Too many developers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many developers

I know this sounds retarded, but still the same.
    I think the programmers are spread a little too thin around here.
    Its good to have options and the more options for incar front end solutions the better. We have some talented programers on this board, but for the most part none are working together. I think it would benifit everyone as a whole if more coders decided to help out an existing project vs starting there own from scratch. Yeah i know everyone wants to do there own thing, and thats fine and dandy. But think if all the coders got together and worked together on one app.
    But hey, i cant code at all, so this is

Just a suggestion.
    01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
    01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
    mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

i agree, however its not going to happen

Comment

As a programmer I know just how hard it is to get multi programmers working on the same project.. Even with "Source Save" here at my job it's hard keeping everyone on the same objective.. Getting two or three programmers spread across the world using text chat to communicate with each other has got to be a huge pain in the ***..

I'm guessing that is one of the reasons no one has tried..
      www.DurangoSUV.com

Comment

That's why I released the source for AIS. If you want to do something to it, feel free but I am not going to edit the source to meet your needs. Most developers develope because they want a certain feature added to their interface. I have no problem with working with people but I want AIS to look the way it is right now. I don't want it to look flashy, I don't want it to do a ton of things. I want a simple interface which can be used with anything out there. Simple right? If it is one person team yeah. If you have more than one person, you have trouble. My version of AIS and his ideas may not mash. You get the picture?
        - Lwin M. Maung
        If it's stuck, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway

Comment

I doubt any programmers here are going to get together. It is very hard to program in groups because people think and code in different ways. I started my own not because I wanted to but because I couldn't work with anything else that was avaliable, I just could not get along with the source code.
          CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
          Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

I'd be happy if carcomp would release dev builds of ME. I've been waiting on the next patch for far to long now. (wasn't it supposed to be out before Xmas?)

Coders tend to work best on their own. it's easier to start from scrach on a program and do it the way you feel like, rather then forcing yourself into having to use someone elses code.
            A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
            http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

I Just wonder if some of the people that have a solid core, would be willing to expose some stuff for purposes of an API or some way of adding functionality similar to Winamp etc.. .to their apps, so that If I have a custum USB radio (I wish) i could write the code to controll it and hook it into your interface...
              Home Page
              New '93 R1
              http://member.newsguy.com/~gfxfctry/...Signiature.jpg

Comment

I Just wonder if some of the people that have a solid core, would be willing to expose some stuff for purposes of an API or some way of adding functionality similar to Winamp etc.. .to their apps, so that If I have a custum USB radio (I wish) i could write the code to controll it and hook it into your interface...

If you can make a small app (I can't remember the dimension) you can put anything inside AIS. Try that.
                - Lwin M. Maung
                If it's stuck, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway

Comment

A lot of us developers are pretty protective of our works. MediaEngine started off being open source, but then we got to a point where we were doing things no one has done and coming up with original ideas. Thats when we decided to cut off the open source on new versions (you can still get the source for older versions though).

Also, it wouldn't be too hard to coordinate developement between coders, so long as 1) they are good enough and 2) they have enough time to dedicate to the project.

I've had a ridiculous amount of people say "ya i'd like to help" but when I say "can you code up a trial for this thing" it never happens.

Thats the way it needs to be done. Don't let your sub coders work on the actual code, just let them develope testbeds or "standalones" for you to see the best way to have something be written, then let the main developer take that test app and incorporate it into the main app.

Thats how I do it. Thats how GPS and DVD were developed. In fact, every "part" of m.e was once a little standalone app. Like the X10 / Irman code grabber and the Listbox you all do your music searches in.

-CarComp
                  Get MediaEngine !!!
                  Media Engine Download

Comment

I have more or less the same opinion that Carcomp about Mediacar.
                    www.media-car.fr.st
                    The first Belgian PC fully integrated in a car :)

Comment

I'm starting my own now, mainly because I want it to be a bit more customized, and so it can suit more needs.
                      At the start it wont be public, but in time if it goes well I will realease various betas... after that, I usually carry on developing on my own. If I get alot of help with bugs etc that is when I decide to open the code, and if I get further help with the code I might draw in other developers to help... that is how most of my coding goes anyways, usually the best, because the problem with most projects is starting, and adding more people to this makes it more likely that it will fail imo.

Everything that I code is based on a solid framework and is usually very open to being customized so non coders can maybe change it to their needs.

Comment

I plan to share my code, but working with others is hard. I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point as far as collaboration.

Frodo
                        [H]4 Life
                        My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                        It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                        I'm a lesbian too.
                        I am for hire!

Comment

Each of us is striving toward our own vision. The look of the interface itself is probably one of the biggest things that we are trying to code for. For myself, I understand that what one person thinks a button should look like, won't necessarily look like I want it to look. I have no qualms about sharing code bits back and forth, so that everyone involved can benefit from different ideas about how to go about something, without worrying about the hassles of different styles of coding, and potential conflicts. For example, if I were to ask Frodo to rewrite what I have so far, (and this is assuming a lot I know! ) what I would get back would be a buttload of API-based controlling, which would leave me scratching my head as to how to add in some more of my ideas. The differences in competence and knowledge is probably the biggest barrier to some of us getting together and truly collaborating on a project. I don't sit over Frodo's shoulder to better understand how his mind works when coding a particular function, so I will have no way to keep continuity throughout the project.

Not to make you the main example Frodo, but you ARE the dude who's worked the most with me on some of the biggest problems I have encountered so far. You and your affinity for the API have really made me want to learn more about it.
                          The ALEXIS Project
                          MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
                          Color Coding :
                          DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

I agree with everyones comments. All very valid.
                            I know its hard working with others that you never actually see. I do it everyday. The company I work for is split into two offices and every dept is also split in two. Im in chicago and the other office is on the east cost. Our head IT guy is on the east cost, most of the programmers are on the east cost, most of the art team is in chi but the art director is on the east coast. It goes on and on. My boss is on the east coast and his boss is down the hall from me . It sounds like complete horror and believe me it is hard at times, but we get used to it.

Hey The Durango Kid, source save sucks I hate that app, it is sooooo sloooow. I mean painfully slow, just curious how fast or slow would you say it is. It take like 15-20 seconds just for it to register my clicks. I wonder all the time how do people actually get any work done waiting for it.

Anyway, in general if its not your job your getting paid to do, working with other with anything can be a pain and sometimes just out right impossible. When i was in college i hated doing any group projects, there were allways big issues with someone not doing there job.

Well either way, to all the coders here, we appreciate you.
                            Your hard work pays off for all of us. If it wernt for this site and a lot of others hard work, many of our projects would have crashed and burnt or not be as nearly as functional and cool as they are now.

Hats off.
                            01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                            01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
                            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                            mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

One of the plus points of there being separate projects, is each project has its own ideas. eg CarBox, MediaCar and MediaEngine all manage playlists in a different way. Similarly other features are evident in some products and not in others. They'll kinda grow together, as the more "useful" features are weaned out and incorporated into the various projects in different ways ( Not blatant copying, I'm talking concepts and certain ways of a product working ).

This way, all the different programs get better, with more useful features, and people still have a choice. Freedom of choice is a good thing.

GingerPrince

Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
                              CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

Comment

Working...
                              X