In Car Entertainment System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Car Entertainment System

Ive decided to write my own car pc software that i am currently calling Project I.C.E.S. My goal is to create a user friendly car software that requires as few external applications for core functionality such as mp3, dvd, video.

Why am i doing this?
    After looking at what is available, i couldnt quite find anything i was truely happy with. Dont get me wrong there are some spectacular programs out there such as MediaCar, and MediaEngine. but the biggest problem i have with those programs is there dependence on external programs like winamp and whatever dvd software you have. The dvd integration, while works ok, doesnt work with all dvd software available.

How is Project I.C.E.S. different?
    The main difference with this project is that you will not need to have seperate external applications for your multimedia features. This will be accomplished by embedding Windows Media Player 9 directly into the interface, and since Media Player 9 handles dvd(once a software decoder is installed), mp3, mpeg, divx, wma, etc. i hope to provide a nice integrated solution. There will be some need for external software for GPS navigation and maybe a few other features.

What OS will Project I.C.E.S. require?
    Windows ME, 200, XP running Windows Media Player 9

Current features planned:
    1. Integrated DVD player
    2. Integrated MP3 player
    3. Integrated Video Player
    4. Customizable Application Launcher
    5. Skinnable User Interface with plans to write a skin designer
    6. Task List of running programs (for easy program switching)

If all goes well, i will definately be planning on adding more functionality such as support for radio and so on.

I am open to suggestions for functionality and hope to actually have a beta version available sometime soon.

last but definately not least. i have attached a few screenshots of I.C.E.S. These arent the most beautiful screen shots in the world, but i promise you I.C.E.S. will look much better in the future. I like to have a program work first, then once it actually is functional i make it sexy.
    Attached Files
    Saturn Vue
    Via EPIA 800mhz
    Lilliput 7" touchscreen

Into metal? check out my band Experimental Mind Therapy (E.M.T.)
    http://www.emt-online.net

Sounds pretty nice...
    As far as suggestions go:
    1. I'm sure that we'd all love it here if you could figure out a way to incorporate drivers and usability with Hauppauge USB TV-fm stuff...
    2. The ability to add custom apps to the software, to configure GPS software, etc....

Hope it goes well!
    Project "Media-Z" : 99 Camaro Z28 (Click to View)

Comment

Originally posted by Jmiller808
      ....and since Media Player 9 handles dvd(once a software decoder is installed), ....
      What OS will Project I.C.E.S. require?
      Windows ME, 200, XP running Windows Media Player 9

Windows Media Player 9 will only play DVD Video on XP.
      [H]4 Life
      My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
      It will be done sometime in the next generation.
      I'm a lesbian too.
      I am for hire!

Comment

your right! i almost forgot about that. better add that to my list of program limitations. If OS is not windows xp, an external dvd software will be used instead of the dvd functionality provided in I.C.E.S.
        Thanks for the reminder.
        Saturn Vue
        Via EPIA 800mhz
        Lilliput 7" touchscreen

Comment

The main difference with this project is that you will not need to have seperate external applications for your multimedia features. This will be accomplished by embedding Windows Media Player 9 directly into the interface
          CarBox already embeds WMP, and the development version I'm working on now adds DVD and Audio CD functionality. Should be released shortly. In the meantime perhaps you want to check out the current release of CarBox (website below).

Sy

GingerPrince

Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
          CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

Comment

So ive been at it for a while working on I.C.E.S. in what spare time i can and ive made some great progress. Mp3 and Video playback are now complete and im now ive moved on to the skinning of those sections of the program. things look good so far but i just wanted to throw a question out. what would be the best image format to use for the skinned items. GIF or BMP format? ive been working with BMP and that works great. just wanted to satisfy some curiousity. Once i have the skinning working on Mp3 and Video, i will be moving on to the DVD player. Hope to post some screenshots soon.

Thanks to GingerPrince! your tips definately helped with the Media Player ActiveX Component.

Cheers
            Josh
            Saturn Vue
            Via EPIA 800mhz
            Lilliput 7" touchscreen

Comment

PNG with an alpha channel for transparency.

So ive been at it for a while working on I.C.E.S. in what spare time i can and ive made some great progress. Mp3 and Video playback are now complete and im now ive moved on to the skinning of those sections of the program. things look good so far but i just wanted to throw a question out. what would be the best image format to use for the skinned items. GIF or BMP format? ive been working with BMP and that works great. just wanted to satisfy some curiousity. Once i have the skinning working on Mp3 and Video, i will be moving on to the DVD player. Hope to post some screenshots soon.

Thanks to GingerPrince! your tips definately helped with the Media Player ActiveX Component.

Cheers
              Josh
              StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
              Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
              The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

I second the PNG with alpha, also im not sure how far along you are with the skinning stuff. But it would be nice if the elements can be placed anywhere you want them to be. Ie, i can build my interface to be in any layout I want and not restricted to just making the current layout look different. You should be able to assign any graphic element to a function in the program and place the graphic elements anywhere you like.
                01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
                http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

Originally posted by liquid_smoke
                  I second the PNG with alpha, also im not sure how far along you are with the skinning stuff. But it would be nice if the elements can be placed anywhere you want them to be. Ie, i can build my interface to be in any layout I want and not restricted to just making the current layout look different. You should be able to assign any graphic element to a function in the program and place the graphic elements anywhere you like.
                  i definately have that planned to be able to set the interface anyway you like. i currently have a graphic control for every element on the interface (with the exception of lists and grids), the skinning engine i am writing will allow the following properties to be set:

All Controls:
                  Top position
                  Left position
                  Width
                  Height

Additional Image Control properties:
                  Alternate Image (If available, mostly for buttons to set an pressed and unpressed graphic)

Aditional Text Control Properties:
                  Font
                  FontSize
                  FontColor
                  Bold
                  Underline
                  Italic
                  Strikethrough

More properties will likely be available as i get farther with my skinning engine and work on the skinning of other screens.

Sounds like PNG is the format to go with. will do some testing with them tonight. Thanks for the suggestions
                  Saturn Vue
                  Via EPIA 800mhz
                  Lilliput 7" touchscreen

Comment

Another Delphi Coder!

Could I already test your program?

Open point with wmp9 in delphi:

How to use the mixer, how to change the aspect ratio of movies...
                    Epia M9000, lili 7" vga&touch & 2xTM-7002S compo, camera with reversed image, 2.5" 60 GB, 256Mb DDR, Opus 90W, GPS usb... AND MEDIACRUISER of course!

Comment

Is there a chance to overview your source code? (if its object Pascal from Delphi). I could help you with the project if you are interested. Of course, not in the case you want to keep your source code undisclosed.

Comment

PTCruiser,
                        I havent attempted to work with the mixer as of yet so im not sure what i will need to do in order to implement that portion of the program. I will be getting to that eventually.

For all who have offered their assistance,
                        For right now i would like to continue working on this project by myself, at least until i have core functionality done and have a stable and usable version of the program. When feature requests start coming in after that im sure it will be difficult for me to do it alone. At which point i will definately make the source code available for anyone out there that would like to contribute to this project. When that happens i will definately make a post about it on these forums to let everyone know about it.

Attached are some screenshots for some of the functionality, my skin doesnt look the greatest...perhaps some photoshop lessons are in order

Thanks all!

Josh
                        Attached Files
                        Saturn Vue
                        Via EPIA 800mhz
                        Lilliput 7" touchscreen

Comment

Status Update:

Just wanted to keep everyone posted on the progress. I just added gps support into the program. this allows you to use any gps software you would like. it then embeds it into ICES. I have tested this with Microsoft Streets & Trips, and Rand McNally Streetfinder Deluxe. Still working on refining this a little because in order to embed the program properly, you have to set an option that is the text of your programs titlebar. also added 9 customizable macro buttons for the gps screen. this gives you the ability to record macros for your common tasks like zooming, starting the gps tracking etc...then play those actions back with a single button press. (navigating menus on a small touchscreen for a week made me add that feature he he.)

I plan on actually releasing a beta version sometime around the beginning of April. The following functionality will be available in this first beta:
                          MP3, Video, DVD, GPS Integration.
                          When i make the beta available i will let you know where to download it.
                          Saturn Vue
                          Via EPIA 800mhz
                          Lilliput 7" touchscreen

Comment

so, how's the i.c.e.s. project going, j?

Hardware:
                            [0=========]
                            Install:
                            [0=========]

Comment

Know what? There are *SO* man new (and very functional) projects in the works now. Wouldn't it make sense for everyone to collaborate their efforts in one kick *** project?

just a suggestion.
                              Asus Pundit Barebones PC
                              7" Lilliput LCD
                              P4 2.8ghz 512mb 120gb
                              Windows XP Pro, VOICES
                              Sony Xplode 10in Sub, Rockford 600w amp
                              Pioneer 6x9's and 4x6's, Kenwood 4ch amp
                              Black Widow Alarm with Pager

Comment

Working...
                              X