FYI Linux Powered parking...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI Linux Powered parking...

"A really cool project using a Linux P4 machine for automatic parking of a Volvo S60 was presented last week. Take a look at the video. That's how your parking problem should be solved. It is a final-year student project within the mechanical engineering department at Linköping University, Sweden."

Video: http://www.ikp.liu.se/evolve/2004/fi..._no_driver.wmv
    Link: http://www.ikp.liu.se/evolve

From slashdot...
    .//Daren
    (Epia M10000/C134) (C137/MII 10000) Liliput /Opus 150W/DVD/512MB/80GB/Hummer H1
    MediaCar/CoPilot7/Routis

A) Thats dangerous, with little kids running around everywhere these days. Also what about various other obstacles that can arise?
    B) Any moron can park into that space, I want to see that car maneuver itself into a NYC parking spot.
    C) The cost of a unit like that would be ridiculous, especially if you consider how useless it is.

And on the final note, even though the idea is cool, if the guy is so smart he should have entered into DARPA Challenge, instead of making parking "easier"
    Never be afraid to do something yourself. Remember - amateur built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

woah.. chill.. it was just a school project.. the computer didn't start with the p4.. its interesting.. and not everyone can park a car into that space.. i've seen a lot of idiots try to park.. with everything if he gets investment money it'll get better and be able to adjust
      '98 Explorer Sport
      http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
      AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
      80% done

Comment

This is just a stepping stone to create automated cars... Imagine a world where u are no longer a driver but just a passenger...

Comment

Originally posted by arkadiyp
          A) Thats dangerous, with little kids running around everywhere these days. Also what about various other obstacles that can arise?
          B) Any moron can park into that space, I want to see that car maneuver itself into a NYC parking spot.
          C) The cost of a unit like that would be ridiculous, especially if you consider how useless it is.

And on the final note, even though the idea is cool, if the guy is so smart he should have entered into DARPA Challenge, instead of making parking "easier"
          "But what if the car would tell you that it has found a suitable space and then let you reverse and not bother about steering?" "In normal usage, though, the driver stays in the car" i guess this video is just a demonstration. Remember this is a uni project its not a company advertising a product so be nice
          Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Originally posted by nl4jy
            This is just a stepping stone to create automated cars... Imagine a world where u are no longer a driver but just a passenger...
            Yeah its called taxi, car service, limo whatever you want to call it. Some people drive because they like to drive, not because they have to.

And I am nice, DAMIT I had 8 hours of sleep total over the past 6 days. Under the circumstances this is as nice as a sleep deprived new yorker gets
            Never be afraid to do something yourself. Remember - amateur built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

lol...maybe I should say...imagine a world where there is no such thing as a driver... ^_^

or imagine a world where there would be no more car accident because of reckless drivers would not exist if the car drive, and park itself.. ^_^

Comment

Or imagine.....
                a world where everyone is a pleasant New Yorker

Comment

Yeah its called taxi, car service, limo whatever you want to call it. Some people drive because they like to drive, not because they have to.

And I am nice, DAMIT I had 8 hours of sleep total over the past 6 days. Under the circumstances this is as nice as a sleep deprived new yorker gets
                  Technophobia?

Comment

Originally posted by heypachuco
                    Or imagine.....
                    a world where everyone is a pleasant New Yorker
                    this coming from someone currently in NJ I'm upstate.. we are all nice rednecks up here
                    '98 Explorer Sport
                    80% done

Comment

What about the other traffic that cannot interact with the computer?
                      2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

Originally posted by eCar™
                        Technophobia?
                        So if I choose an old american muscle car over a new vetter is that technophobia also? I love driving, and I don't see how its a good thing that the car will drive me.

"or imagine a world where there would be no more car accident because of reckless drivers would not exist if the car drive, and park itself.. ^_^"

Oh yeah I will trust a windows powered computer with my life, HA. I would rather get killed because I made a judgement error, than because a computer encountered a glich.

Eventually this level of computer involvement in our lives will happen, but I will fight for my right to drive, and drive a 0mpg city, .5 mpg highway car with gazillion horsepower, and not a freaking prius with half a horse, donuts for wheels and interior made of recycled toilet paper.

Comment

Oh yeah I will trust a windows powered computer with my life, HA.
                          its linux.. no need to worry
                          '98 Explorer Sport
                          80% done

Comment

Originally posted by hijinks21
                            this coming from someone currently in NJ I'm upstate.. we are all nice rednecks up here
                            Yeah, I love it upstate. Just got back from a fishing trip. The further away from NYC the nicer it gets

Comment

North, South, East, West. Any where, any place is better then NYC. Lived here for 44 years and I hate it more than anybody can hate NYC.. Just my 2 cents

Comment

Working...
                              X