Where and whay is needed to start..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where and whay is needed to start..

Im curious as to what a person needs to start learning Visual Basic. It seems thats the language of choice that people are using for carpcs. Can someone tell me where to go to get resources to start my own software and what i need to program it. Im lost as to where to begin. I would like to say i am fully satisfied with whats out but i am not. It seems that each one has good features but each one lacks features the other has. Frodo in my opinion has the best one going. But it lacks a video section to play mpeg/avi ect aswell as an embedded section to add all his hice little addons liek frodocam/frodopictures. Both of which are nice but seperate from the actuall application. Mediacar does not have a database but does have an ebmbedded section which is not bad for applications that frodo makes. So im intersted to try to make one that suits what i want specifically. Someone please help.

Thanks in advance........

Originally posted by SIX
    Im curious as to what a person needs to start learning Visual Basic. It seems thats the language of choice that people are using for carpcs. Can someone tell me where to go to get resources to start my own software and what i need to program it. Im lost as to where to begin. I would like to say i am fully satisfied with whats out but i am not. It seems that each one has good features but each one lacks features the other has. Frodo in my opinion has the best one going. But it lacks a video section to play mpeg/avi ect aswell as an embedded section to add all his hice little addons liek frodocam/frodopictures. Both of which are nice but seperate from the actuall application. Mediacar does not have a database but does have an ebmbedded section which is not bad for applications that frodo makes. So im intersted to try to make one that suits what i want specifically. Someone please help.

Thanks in advance........

Get vb6 and play about with it till you get better and better thats how most guys here do it, you will need experience to make ca ar pc app though unless your one fast learner, Good luck
    Co Develper of A.I.M.E.E Automotive Intelligent Multimedia Entertainment Engine
    www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by SIX
      Frodo in my opinion has the best one going. But it lacks a video section to play mpeg/avi ect...
      FrodoPlayer plays videos on the main screen and dvd's as well. What are you talking about ?

As far as your question is concerned, get a good reference book and search the web for tutorials. I can point you to some links later.
      [H]4 Life
      My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
      It will be done sometime in the next generation.
      I'm a lesbian too.
      I am for hire!

Comment

in regards to replies

Thanks for the tip on the software needed. I suppose i just need books on the program and how to start VB. Any recourses?

Frodo yes it plays video on the main screen but its a small screen. Unless you can make that bigger and i dont know about it. The one mediacar has allows you to change screen sizes and is on a seperate screen. Im not knocking yor stuff man. I did say its the best one i have seen. Just a few thigns i would add if i knew how .

Comment

Originally posted by SIX
          Thanks for the tip on the software needed. I suppose i just need books on the program and how to start VB. Any recourses?

Frodo yes it plays video on the main screen but its a small screen. Unless you can make that bigger and i dont know about it. The one mediacar has allows you to change screen sizes and is on a seperate screen. Im not knocking yor stuff man. I did say its the best one i have seen. Just a few thigns i would add if i knew how .
          If you double-click it it goes full screen. The next version will be a little beefier.
          I didn't think you were knocking, just thought you were ill-informed

Frodo

PS: I'll post some links for you later.
          [H]4 Life
          I'm a lesbian too.
          I am for hire!

Comment

My bad

Terribly sorry. Just played around with the screen and did not realize on double click id goes full screen. Nice feature. maybe ther eis more to this frodoplayer i have missed. Can i change the size of it to a full screen app?

Comment

Originally posted by SIX
              Terribly sorry. Just played around with the screen and did not realize on double click id goes full screen. Nice feature. maybe ther eis more to this frodoplayer i have missed. Can i change the size of it to a full screen app?
              If you want fullscreen:
              Yes. Go into settings and uncheck use advanced screen settings.

If you want exact control:
              If you want to have exact control over size and postition, leave it checked
              and edit the position and size under [ADVANCED] in frodoplayer.ini

Frodo
              [H]4 Life
              I'm a lesbian too.
              I am for hire!

Comment

Education?

Did you go to school for this Froto? I consider my self a quick learner if given the resources to do so. Just curious how you go t started? Books/school?

Comment

Originally posted by SIX
                  Did you go to school for this Froto? I consider my self a quick learner if given the resources to do so. Just curious how you go t started? Books/school?
                  I've had a few programming classes but nothing on the level I code now.
                  Mostly all they did was get me interested. I've programmed a teeny bit off
                  and on for years, but I didn't start to really get into it and learn until about
                  a year ago.

If you have the bug and can stand aggravation, then you are as good
                  as gold once you learn concepts, the rest is just syntax

Frodo
                  [H]4 Life
                  I'm a lesbian too.
                  I am for hire!

Comment

Confirming needs

I am hooked on the learning. I know php quite well and i have done some scirpting for mirc. Not sure if that will help at all. I just need someplace to go to get me going. I doubt playing with a program like vb6 teach me what i need to know. Please be a guide in the right direction. Is VB6 the name of the program? or is it Visual Studio 6? And any website you can think of or books that oyu knwo fo that are good for me to start with. SOmthgin with some sample starting code or somthing?

Comment

Originally posted by SIX
                      I am hooked on the learning. I know php quite well and i have done some scirpting for mirc. Not sure if that will help at all. I just need someplace to go to get me going. I doubt playing with a program like vb6 teach me what i need to know. Please be a guide in the right direction. Is VB6 the name of the program? or is it Visual Studio 6? And any website you can think of or books that oyu knwo fo that are good for me to start with. SOmthgin with some sample starting code or somthing?
                      VS6, but I do believe VB6 comes standalone as well.
                      I don't have time right now to dig up my links, but I will
                      sometime today.

BTW, don't just limit yourself to one language because someone
                      says it's the best, do some research and decide what you want
                      to do. VB6 is an excellent starting language, but the main thing
                      you want to learn is concepts, after you learn concepts, you can
                      pretty much write in any language providing you learn the syntax
                      and language conventions.

If you are interested, the next language I will be learning is C#.

Frodo
                      [H]4 Life
                      I'm a lesbian too.
                      I am for hire!

Comment

I will keep looking in this thread for your reply with some links. Thankyou very much. Hope to hear from you soon..

Comment

SIX,

Learning by doing is the only way! Thats how I started, never had any classes on programming just picked it up as I went along.
                          One thing you will need first is a copy of VB6 as this will allow you to start making things happen yourself rather than just reading things. This is definately the best way to learn.
                          I believe that you can get a standard or student version of VB6 which will get you started although this can be quite limited as there is no data access components and the most basic version does not even let you compile your source only test it within VB6! If you are looking at a serious bit of coding such as a carputer system then you will definately need the professional or enterprise version.
                          PM me if you want some resource links, I have a shed load filed away somewhere

Good luck!

Comment

Wierd, I was just thinking of getting into VB6 as well. Had some classes years ago, C+ and Visual Basic 2.0. I'm getting Visual Studio 6 tomorrow.
                            1.6GHz HP e-PC, 768MB RAM, 120GB WD HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Onboard sound & video, 7" Lilliput, USB GPS Mouse, Audiovox FM Modulator, Vector 400 Watt Power Inverter, Windows XP Pro SP2, iGuidance 2, 15" Samsung LCD for the rear *Carputer not installed*

Comment

I started learning on QuickBasic in 6th grade and that taught me basic loops and planning the flow of the program. I then hopped into VB6 in 10th grade and start doing some decent coding. If you haven't started learning at all, I'd probably suggest starting with VB .NET. You could probably pick up a couple of books, there isn't as much online as there is with VB6 since it is newer but once you know VB .NET it will be much easier to go to the other languages in the Visual Studio .NET suite. That's just my two cents though. Biggest thing I can tell you is to keep up with it.

It's probably been mentioned before, but what is Frodoplayer written in?

Comment

Working...
                              X