Flash/Macromedia Shockwave

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash/Macromedia Shockwave

Has anyone come across a flash/shockwave frontend? It seems like this would be an easy way to go about making a nice interface. It would just use WMP to play video and whatnot and can load up your gps software etc.

I haven't used either in a long time but i believe its possible..

there was one that was started years ago and used vb6 i think. It looked pretty good... i'll look for the post.. i doubt the site is even up
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

Comment

here is the thread

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ighlight=flash
      '98 Explorer Sport
      http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
      AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
      80% done

Comment

I experimented with flash for a frontend too.. The channel of communication between the flash object and the rest of the app is pretty limited, so you end up implementing half of the logic in flash and half in the app with all kinds of crazy glue on both sides to deal with things. It works and it looks nice but it's a real pain to write. I abandoned the effort long ago.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...hlight=preview

If anyone's interested in the code and corresponding SWF, I'd be happy to try to dig it up.

Shockwave would be a slightly better environment because you could do the whole thing in shockwave....
        MY CAR IS FOR SALE!
        See My Project Page for Details - 2003 BMW E46 ///M3
        Custom Dash Monitor Housing - OEM Fitment
        Custom Overhead DVD-ROM Housing in Headliner
        BMW I-Bus Integration
        My homepage with many other fun projects!

Comment

Originally posted by gork
          Shockwave would be a slightly better environment because you could do the whole thing in shockwave....
          could you explain that to me?
          I know very little about shockwave and flash.
          Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
          Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
          I'M DEBT FREE!!
          I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
            could you explain that to me?
            I know very little about shockwave and flash.
            Shockwave lets you program Xtras, which are basically arbitrary bits of real C/C++ (maybe even VB??) code. Flash doesn't (or at least didn't back when I was doing shockwave stuff).

For Flash, you have a very limited communcations pathway between the flash movie and the host application. Shockwave doesn't have that same issue.

Twostep

Comment

I'm doing an app now that has Flash front-end and VB back-end. As everyone has said, the communications pathway is a little limited but it does go both ways. I'm using Flash just for the interface, so I have all of the flash buttons calling VB functions. Once you have the buttons hooked up to the right functions, it's not much different because all the logic stays in VB. All you need to do then is tell Flash if/when to go to a different place in the timeline.

Comment

Check out CruiseControl software posted on cinemaronline.com's forum. Close to public availability.

You could also use their MainLobby suite which has more functionality and you can design scenes according to your CarPC needs. this is what I am doing now for both home and car.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidL
                  Check out CruiseControl software posted on cinemaronline.com's forum. Close to public availability.

You could also use their MainLobby suite which has more functionality and you can design scenes according to your CarPC needs. this is what I am doing now for both home and car.
                  I was not able to find any info on any CruiseControl software at that site, but then again it is most likely right in front of my face and I am not seeing it .. Their software packages could be usful if you did not have to sell off body parts to be able to afford them.

Scorp

Comment

Working...
                  X