XMPC-CAR source code now available!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XMPC-CAR source code now available!

This is just a quick note to anyone who is working on a Visual Basic project (of which there are many) --

I wanted to let everyone know that I have released the VB Sources for my XMPC-CAR radio application under a BSD license. I have decided to switch from Windows to Linux for my car pc, and since Im never going to finish the Windows software, Im giving it out. I was originally going to release it under the GPL, but that would cause problems for other projects that wanted to implement the code without having to release their own sources also. Since the feature is so often requested, I thought Id use a license that would be compatible with the existing projects.

It should be fairly easy to implement into any project as it's simply one form and a couple modules. There are no external dependencies, DLL's or OCX's, though you do need to use the MsCommCtl..

If you use it, I simply ask that you respect the terms of the license. Id also ask you to consider releasing any improvements or enhancements you make to the codebase back as open source, though you are under no obligation to do this.

You can find the information on the release in the original XMPC-CAR thread My code is pretty sloppy but I was forced to work in the confines of VB, which I tend to dislike a lot.

Share and Enjoy!
    MY CAR IS FOR SALE!
    See My Project Page for Details - 2003 BMW E46 ///M3
    Custom Dash Monitor Housing - OEM Fitment
    Custom Overhead DVD-ROM Housing in Headliner
    BMW I-Bus Integration
    My homepage with many other fun projects!

Question - with the XM PCR, does the audio get sent via USB to the PC or is just the control of the XM PCR done via USB ie: is there a need to invest in the toslink upgrade for digital sound? This would be using the XM PCR connected to the Car PC whose soundcard is sent to audio amps. Or is the XM PCR's analog audio the only audio path out with the standard XM PCR?

Comment

Thanks Gork, we all appreciate this a lot.
      [H]4 Life
      My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
      It will be done sometime in the next generation.
      I'm a lesbian too.
      I am for hire!

Comment

DavidL:

The USB interface is only for a serial/usb converter chip. The computer communicates with the XMPCR over what is essentially a 9600 baud serial link. The audio comes out of the XMPCR as analog stereo or Toslink optical if you perform the upgrade. The digital audio sounds a *lot* better and is a worthwhile upgrade. If you want the best sound, get the toslink upgrade and feed that into your soundcard and set the mixer to play it back out the speakers... unless of course you get some nifty amp with optical digital inputs

frodo: no problem, man. Sorry I could not get it done earlier. Hope you find it useful.
        MY CAR IS FOR SALE!
        See My Project Page for Details - 2003 BMW E46 ///M3
        Custom Dash Monitor Housing - OEM Fitment
        Custom Overhead DVD-ROM Housing in Headliner
        BMW I-Bus Integration
        My homepage with many other fun projects!

Comment

Gork,
          Thanx. That answers it. suprised it wasn't easier to find that out looking at the XM product descriptions.

Comment

hey if you are switching to linux you should join us in the xcar project.
            '98 Explorer Sport
            http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
            AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
            80% done

Comment

Thanks Gork,
              My buddy here at work resized it for me and moved stuff around a little. He's going to make your buttons repeat if held and change the font size for me later. Thanks very much for making this available.
              Peter
              Stop Buying New Music CD's.
              Hit The RIAA where it lives.

Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

Comment

Working...
              X