The Os and The Car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Os and The Car

For those who prefer not to read a ****load of words go to the bottom I summed it up for you.

The Os and The Car

While surfing I have come to a realization. A Realization that we as a whole can do many things. One of these many things is our own Os. Those of you that code read this and say bull****. But hear me out. We as a collective have everything needed for a great Os we have very skilled coders, very talented skinners, and most of all we have ****loads of alpha testers. Within our reach is the dawn of a new tomorrow. A tomorrow where noobs will be blessed with the grain of knowledge needed to operate their machines and the old skoolers have their pride that they had a hand in its creation.

In This Corner

Iím not knocking either MC or ME. I think both software is bad *** and completely awesome in its own rights. If we combine both efforts to one single project then we would have one of the most stable, brilliant and most important BadAss Os on the block.

Nuts and Bolts

Some end users are more than likely saying but I donít know jack about Linux. So? Old Dogs Learn New Tricks Everyday. I know this I have seen it. We can write our own MAN files to help out new users as well as tuts. So it shouldnít be that bad on a conversion aspect.

We have all the resources needed to do this. Most of the code is out there. Itís just a question of finding and editing it and if it isnít there then we can build it.

Think about it. Our own stable Os with only what we need and able to expand to future needs. The foundation has already been layed for us we just have to build it.

Stop Scrolling Here

Itís only a matter of time before this happens, so letís be the first to do it. Letís set the standard for the rest to go by. Itís only right that we build our own stable, strong OS. We started this hobby itís only right that we do this. But only by combining our efforts we can. So letís band our keyboards together and construct this fortress. Help build the future.
    Originally posted by menudude
    thank you all for your help minus the useless post by sjlucky...

There already is one. It's called Linux.

Comment

I think he's talking about making a distribution that uses the linux kernel.

That is a pretty good idea, there is already a lot of good software you could package up to make a distribution for a carputer. That's as far as I'll go because I'm still confused on the point of the post.

Comment

Back on the bottle again Sj ?

[H]4 Life
        My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
        It will be done sometime in the next generation.
        I'm a lesbian too.
        I am for hire!

Comment

Originally posted by frodobaggins

LOL

No, but really this would be a really good idea. That way when people have problems with a specific aspect, many morepeople cancontribute, etc..

Peace,

Rafster
          Post # 3000

Comment

i have already made a custom linux distro for my old python app. Once we release xcar I will suit it to that. It installs at around 400 megs and booted on my amd 800 in around 20 seconds.

hopefully xcar gets off the ground... if it does i'm using 2.6 and i think i can get the boot time down to 15ish
            '98 Explorer Sport
            http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
            AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
            80% done

Comment

Kernel 2.6.X incl. ALSA, Wifi and BlueTooth support as modules plus BusyBox, uClibc and DirectFB would be wise choice by my opinion. Freepia is something we should look at, it fits on 64 MB CF even using bash and X11.

Comment

I'd love to use Linux on my carputer, but the one reason I don't, which has been discussed numerous times before, is that there's no worth GPS navigation software available, and I don't want to run WINE for that!

GingerPrince

Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
                CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

Comment

Originally posted by SjLucky
                  Stop Scrolling Here

Itís only a matter of time before this happens, so letís be the first to do it. Letís set the standard for the rest to go by. Itís only right that we build our own stable, strong OS. We started this hobby itís only right that we do this. But only by combining our efforts we can. So letís band our keyboards together and construct this fortress. Help build the future.
                  Easy solution:
                  Use Linux mount the drives read-only and boot from flash memory. Boot up time will be < 5 seconds and no need for cheesy shutdown controllers since there is no chance of drive damage (no writing will occur). GPS software is not the best granted- so contribute to existing open source navigation software instead of trying to re-invent the wheel.

Comment

I'd Switch over. but not to be as far as I am now and then leap back into OS testing. I would want something stable before i switched.

Cheers
                    -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Originally posted by hijinks21
                      i have already made a custom linux distro for my old python app. Once we release xcar I will suit it to that. It installs at around 400 megs and booted on my amd 800 in around 20 seconds.

hopefully xcar gets off the ground... if it does i'm using 2.6 and i think i can get the boot time down to 15ish

I made a custom distro for my car (when I still had it installed) and had it booting in around 20 seconds. When I put 2.6 on this distro the boot dropped by 6 seconds. and as for the GPS problem I am trying to add features to roadmap and it seems very promising. Linux is for every one, they just don't realize it yet
                      This post college life is a real drag

Comment

Originally posted by mespork
                        I made a custom distro for my car (when I still had it installed) and had it booting in around 20 seconds. When I put 2.6 on this distro the boot dropped by 6 seconds. and as for the GPS problem I am trying to add features to roadmap and it seems very promising. Linux is for every one, they just don't realize it yet

very nice.. hopefully if xcar gets off the ground all us linux people can get together and make a killer setup for everyong to realize it.
                        '98 Explorer Sport
                        http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
                        AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
                        80% done

Comment

Originally posted by frodobaggins

Did I ever stop?
                          Perhaps there was a 15 minute time period I did but oh well.

My whole deal with the Os is we have alot of talented people here and if we just combine everyone's skill together we could have a killer install. Plus it would be a smaller footprint on drive space so people could use cf or just a smaller cheaper drive. Our group as a whole will increase because people would have set install that will pretty much be a install-n-play setup. Granted there are alot of problems with linux like gps and sat radio. But we can over come that.
                          Originally posted by menudude
                          thank you all for your help minus the useless post by sjlucky...

Comment

Everyone out there is sceptic. And I am not suprised. But I believe once someone does first step, the others will do the flow. And I also believe (keep the fingers crossed) XCar will be such first step.

Comment

Small footprint, Stable, strong, Linux is the answer yes, who is currently making advancements in GPS with the linux OS?

Comment

Working...
                              X