Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iTunes SDK

Hi,
    Apple released the iTunes SDK. The object seems to include built in support for the library so you get database support for free. How soon before there is a front end using iTunes?

WTH is iTune?
    -Mars

Comment

iTunes is apple's media player... it's a bit better than win media player and winamp, audio sounds better, and it's got it's own very nice compression but thats about it.

Comment

I tried it and thought it sucked pretty badly. The interface is really dumbed down, the media library wiped a bunch of my folders and it cant play half the formats that winamp can. If you like Apple computers, and have a hard time working programs like winamp then iTunes is for you.

Also, like all other programs from apple, it assumes you want to run it and take the whole of your screen, but actually make very poor use of the real-estate. I couldnt tell the difference between it and winamp in audio quality at home on my hifi system, so in the car theres no chance of being able to tell the difference.

If you use iTunes to download music then you have to use iTunes to play them. It (iTunes) has a nasty habit of going off and reformatting your music library to AAC format while you're not looking. Maybe they fixed that since I abandoned it.

So, in summary, IMHO its a maximized version of a dumbed down winamp. For those that cant work more than one mouse button they'll probably be happier with iTunes...
        .//Daren
        (Epia M10000/C134) (C137/MII 10000) Liliput /Opus 150W/DVD/512MB/80GB/Hummer H1
        MediaCar/CoPilot7/Routis

Comment

... and Windows Media player is fine provided you are ok with MSFT taking over your desktop and turning it into a billboard for the highest bidder. Then there is there reporting, for your convenience they upload the DVD's you watch so they more accurately target you with ads. Isnt that just peachy of them. Of course its anonymous, they dont know you are you (we have MSFT's word for this), but they do know that whomever you are, if you like T2, then there's a good chance you'd like T3 and so they will make sure their ad server responds appropiately.

WMP is fine, just unplug the network cable first...
          .//Daren
          MediaCar/CoPilot7/Routis

Comment

It also has very good library management features. The power of iTunes is in the library and now this could be used by any program with the SDK. No need to worry about a slow, hard to manage database. Just use the iTunes db and you get not only fast access to the music but also very good synchronization, importing new files directly into the library (no need to regenerate the db) and support for more types of files (including IDs not just playback).

Originally posted by PCF_Ronin
            iTunes is apple's media player... it's a bit better than win media player and winamp, audio sounds better, and it's got it's own very nice compression but thats about it.

Comment

Itunes exposes the 'database' - which is an XML file, via a standard DOM, so you can enumerate from any point in the tree. This is actually trivial to write, especially in c#, which can expose an explorer folder in much the same way. iTunes takes forever to build its database because it actually reads a sample of the track and calculates its volume levels so it can normalize on playback.

Reading a set of directories, looking up the meta data (ID3 tags in MP3) and writing out an XML file isnt a lot of code.

Given the XML you could actually write a lot of the interface using a web control with simple XSL and let the app do the XSLT.
              .//Daren
              MediaCar/CoPilot7/Routis

Comment

Originally posted by mobileh1
                Also, like all other programs from apple, it assumes you want to run it and take the whole of your screen, but actually make very poor use of the real-estate.
                well that settles it... the company who pretty much brought us a "windowed" gui cannot seem to make a application that can be resized.

seriously get the facts straight before you make such outrageous statements, it makes the rest of your observations worthless.

Comment

Have you used iTunes? Have a look at:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Then, tell me it makes good used of screen real-estate, compared say, to WinAmp, which does the same in about 1/10 of the same space.

Have you used a Mac? How many menu bars are there? Ummmmm, let me see, 1 right? So how many applications windowed can you use at the same time....ummmmm 1 right? Am I missing somethig here or is there a single menu bar? You can run as many apps as you want, but only use one at a time.

Apple say this is better because running everything maximized is less confusing for people. Then again, this is the company that also thought we couldn't work more than one mouse button

If you use the Windows version of iTunes you can resize the window, but then you wouldnt be able to see all those lovely ads they show you...
                  .//Daren
                  MediaCar/CoPilot7/Routis

Comment

ads? ITUNES ads or your spyware (i don't know which you are reffering to, spyware courtesy of windows, or mac ads in itunes) I run iTUNES on my windows box (get no ads i might say), as well as on my mac (again, no ads). You can run a two button mouse with mac OS, but why have 2 when one is all you need? At least for the mac, itunes compresses into a handy little box that takes up less space than winamp (winamp min. controls and min plst.). And, at least for normal use (ie. not programming, because I don't know from a coders standpoint), the database system kicks winamp straight in the crotch. It might be dumbed down, but why use something more complex when it gets the job done easy?
                    My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
                    2 Kicker Comp 10"
                    Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
                    Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
                    Check it out?!

Comment

Mobileh1 doesn't know what is talking about about. Have seen everything iTunes does, how it interacts with an iPod? I don't even know where to start, from intelligent playlists to lossless encoding iTunes does all.

This is an example of an intelligent playlist that's updated automatically: Songs from 1995, alternative, encoded in Apple lossless and that haven't been heard in the last 2 months.

That is the level of flexibility of iTunes. And there is so much more, Audible support for iPods and handhelds, music sharing..etc

Have you used a Mac? How many menu bars are there? Ummmmm, let me see, 1 right? So how many applications windowed can you use at the same time....ummmmm 1 right? Am I missing somethig here or is there a single menu bar? You can run as many apps as you want, but only use one at a time.
                      Have you used a Mac?..I can have as many programs and windows open concurrently and at the press of the button all windows of all programs tile up as LIVE windows that I can observe...An RSS feed there, IRC chat over there, a game..all updating live. Its called expose and it doesn't exist for windows.

I'd be the first one to jump on an iTunes based fron end..

Cheers,

Comment

How about to beat each other ?
                        Let's see who's car is bigger. ummm. Hummer wins !
                        ( _very_ funny )
                        Car pc integration with ease
                        Car mediacenter

Comment

As much as I like a good windows/apple fight (not really) that wasn't the point. I wasn't even promoting the use of iTunes it self. What I was promoting is the SDK. The front end would be what ever VB/C# (or anything else). The use of the SDK can help utilize the library features that is usually the hardest to do right.

Comment

Ah, the Cult of Jobs and Woz is strong...

Izik, I dont know for sure, but my understanding was that the SDK was for plugin developers that want to write visualizations. I would be suprised if Apple were to provide the tools necessary to write a new front end. iTunes is a tool designed to sell iPods & music, everything else is secondary to that goal.

What I am hearing on these forums is that people are dissatisfied with the speed MediaCar reads the ID3 tags, and dont like the overhead of using a database in MediaEngine.

Both of these problems can be solved, possibly an SDK from Apple, if it exposes these features would be one possibility. It would also, presumably, allow the music that has been purchased to be played in the car. Right now, you *have * to use iTunes (or the iPod) to play music you buy from their site (unless you burn/rip as mp3). To me that would be the biggest benefit of using an Apple SDK, if you use their iTunes store.

Lets leave the personal differences aside. Some people like Apple, some dont, so people hate XP, some dont, some people like KDE, others Gnome. We can all live together. I have sat in on Apple focus groups and watched users use programs I have written and have been amazed at how users vary in ability and preferences, so what I have learned over the last 20 years in software is that there is no right and wrong.

...Woz has an H1 (Hummer), a rather nice baby blue model, and yes, he does have an ipod in it
                            .//Daren
                            MediaCar/CoPilot7/Routis

Comment

This is some code from one of the examples. I think the object has full control:

var iTunesApp = WScript.CreateObject("iTunes.Application");
                              var mainLibrary = iTunesApp.LibraryPlaylist;
                              var mainLibrarySource = iTunesApp.LibrarySource;
                              var tracks = mainLibrary.Tracks;
                              var numTracks = tracks.Count;
                              var numPlaylistsCreated = 0;
                              var i;

// first, make an array indexed by album name
                              var albumArray = new Array();

for (i = 1; i <= numTracks; i++)
                              {
                              var currTrack = tracks.Item(i);
                              var album = currTrack.Album;

if ((album != undefined) && (album != ""))
                              {
                              if (albumArray[album] == undefined)
                              {
                              if (verbose)
                              WScript.Echo("Adding album " + album);
                              albumArray[album] = new Array();
                              }

// add the track to the entry for this album
                              albumArray[album].push(currTrack);
                              }
                              }

Comment