, please post up. I'm about ready to shoot something, and I've already beaten the livin hell out of Call of Duty and Unreal Tournament!
    The ALEXIS Project
    MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
    Color Coding :
    DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Originally posted by deadweasel
    Alrighty. I am SO stuck with the development of this interface o' mine. If you've been following our hero thus far, you know that I'm trying to eliminate the commandline program that I've been using to compensate for the lack of some functions in the WinampCOM plugin I've somehow become attached to.

SO.

During my travels throughout the Intarweb page thingy, I have found a way to address Winamp through VB itself, without relying on any external programs. I still need that COM plugin though, as it still allows me to import a playlist from Winamp to VB, which as far as I can tell isn't possible in VB itself without a big brewhaha. Anyhow, I've rethought my process a little, and have decided maybe database method would be best for keeping track of the tunes. The downside to this is that while I know how to set up a search feature this way, I have no clue about how to maintain a playlist while allowing a user to select an individual track at any given moment. Coyote, how did you address this? Anybody else who's dealt with this little SNAFU, please post up. I'm about ready to shoot something, and I've already beaten the livin hell out of Call of Duty and Unreal Tournament!

Check your PM
    [H]4 Life
    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
    I'm a lesbian too.
    I am for hire!

Comment

Well fine then !
      [H]4 Life
      I'm a lesbian too.
      I am for hire!

Comment

I think you may be taking the tougher route. Why not just manage the playlist in VB and only instruct Winamp to play the selected song? That's how I wrote my software to work and you take out the round-about way of sending the playlist back and forth.
        Don't Click

Comment

I deal with playlists in winamp version 2. I can add the playlists to winamp remove them and create custom playlists and save them. Check out my media player source code under the software development section.
          CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
          Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

My program reads the winamp playlist on load (reads the text file) into a collection. Displays the list to the user for them to search. When they pick a song, the prog sends the index to the winamp play command (whatever the message command is to play a playlist song).

I found that telling winamp to play songs causes a delay. Minor, but noticeable if you're trying to play two songs which are supposed to run together. I also didn't want to write a complete playlist subsystem (shuffle, ID3, etc...)

Source is available on my site...
            http://www.jeepmp3.com/
            CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
            Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

owenjh - I just snagged the source, and will check it out to see how you go about it. Thanks!

PatO - Ahhh... So you bypass Winamp loading the m3u in the first place? So you all you would need to do is send the filename of the selected item's index to Winamp for playback. How do you work that though? I mean, I would like to avoid displaying the actual filenames in the listbox, as that would take up valuable space in the box. How do you reference the selected item's index with the actual filename? I tried to take a peek at your code, but your site appears to be down with Comcast.

Frodo - So sorry I didn't hit you back right away about your offer to IM! I thought I was going to be settling in for a nice coding session, but got caught up in the inevitable festivities out in the living room (roommates + beers = mucho fun to be had). I will yack at ya as soon as I can sit back down in front of my machine again, k? For now, I'm stuck doing work crap all day, and house crap all evening, so the most I can do is check up on the gang's latest shenanigans from the living room machine now and then.

Thanks for your responses so far everyone! This project was getting me a little fuzzy in the head, and unsure of which way to go, since the more I looked, the more possibilities and options were popping up at me. Y'all have come through once again and saved me from cracking open a Red Bull and trying to code while shaking myself to pieces.
              The ALEXIS Project
              Color Coding :

Comment

Frodo - So sorry I didn't hit you back right away about your offer to IM! I thought I was going to be settling in for a nice coding session, but got caught up in the inevitable festivities out in the living room (roommates + beers = mucho fun to be had). I will yack at ya as soon as I can sit back down in front of my machine again, k? For now, I'm stuck doing work crap all day, and house crap all evening, so the most I can do is check up on the gang's latest shenanigans from the living room machine now and then.

I wasn't really offended
                [H]4 Life
                I'm a lesbian too.
                I am for hire!

Comment

That's cool. It's the principal of the thing though. "Never leave your buds hanging" is the rule this year!
                  The ALEXIS Project
                  Color Coding :

Comment

That's cool. It's the principal of the thing though. "Never leave your buds hanging" is the rule this year!
                    wanna chat now ?
                    [H]4 Life
                    I'm a lesbian too.
                    I am for hire!

Comment

PatO - Ahhh... So you bypass Winamp loading the m3u in the first place? So you all you would need to do is send the filename of the selected item's index to Winamp for playback. How do you work that though? I mean, I would like to avoid displaying the actual filenames in the listbox, as that would take up valuable space in the box. How do you reference the selected item's index with the actual filename? I tried to take a peek at your code, but your site appears to be down with Comcast.
                      No no no...
                      I don't bypass Winamp. I merely tell it what to do if I don't like what it's doing. Winamp starts and does its thing with playlists and such. When a user tells my program to play the next song, my prog fires the NEXT message. If a user says play song XXX, my prog has the playlist in memory and sends the song number to Winamp through another message.

Winamp (2x, anyway) assigns numbers to songs according to the line number in the playlist (filter out garbage lines such as title info).

I'm not sure what you mean by "take up valuable space in the box"... You'll have to help me out on that one...

Also not sure why my site isn't working for you. Never heard any complaints before. Has anyone else had any trouble??? Send me your email and I'll get the source to you.

Try this address: http://home.comcast.net/~mp3jeep/

On a side note - I just got myself an Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 Wireless! All set for Doom III and Unreal 2004! (Just have to wait 3-4 months for them to come out.)
                      http://www.jeepmp3.com/
                      CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
                      Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

Oh ok... I see now. What I meant by valuable space is that I have the font sizing just perfect for the listbox. If I allow it to display the full path of the file, it will be crammed in there!

As for your site, Comcast seems to be a bit of a pimp's whore with the browser they allow to be used. I use Mozilla Firebird, and when I click your link, I get Comcast's custom 404 error page. When I copy and paste into IE, it goes just fine. St00pid... Oh well, I can now surf your digz freely! Thanks!
                        The ALEXIS Project
                        Color Coding :

Comment

Oh ok... I see now. What I meant by valuable space is that I have the font sizing just perfect for the listbox. If I allow it to display the full path of the file, it will be crammed in there!

As for your site, Comcast seems to be a bit of a pimp's whore with the browser they allow to be used. I use Mozilla Firebird, and when I click your link, I get Comcast's custom 404 error page. When I copy and paste into IE, it goes just fine. St00pid... Oh well, I can now surf your digz freely! Thanks!

That's why you use two listboxes (one hidden with the full path) or use an array.
                          [H]4 Life
                          I'm a lesbian too.
                          I am for hire!

Comment

you know what, I hadn't even thought about using a second one! I have to wonder how much that would impair the speed capability of the app though, having to populate two listboxes... As it is, Frodo, your help was instrumental in helping me to cut Clever out of the picture, so I am currently back on track with slimming this thing down!
                            The ALEXIS Project
                            Color Coding :

Comment

You won't notice much of a speed decrease at all.
                              You can also use and array and redim it as needed.
                              I have 1 list with an array. The array is synchronous with the list
                              and holds:

--------
                              full path
                              title
                              artist
                              album
                              genre
                              -------

Frodo
                              [H]4 Life
                              I'm a lesbian too.
                              I am for hire!

Comment

Working...
                              X