Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General Software and Computer Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • General Software and Computer Question

    Sorry about asking about something not directly related to mp3 car, but this is one of my best sources of information.
    I am setting up an office that needs 4 computers. I have one already, and I need to add one imedately and two later on. The computers have to networked. I have heard that it is possible to run multiple monitors from a server. I was wonder if this is true because it would save money because they computer need office xp pro that costs like 400 bucks.
    If not I was wondering how I could legally save some money on software when setting up this office. Thanks

  • #2
    Not sure in windows, not easily, u'd needa fork out more than the single licenses to get win 2003 server & associated client software - u basically want 1 main computer and 3 access points. linux could be a possibility, far greater ability for multiple users over a network.
    Mods: 18" Boss rims,Twin custom stainless exhaust,cold air induction.
    Sound: Pioneer 7400 HU & 6x9's,12" Vibe Sub,600W Kenwood amp.
    CarPC: MicroATX, Inverter, WinTV, Lilliput 7", USB GPS
    http://www.no1knows.com/galleries/

    Comment


    • #3
      I think he means OFFICE XP, not Windows (the computers probably come with Windows preloaded). Like said above, running a server with Windows Server and then getting office and all the client licenses will probably cost you more than 4 individual licenses of Office XP Pro. If you don't need all the programs in Office (ie. most people only use Word and maybe Excel) then you can try to buy just the programs you need instead of the Office suite (but I'm not even 100% sure if MS even sells the programs individually). Or you can always try an alternative to Microsoft...

      Comment


      • #4
        as long as you dont need to do any thing graphics intensive/multimedia based you could get thin terminal clients (try www.ncd.com or www.neoware.com) and conect back to a termninal server (2000 server or later have this included) you will still need to by a licence per conection, but you will save on hardware costs.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bobby Digital
          I think he means OFFICE XP, not Windows (the computers probably come with Windows preloaded). Like said above, running a server with Windows Server and then getting office and all the client licenses will probably cost you more than 4 individual licenses of Office XP Pro. If you don't need all the programs in Office (ie. most people only use Word and maybe Excel) then you can try to buy just the programs you need instead of the Office suite (but I'm not even 100% sure if MS even sells the programs individually). Or you can always try an alternative to Microsoft...
          Thanks I did mean office, but I need word access and excel but unfortunately it only comes in office xp pro and not standard. Thanks for the feed back. I just dont like the fact that the software cost will be greater than the hardware.
          Can I use the server for someones computer at there desk?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Its Lo
            Can I use the server for someones computer at there desk?
            technicaly yes, you could log in to the server and open access/word/what ever and it would run fine. however if the person working on the server managed to crash it then every one else would loose their work as well.

            Comment


            • #7
              i thought sun microsystems has a free office suite, but i guess its for linux only

              Comment


              • #8
                Office app

                Originally posted by Hcomplyr
                i thought sun microsystems has a free office suite, but i guess its for linux only
                OpenOffice (a project based on Sun Star Office) has a windows port here.

                http://download.openoffice.org/1.1.1/index.html

                I use and recommend.

                Comment

                Working...
                X