installing Windows?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing Windows?

Is it possible to install windows from another computer than it's supposed to work on?
    Can I take my HDD from the car to my homePC and install win 2000 there and later us it in my carputer?

I don't want it to look for my homePC devices every boot (I want as fast boot as possible). Is it possible to make a clean install and let it install the devices later?

do you have any advice?

(I can't install it in the car, I don't have any CD-rom)

/Marcus

Copy the installation CD onto the hard disk using your home pc, the transfer the disk back to your car and then install it from the hard disk copy.
    Old Systems retired due to new car
    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Ok
      does it have to be a special name of the directory?

Is there any known problem using windows 2000 as OS for a carputer?

/Marcus

Comment

copy just the I386 directory from the win 2k cd

if you are going to install from DOS, make sure your DOS boot disk install smartdrv otherwise it will take 3-4 times longer.

Comment

Cant I just copy everything to d:
          format c :
          then set d: to bootdevice.

Will the computer boot up with the windows installer?
          Or do I have to install via DOS?

/Marcus

Comment

I don't think the CD boot files will work with a hard-drive (at least i've not tried it).

Normally you would boot from a DOS disk (which has smartdrive on it ), then go into the I386 directory and type winnt. (there are switches you can use but for a standard install you won't need them)

Comment

You need an OS installed to boot into. Just copying the install disk doesn't install an OS.

The CD has a bootsector on it that handles booting. This is not copied by just copying the files across.
              Old Systems retired due to new car
              New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Ok bad luck I don't have a floppy either.
                But If I copy a bootdisk to the hdd it boots with that correct?

Whats the problem if I do as I said first? Installing it on my HomePC?
                Can't I just remove the devices that I'm not using later?

Comment

Unless the hardware in both machines is exactly the same, you will get a Blue Screen of Death on bootup.
                  This is due to Windows XP and 2000 not doing what 98 used to do and just load and enter new hardware into Device Manager.
                  What's the problem with installing 2000 onto your carpc?
                  What do you mean by "I don't want it to look for my homePC devices every boot"?
                  If you want a quick boot, use XP with XPlite!
                  Best regards,

Darren Thrower
                  http://www.percyt.com/mp3player.htm

Comment

With 2000 and xp you will most likely bsod if you try to swap the drive out. It sees too many hardware changes and thinks there is a disk problem.

If it was 98SE I have a great method where you dont need a floppy or rom, but with 2000 and newer software it wont work:
                    Simply put the drive on your desktop machine, install windows 98 like normal until it says it is going to shut down the first time. When it does this, swap the drive into the new computer. when it restarts it will look for hardware and finish installation. Works flawlessly. But again, only on 95/98/98se
                    2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

This isn't that hard to do. I have done it both ways car pc install and then moved to desktop and desktop to car pc. Just put the drive into your desktop, format your drive, run through the install until it reboots and gets into windows for the first time and then take the drive and put it into your carputer. When it boots in your car, it will recognize all of your devices and then you install the drivers for them.
                      Kinda funny this post came up today because I did about this exact same thing just last night with XP Pro. I still had my carputer on the test bench when I was asked to build a computer for someone. I had got in on that deal the other night with the 160gb drive from Office Depot for $70 so I was going to take the 40gb drive out of the carputer anyway. Long story short, I had the 40gb up and running in the carputer for over a week, took it out and put it into the desktop I built, started it up and it recognized all the devices. Just needed drivers for the devices windows didn't have already. The only thing you may want to do is make a copy of the driver disks for your devices (including the motherboard) into a directory on the hard drive so that when windows starts seeing the new devices you will be able to point it there for the drivers.
                      Simple. Works. No BSOD. At least not with XP Pro and I was under the impression that it would if you moved a hard drive from one computer to another as well until I tried it myself over a year ago.
                      7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
                      ATVMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by storm

just copying aboot disk won't help, what you need to do is boot into dos with a win98 boot disk

identify which drive is the one going into the pc and then sys x: where x is the drive letter for the pc going into the car. copy the autoexec.bat file, add smartdrv to it. the drive should then be bootable. nb you should of at some stage made the harddrive active.

Comment

bring carpc hdd home then hook up to desktop pc...
                          make your hdd into 2 partition of fat32...
                          format c: drive bootable with win98 system files including smartdrv...
                          format d: then copy i386 folder from windows 2000 cd...
                          bring it back to car... then boot up...
                          it will bring up to c: prompt... loaded with smartdrv...
                          go to d: drive cd\i386
                          then run winnt.exe
                          you may want to convert or format your c: drive to NTFS during setup...
                          after finished you may delete partition d: then make it to NTFS as well...
                          i hope this would help little...
                          btw... i tried sp2 rc1 on my xp in car... no luck...
                          still can not launch media car...
                          good luck on 2000... and let me know the result...

Originally posted by storm

Comment

I think I will try sfay93 idea.
                            If it works it sounds as the best for me.
                            I'll let you know later.
                            First I'll try to make XP, mediacar and Philips aurilium go together.

/Marcus

Comment

It will work, I just did it 2 days ago. I even took the time to install all of my apps first before I moved the drive.
                              7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
                              ATVMS.com

Comment

Working...
                              X