Carputer OS...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carputer OS...

I was just wondering if anyone ever thought about makeing a small carputer os instead of useing a program inside of windows. I know nothing about programing but I think it would be cool if someone did this. Is this even possible? It would be great if the boot time would be like 1 or 2 seconds (since it wouldn't have to load big bulky windows).

Originally posted by Animepix
    It would be great if the boot time would be like 1 or 2 seconds (since it wouldn't have to load big bulky windows).
    Wouldn't that be awesome, boot time of 1-2 seconds.
    But I doubt it will happen.
    Installed
    Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
    512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
    Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
    [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Yeah, maby its just wishful thinking. I'd imagin it would take a long time to even write a small os. Maby i'll take some time and learn how to write code. Yeah right.

Comment

Nor would it boot in 1-2 seconds...It would still have to load all the device drivers, GUI, etc...and without the familiar Windows API the software developers of software like FrodoPlayer, MC, ME, etc etc would have to totally rewrite their software and would probably have no clue how to do it with a new GUI API.
        CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

Look at the Linbios project. They are replacing the mainboard bios with a custom linux kernel to get the 1-2 second boot time.

Comment

aka, your dicked
            My Mazda 3s

My Mazda 3s on Car Domain

[||||||||||||||||||--] (90%)

Comment

I have a boot time of about 3 or 4 seconds, after my motherboard post of 20 seconds. :-|
              I'm running a cut down DOS 6.2 and my own player loads a precompiled binary playlist with all the id3 tags compiled in (no lengthy searching).
              That's about as good as I can manage atm.
              Old Systems retired due to new car
              New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Originally posted by vcbb5
                aka, your dicked
                Thanks for crushing my dreams. There goes my chance to learn programing.

Comment

sorry dude, someone had to do it
                  My Mazda 3s

Comment

Dreams are made to be crushed.
                    Installed
                    Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
                    512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
                    Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
                    [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Animepix

Go for it, learn programming, even if you don't get a car OS running, which is an ambitious first programming project, you'll have fun and have more skills at the end of it.

If you really want to build something new, then rather than building an OS which is kinda lot of work, start out making your own distro of linux, paired down to the smallest you can get it, put it on a CF or other non-volatile storage mechanism and you will get some amazing boot times.

Alternatively, get a radio remote and an Opus PSU, then you can be walking to the car, have it get booting while you faff around getting in and belting up. By the time you have your **** together, the computer will be running.

If you are going to learn programming, start out with something like c# or java, they have fabulous IDE's (VisStdio2005 & Eclipse3) and from a language point of view are much more advanced than VB. Hope I didnt just start a flame war. VB is great for getting things like car projects working quickly though, but it wont teach you structured OO programming.
                      .//Daren
                      (Epia M10000/C134) (C137/MII 10000) Liliput /Opus 150W/DVD/512MB/80GB/Hummer H1
                      MediaCar/CoPilot7/Routis

Comment

a specialized version of linux would probably be best, but there is no good software
                        My Mazda 3s

Comment

I'll say again, Linux is the answer. I started out learning linux and within a couple months had it booting from a 128m Cf and playing music.
                          There is plenty of software already available, Lirc and irmp3 are two popular projects I'm using.

Comment

2 months boot time?

I'll stick with XP thank you very much...

Audi S8 supercar
                            Modded Xbox 400GB HD
                            Rear 7" screen & navplus

Toyota Hiace Van
                            Shuttle PIII 866 256Mb 10GB OPUS powered
                            MediaCar & Mappoint 2004
                            Custom fit 7" TFT VGA TSK

Comment

lol.. If you were learning programming, creating a new operating system would be the absolute last thing you would want to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X