Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gps COM Component

Hi,
    I have just finished making a GPS COM component for Car navigation Apps. It only parses GGA,GSA,GSV and RMC sentences. The attachment also has a VB application with source to demonstrate how to use it in VB. This is the second VB program I have written in my life so don't expect it to follow standards. You can use the component in any application as long as you don't intend to sell it.

You will need MSVCR71.dll. To register the the dll use
    regsvr32 GPS.dll

Update:
    Removed the reference to VOICES type Library
    Made changes for com port greater than 9 (thanX to rando)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=115831)

2004 Satish Kini
    satish_g_kini at yahoo.com

GPS 1.0

License:
    I don't care as long as it's not commercial.
    Would be nice to know which application is using it.
    E-mail me if you want to use the component in a commercial application.

Regards
    Satish
    Attached Files
    VOICES Status : Rework in Progress [||--------](20%)
    Preview Version at http://voices.techworldonline.com

Nice job.

How hard would it be to add GLL? It would be nice to have latitude/longitude info.

So how can we use these sentences? Would we have to use it with some other opensource GPS tools or map data? I thought the destinator and mappoint SDKs talk to the GPS devices directly, but maybe I'm wrong.
    1994 RX-7, EPIA P4-ITX w/ Celeron 2.4 Ghz, Arise PSU, Xenarc 700TSV (new model)

Comment

You can directly add GLL parser or any other parser onNMEASentence Event . It doesnot depend on any other component. You get the data directly from the GPS Receiver

I also can add an event for GLL in the next release if there is more demand

It can also simulate if you have a GPS file or log the GPS data to a file for simulation later

BTW you can get lat/long data from GGA & RMC sentences
      Regards
      satish

Comment

I thought GLL was depreciated? Or am I wrong?

From the RMC data do I need to convert the lat/lon to decimal for mappoint?

'If ObjGGA.GPSFix = FIX_GPS_OK Or FIX_DGPS_OK Then

Had to comment this out to make the test app work, would I need to register these as constants in an app, if so what do I register them as?
        Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
        Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

The RMC data can directly be used in mappoint.
          No once you register the DLL everthing is registered. What was the error you get when you try to compile.
          If you did not get Compile time error. Can you check the log file if the Receiver gives GGA sentence? If yes is the the 7th field 0

Comment

Originally posted by SilentAdmirer
            The RMC data can directly be used in mappoint.
            No once you register the DLL everthing is registered. What was the error you get when you try to compile.
            If you did not get Compile time error. Can you check the log file if the Receiver gives GGA sentence? If yes is the the 7th field 0
            'Can't find project or library'

I'm already using a GPS COM port sim (GPSgate) - works good with all other apps.

$GPGGA,160018.537,5230.5477,N,00147.5128,W,1,06,1. 4,138.1,M,47.9,M,0.0,0000*64
            $GPGSV,2,1,07,20,82,061,42,01,49,169,43,07,43,268, 45,11,38,135,42*76
            $GPGSV,2,2,07,04,24,298,44,25,22,066,42,13,15,196, 00*46
            $GPRMC,160018.537,A,5230.5477,N,00147.5128,W,68.29 ,268.02,280304,,*21

Example input

Comment

I tried again on another PC and it seems to work. Can you check if u get an auto complete when you edit the = in the line ? If you comment the line does it work ? also try with GPS.FIX_MODE.FIX_2D instead of FIX_2D

Comment

I tried again on another PC and it seems to work. Can you check if u get an auto complete when you edit the = in the line ? If you comment the line does it work ? also try with GPS.FIX_MODE.FIX_2D instead of FIX_2D
                Seems to autocomplete
                Attached Files

Comment

and this is the error highlighted when I click ' Connect ' on running it in VB6
                  Attached Files

Comment

Ooooooh!

Uncommented this VOICES in references and it now works...
                    Attached Files

Comment

I am soooo sorry for not checking that and wasting your time. next time I will check it

Comment

Will you be adding copyright info and usage to the DLL properties (please do!); and specifications on how you wish to be credited in any applications I make using this?

Comment

I am soooo sorry for not checking that and wasting your time. next time I will check it
                          Don't worry about wasting my time; your voices app saved me a few hours just the other week

Comment

Is it me... or am I missing a COM-Port property?
                            Skinning to go... VisualDesigner2!

Comment

Originally posted by zorro
                              Is it me... or am I missing a COM-Port property?
                              Yes... it's me .... sorry I'm stupid

<edit>
                              Works great... except... seems, that I can't use ports above 9...

</edit>
                              Skinning to go... VisualDesigner2!

Comment

Working...
                              X