Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I presume you've seen this...

http://www.dme.org/log/2004/06/16/project-icece

"When looking into how to build the system I was struck at how most people use low-end PC systems. These are, of course, not really much more than toy computers and I wanted something a little more stable and reliable. Given the continuing march of technology and the need to replace everything every four years or so I was lucky to pick up an E450. This is an ideal machine:

* multiple processors to ensure that mp3 decode is not interrupted by other process activity,
    * good internal storage capacity, including the ability to take advantage of software RAID for reliability,
    * large memory for good caching of tunes being played,
    * easily expandable to allow for future projects,
    * excellent support for Solaris 10, so that I can test bug-fixes, etc. while on the road if necessary. This also means that there is wide application availability (Oracle, great Java tools, etc.)...
    "
    .//Daren
    (Epia M10000/C134) (C137/MII 10000) Liliput /Opus 150W/DVD/512MB/80GB/Hummer H1
    MediaCar/CoPilot7/Routis

yup
    -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Yea and it's been slashdotted
      My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
      2 Kicker Comp 10"
      Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
      Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
      Check it out?!

Comment

from the heart of my bottom, i feel that guy's a dolt. It's cool to have a fast computer in the car, but there's nothing wrong with the 'toy computers' that 'struck' him. Don't get me wrong, SMPs are great (i'm on one right now), but it's not necessary "to ensure that mp3 decode is not interrupted by other process activity" . Beyond that, he alluded to there being greater difference between his hardware and the run of the mill PC... Raid this, memmory that, expandability shmandability.
        car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

i have just been informed it was a joke. Well paint me gray and call me ginger.
          car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

Originally posted by robiewp
            i have just been informed it was a joke. Well paint me gray and call me ginger.
            - hi ginger *wave

Comment

yooo ginger
              '01 4runner ░ P3 866 ░ 128mb ░ 20gb HD ░ Radeon 9200SE PCI ░ SB PCI ░ Slim DVD/CD-RW ░ USB GPS ░ 7" Lilli vga TS ░ XP Pro ░ MC ░ Routis '04
              ForemostWebHosting
              SpeedGuyParts.com

Comment

Working...
              X