Importing Into MapPoint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing Into MapPoint

If I capture NMEA data from my GPS and import it into MapPoint 04 the locations are incorrect, does anyone have experience with converting NMEA style LAT/LON into whatever it is MapPoint is expecting to keep it accurate?

Chris.

nmea data is not in lat and long anyway. its in decimal. i have it.. for some reason i don't think it works in the EU.. but i'll give you an example of my code

So pretty much the section is in degrees and minutes.. the first chunk is free and the second is minutes and you just do the math. endpos will be the latitude

Code:
    Private Function getCurrentLat(ByVal curstr As String) As String
        ' first we break the string apart into degrees and minutes
        degree = Mid(curstr, 1, 2)
        minutes = Mid(curstr, 3, 100)
        ' now we do the nmea to latitude conversion
        endpos = (degree + (minutes / 60))
        ' setting the label on the form also doing some formating
        lblLat = "Lat: " & Format(endpos, "00.0000")
        ' returning the value

' destroying vars
        degree = ""
        minutes = ""

getCurrentLat = endpos
    End Function

longitude is the pretty much the same but

degree = Mid(curstr, 1, 3)
    minutes = Mid(curstr, 4, 100)

that

EDIT: i am not a vb programmer.. in fact i HATE VB so the code sucks i'm sure but the concepts are there
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

Comment

Originally posted by hijinks21
      nmea data is not in lat and long anyway. its in decimal. i have it.. for some reason i don't think it works in the EU.. but i'll give you an example of my code

So pretty much the section is in degrees and minutes.. the first chunk is free and the second is minutes and you just do the math. endpos will be the latitude
      That's interesting, I have my data in Excel so I can easily try different formats, I tried Degrees + Minuts/60 last nigt without much joy. Do you append the N/W onto it before importing into MapPoint?

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by hijinks21

Not to be a stickler but you might want to double check that MapPoint is expecting WGS84 datum coordinates instead of NAD27 or NAD83 that is the commonly used standard in the U.S. If so you'll have to do conversion between the two datums. Otherwise you risk being off by a couple hundred feet at least if not more.

Comment

Originally posted by siberia37
          Not to be a stickler but you might want to double check that MapPoint is expecting WGS84 datum coordinates instead of NAD27 or NAD83 that is the commonly used standard in the U.S. If so you'll have to do conversion between the two datums. Otherwise you risk being off by a couple hundred feet at least if not more.
          Sticklers most welcome... I didn't even know there were WGS84 and NAD27... this is getting more complicated every minute! Is it easy to convert between the two? I do see to be off by a few hundred feet, once I reformatted anyway, until then I was somewhere near Pakistan..!!

Chris.
          (In the US, if the name is misleading!)

Comment

my code worked 100% in the US. I had some people tell me it was off in the UK but i went on a few 8 hour trips running my code and it was almost always 100% right on.
            '98 Explorer Sport
            80% done

Comment

So... if I have:

$GPGGA,163519.000,4248.7815,N,07106.2886,W,1,03,02 .8,00042.4,M,-32.8,M,,*5D

This implies LAT = 4248.7815 N and LON = 07106.288 W

So to convert
              LAT : 42 + (48.7815/60) = 42.813025
              LON : 071 + (6.288/60) = 071.1048

Would you append the N/W pre-import - i.e. 42.813025N,071.1048W ?

Chris.

Comment

you don't need to import the N/W and such when you pass it on to mappoint. I think your issue is that Long should be a negative value for the US. try to make it -071..

Here was my lat/long for Albany , NY area

newlat = 42.67606
                newlong = -73.698418
                '98 Explorer Sport
                80% done

Comment

Originally posted by ukchris
                  So... if I have:

$GPGGA,163519.000,4248.7815,N,07106.2886,W,1,03,02 .8,00042.4,M,-32.8,M,,*5D

This implies LAT = 4248.7815 N and LON = 07106.288 W

So to convert
                  LAT : 42 + (48.7815/60) = 42.813025
                  LON : 071 + (6.288/60) = 071.1048

Would you append the N/W pre-import - i.e. 42.813025N,071.1048W ?

Chris.
                  N = +
                  S = -
                  E = +
                  W = -

071.1048 W = -71.1048 Mappoint will accept that.

Comment

Working...
                  X