Creating VIS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating VIS

Hi everyone. Been reading here for almost a year. Been tossing ideas for a self coded carputer interface for about 3 years now. Still in the paper stage(sigh).

One of the things that I've been looking for info on before I get into code is how to make my own Vis utility. Has anyone done this? I know it would be a lot easier to just piggy back off of WMP or WinAmp, but I'd like the satisfaction of doing it myself. Even just the satisfaction of figuring out how it's done and then deciding it's too hard would be nice...

I have a good bit of experience with VB. Mostly DB stuff and less of the Windows API, but I'm hoping to expand that. I've also done a couple of C classes and a C++ class, but nothing 'real world' yet.

It really all depends on how you are planning on playing music.

After that you will have to figure out how to get the sound data.

The rest is just gravy.
    [H]4 Life
    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
    I'm a lesbian too.
    I am for hire!

Comment

Hmmm. To focus on just learning the VIS part, I was planning on just getting sound data from the general Wav output from the sound card. Figured I could learn how to tie it to a specific program later on. I found a couple of example programs on planet source code that supposedly did that, but I haven't been able to make them work yet.

BTW, what's your nick on the [H]?

Comment

This thread got pushed down a while ago, but I found something I thought was worth sharing with everyone.

This is almost exactly what I was looking for:
        https://www.relisoft.com/freeware/freq.html

It takes it's samples off of the mic input instead of the line out, but since they have source code posted, I'm hoping that it will be pretty simple to fix that. It makes a standalone app, but should be helpful to anyone that knows C++ well enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Hartlove
          BTW, what's your nick on the [H]?
          same
          [H]4 Life
          My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
          It will be done sometime in the next generation.
          I'm a lesbian too.
          I am for hire!

Comment

Working...
          X