Linux Users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Users

Since I'll be loading linux on my carputer I was wondering what other peoples experiences were? What software is good/bad?

mb comes in today and I'm loading gentoo on it asap, then from there I'll just configure everything until I can afford the extra hw.

for "linux" on this forum and you'll find a lot of useful threads.

However, I would stick with Windows until linux carputer frontend software catches up (see thexcar.com and dashpc.com). But other than the frontend interface, there really is nothing that you can't do in Linux that you can do in Windows with regard to CarPC functionality. This includes support for mp3s, DVD, DivX, Radio, XM, and GPS (using Wine). I use xine for most of this stuff since it supports almost all audio and video formats as well as DVD menus.
    1994 RX-7, EPIA P4-ITX w/ Celeron 2.4 Ghz, Arise PSU, Xenarc 700TSV (new model)

Comment

My project Contrast Mediaplayer is written using OpenGL for the interface, and is 100% linux compatible. The first beta will probably be windows only, but beta 2 will support atleast linux and windows, and posibly mac in the following betas.

Beta1 should be out within the next week or so.
      Philip Plante
      my projects:
      idgn.org | idgnonline.net | contrastsolutions.net

Comment

linux is good

while my carpc uses a 20x4 alphanumeric lcd screen, and a joypad, i think linux is the way to go. So much free software, so much easyer to program in, so many librarys to choose from. Obviously this adive is only relevant if you know c etc.... I am concerned about how fast i can get it to boot, but i am optimistic that it will be faster than anything i can do with windows. Also, ill be booting to a ram disk, so no worries with data corruption on the hdd
        stupid quote # 1 : "i dont do drugs , i only ever smoke pot when i'm coming down" , Me , 6 september , 2001.

Comment

check out www.linuxbios.org to see if your motherboard can load their linux bios. if it can you can get your boot time down to like 3-5 seconds with some optimizations of the boot process.
          Philip Plante
          my projects:
          idgn.org | idgnonline.net | contrastsolutions.net

Comment

that would be rad, but i doubt my old 500 mhz cellery laptop would fit the bill. I already have it down to 30 seconds from after post without doing anything
            stupid quote # 1 : "i dont do drugs , i only ever smoke pot when i'm coming down" , Me , 6 september , 2001.

Comment

Working...
            X