Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darkening the Screen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Darkening the Screen

    It seems my video card/driver doesn't like gamm correction API's (although it has some gamm settings in it's properties). As such I am wondering about other ways to dimt he screen for night time use.

    Thoughts I have had so far that I'd welcome opinion on:
    1) Try to create an app that is basically an "always on top" transparent form and adjust the transparency to "dim" the other apps. Issue... how could the other apps syill respond to mouse clicks etc...

    2) See if there is any way to adjust the settings of the chips tech 69000 from code.

    3) Try to switch Win2k schemes, although even a black scheme is kind of bright!

    Any other ideas?

    Chris.

  • #2
    Hi ukchris,

    Gamma correction is indeed flaky unfortunately. You may want to try my software Brightness Console (http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22051) to see if that helps, although I'm not sure it will if gamma correction isn't accepted at all. Although we were able to get ours to function a little better (at least in our own tests on a couple of systems) than some of the other pieces of software out there, by creating our own gamma ramps. (Let me know if it works if you get a chance to try it out.)

    In either case another option to look into are some API's to control the DC voltage output to an LCD to control the brightness that way, although this may not work either based on the LCD. (Can't remember the API name, although I believe MSDN had it somewhere, unfortunately I had no success myself with it.)

    Goodluck
    Overnight Technologies

    Comment


    • #3
      Just tried it, app looks great, just what I could do with, but it doesn't work on this *$%#%#% PC..! For your reference is it a Chips and Tech 69000 card.

      Thanks... but any other ideas? I'm even wondering about a piece of tinted film over the screen at night!

      Chris.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ukchris
        Just tried it, app looks great, just what I could do with, but it doesn't work on this *$%#%#% PC..! For your reference is it a Chips and Tech 69000 card.

        Thanks... but any other ideas? I'm even wondering about a piece of tinted film over the screen at night!

        Chris.

        If you are interested, and you are using Win2000 or WinXP try this, I have created something that seems to do the trick, it will dim the whole screen using a slider control (without using gamma correction). If you are interested post or PM your mail address and I can mail it to you or if someone has somewhere they could host it let me know. This is a prototype for now.

        Chris.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ukchris
          If you are interested, and you are using Win2000 or WinXP try this, I have created something that seems to do the trick, it will dim the whole screen using a slider control (without using gamma correction). If you are interested post or PM your mail address and I can mail it to you or if someone has somewhere they could host it let me know. This is a prototype for now.

          Chris.

          frodobaggins has been kind enough to host it http://www.midsouthextrusion.com/kev...creenFader.zip

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ukchris
            frodobaggins has been kind enough to host it http://www.midsouthextrusion.com/kev...creenFader.zip

            Thats a cool little app. Will send it to my car tonight. Thanks for sharing.

            Batman
            Batman@TheNewBatcave.com
            www.samshomepage.net

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Batmanatthenewb
              Thats a cool little app. Will send it to my car tonight. Thanks for sharing.

              Batman
              I've found it wasn't quite dark enough so I have a new compile with darker settings, I can mail it to you if needed. I'm also toying with it just being a toggle, I guess all we really need is dark or light, not the various stages.

              Maybe three... light, dark and black... try it, let me know what you think.

              Chris.

              Comment


              • #8
                Cheers Ukchris - nice program, will test it with my screen in the car soon.
                I like the levels you have - seems to work well on my LCD I'm using at home

                Very clever!

                Russ

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by russ
                  Cheers Ukchris - nice program, will test it with my screen in the car soon.
                  I like the levels you have - seems to work well on my LCD I'm using at home

                  Very clever!

                  Russ

                  It's suprising how bright it is in a car at night - trust me! Just the backlight behind a dark screen puts out a lot of light, although there is no frame around mine at the moment. Let me know how you get on though.

                  Chris.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Just letting you guys of another app out there that is supposed to do the same thing. I've yet to test it but it's provided by the maker of A.M.A.N.D.A.

                    The app is called Eclipse :
                    http://www.taylormacintosh.com/Eclipse.htm

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by pc832
                      Just letting you guys of another app out there that is supposed to do the same thing. I've yet to test it but it's provided by the maker of A.M.A.N.D.A.

                      The app is called Eclipse :
                      http://www.taylormacintosh.com/Eclipse.htm
                      pc832,

                      Eclipse is nice. I have it on my system, and it does help. I do like the multiple shades available on Screen Fader though. Gives you just a little more control.

                      Batman
                      Batman@TheNewBatcave.com
                      www.samshomepage.net

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Batmanatthenewb
                        pc832,

                        Eclipse is nice. I have it on my system, and it does help. I do like the multiple shades available on Screen Fader though. Gives you just a little more control.

                        Batman
                        Thanks for the info.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ukchris
                          I've found it wasn't quite dark enough so I have a new compile with darker settings, I can mail it to you if needed. I'm also toying with it just being a toggle, I guess all we really need is dark or light, not the various stages.

                          Maybe three... light, dark and black... try it, let me know what you think.

                          Chris.
                          ukchris,

                          Send it to me at Batman@TheNewBatcave.com

                          Thanks,
                          Batman
                          Batman@TheNewBatcave.com
                          www.samshomepage.net

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by pc832
                            Just letting you guys of another app out there that is supposed to do the same thing. I've yet to test it but it's provided by the maker of A.M.A.N.D.A.

                            The app is called Eclipse :
                            http://www.taylormacintosh.com/Eclipse.htm
                            Most of the Car Apps do it in some form, the issue is that they tend to use Gamma Correction to dim the screen. Some graphics drivers do not support gamma correction API's, notably mine, that's why I wrote this. It will only work with XP and Win2k though as earlier versions did not support the required API calls.

                            Chris.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Any chance this program could be made into an ActiveX control?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X