Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hibernate restore speed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hibernate restore speed

    On my dell laptop with 256mb ram with a slowish HDD, windows restores from hibernate in under 3 seconds, my M1000 with 256mb DDR ram and a 7,200rpm HDD does it in about 8secs - why the discrepency? is the laptop doing something clever in hardware to achieve this? If i could afford to buy another laptop i'd fit the dell in the car - it has a lightning fast BIOS - from power button to mp3 is 6 secs flat - no joke
    James
    www.digital-car.co.uk - The UK CarPC Forum

  • #2
    what OS are you running on your dell laptop? What OS for the M1000? Sometimes OS makes a difference....

    have you tried installing win95 or win98 on a P4 system? It installs the OS like if it was installing IM...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Jamez_Warner
      On my dell laptop with 256mb ram with a slowish HDD, windows restores from hibernate in under 3 seconds, my M1000 with 256mb DDR ram and a 7,200rpm HDD does it in about 8secs - why the discrepency? is the laptop doing something clever in hardware to achieve this? If i could afford to buy another laptop i'd fit the dell in the car - it has a lightning fast BIOS - from power button to mp3 is 6 secs flat - no joke
      James
      Is that from power on????? My M9000 takes about 10 seconds just to POST, then another 15 seconds or so to resume. 256Mb RAM here, too.

      GingerPrince

      Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

      Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
      CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by GingerPrince
        Is that from power on????? My M9000 takes about 10 seconds just to POST, then another 15 seconds or so to resume. 256Mb RAM here, too.
        yes check the difference in the post time (the part before the "resuming windows" thing comes up). Also could be due to difference in speed of RAM or the bus speed (resuming from hibernate means writing from hard drive to RAM) or also the difference in processor architecture may contribute, but I'm not sure how much the processor plays a part in resuming from hibernate, probably minimal.

        Comment


        • #5
          What about amount of ram !? I loaded my M10000 with a Gig, am I going to be penalized for that even if I didn't fill up the whole gig during the cession !?
          Home Page
          New '93 R1
          http://member.newsguy.com/~gfxfctry/...Signiature.jpg

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by RX7FDTT
            What about amount of ram !? I loaded my M10000 with a Gig, am I going to be penalized for that even if I didn't fill up the whole gig during the cession !?
            Yep, it will try to write/read 1gb of data to/from the hard drive.


            Garry
            Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
            www.aimee.cc

            Comment


            • #7
              My hibernate STR (not std...):

              Epia M9000...

              Wmv: (4 Mb)
              http://www.media-cruiser.com/articlecarmedia/opus2.wmv
              Divx 5.05: (8 Mb, better quality)
              http://www.media-cruiser.com/articlecarmedia/opus.avi

              Note that the opus shutdown ctrl wait to much to start...
              Epia M9000, lili 7" vga&touch & 2xTM-7002S compo, camera with reversed image, 2.5" 60 GB, 256Mb DDR, Opus 90W, GPS usb... AND MEDIACRUISER of course!

              Comment


              • #8
                For you (and others who use suspend to RAM), how long do you find you can leave it in suspend mode before your car battery starts to suffer?

                GingerPrince

                Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

                Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
                CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

                Comment


                • #9
                  the laptop and m10000 are both on XP....

                  10 secs to POST?? have you turned off all the LAN booting, enabled quick boot & updated BIOS ? m1000 nehemiah takes no more than 5 secs from power on...
                  www.digital-car.co.uk - The UK CarPC Forum

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    For the STR...

                    Beware that the 5V on the USB is still there!

                    So I use a Usb 2.0 Hub powered by the 5V from the opus molex => it power off my usb stuff...

                    (It's working since a while like this! tested only 2 day without starting the car again...)

                    I will do some mesurement...
                    Epia M9000, lili 7" vga&touch & 2xTM-7002S compo, camera with reversed image, 2.5" 60 GB, 256Mb DDR, Opus 90W, GPS usb... AND MEDIACRUISER of course!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by PTCruiser
                      So I use a Usb 2.0 Hub powered by the 5V from the opus molex => it power off my usb stuff...
                      That's quite a good idea. Even in full hibernate mode the USB devices are powered up due to the way the Opus works. I'm looking at getting a USB2 DVD drive, so will likely need a powered hub anyway.

                      I presume that when you use a powered hub, it completely bypasses the 5v supply from the USB ports themselves?



                      Sy

                      GingerPrince

                      Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

                      Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
                      CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yes....That why I use an external with HUB... (not a self powered model of course)

                        You can also cut your usb cable remove the +5V and connect it to the +5V on the molex for each usb device...

                        But it's easier with a hub
                        Epia M9000, lili 7" vga&touch & 2xTM-7002S compo, camera with reversed image, 2.5" 60 GB, 256Mb DDR, Opus 90W, GPS usb... AND MEDIACRUISER of course!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X