XP embedded progress

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP embedded progress

I have been fiddeling a bit with XP embedded and right now i have a 105mb XP installation that boots to CLI in 25sec's (excluding POST).

I'm going to fix a little bit more so I can try to get it running with some kind of music playback software. Media-Engine is currently a no-go since there is no XPe Component for DX9/WMP9 yet.

I'll keep you updated...

Christian...
    Christian...
    Currently missing ATX DCDC power & LCD stuff =)

If you knew how, you could create your own DX9/WMP9 component. My footprint is 125 mb and loads to useable in about 20 seconds excluding POST. I just messed with it this weekend and came up with that. I'm going to continue tweaking with the next version of ME in mind (based on Winamp, not WMP). I would love to hear about other people's configurations and stuff since this is the first time I've ever messed with it and I'm trying to learn as much about it as possible.

Comment

125MB footprint is pretty big. I heard MS actually managed to make their image around 25MB so I don't see why you guys can't make it around 50MB with 5-10 second post.

L
      - Lwin M. Maung
      If it's stuck, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway

Comment

when u add network and multimedia capabilitiess.... it increases tremndously. I got mine, with full functionality down to 325, plut I wouldnt recommend applying any updates to it. Mine crashed afterwards.
        2011 Nissan Frontier SL
        AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
        OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

Originally posted by Custommx3
          when u add network and multimedia capabilitiess.... it increases tremndously. I got mine, with full functionality down to 325, plut I wouldnt recommend applying any updates to it. Mine crashed afterwards.
          Thats normal if you used the windows update site. You can not apply the normal windows updates because the update do not recognize that you use windows xp embedded.
          Update to WMP9 worked for me without problems but thats not guaranted.

Manuel

Comment

Sorry to sound so "Neewb" but what are you guys doing to the XP Distribution to get those times down ? I started by making unnecisary services manual startups, instead of automatic, and that helped a little....
            Home Page
            New '93 R1
            http://member.newsguy.com/~gfxfctry/...Signiature.jpg

Comment

I got a question on the trial time. I know its 90 or 180 days but can you just format and reinstall the same copy again and again?
              Hardware: M10000 / 2.5" 700meg Solid State Drive / 30 gig 7200 rpm HD / DigitalWW 7" LCD / USB Touscreen / X10 Lola Remote / Serial GPS
              Current Project: Turning Nissan Steering Wheel Remote into Joystick to control Frodoplayer

Comment

Originally posted by leenas
                I got a question on the trial time. I know its 90 or 180 days but can you just format and reinstall the same copy again and again?
                You have to rebuild the install then reinstall, but I don't know for sure. That's just what I heard.

Yeah, I have networking and DX8 so that's why my footprint is 125mb. Even with that, I currently have no way to install hardware or software because I haven't quite figured out how to embbed it yet. My install isn't really useable, I just runs and I can click an empty start menu.

Comment

Originally posted by RX7FDTT
                  Sorry to sound so "Neewb" but what are you guys doing to the XP Distribution to get those times down ? I started by making unnecisary services manual startups, instead of automatic, and that helped a little....
                  Bootvis
                  Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

make sure task manager is installed and enabled for Bootvis.
                    2011 Nissan Frontier SL
                    OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

Are these VALID XPE that we are all talking about or the bootleg versions ?
                      abcd-1
                      Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
                      You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

180 day trials.
                        2011 Nissan Frontier SL

Comment

Trial downloaded from MS.com.

Comment

Guys...fyi, there was a VERY long thread on this subject last (July??). Many of these ideas were kicked around. Someone finally concluded that XPE was too bloated when all of the services were added to support carpc applications. I'm not a (recent) programmer, but would like to hear where this ends up.
                            MikeH

Comment

Originally posted by All4Norway
                              I have been fiddeling a bit with XP embedded and right now i have a 105mb XP installation that boots to CLI in 25sec's (excluding POST).

I'm going to fix a little bit more so I can try to get it running with some kind of music playback software. Media-Engine is currently a no-go since there is no XPe Component for DX9/WMP9 yet.

I'll keep you updated...

Christian...
                              It is very simple to add new components with XPE and this is all you need to do for each software application you wish to add/install.

You can build pretty decent builds with XPE that cn be easily reimaged but when it comes down to it most like to have the added ability to change the configs and treat the car pc like a home pc without the hassle of recompiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X