what video backend to use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what video backend to use?

As a few of you know I'm writing my own carpc software, and for the dvd/divx part of it i was wondering what would be the best program to leech off of. I was thinking about windows media player, but wanted you guys's opinions. Thanks!
    CarPC install is starting to come along again...

*cough*

Comment

Originally posted by Grayscale
      As a few of you know I'm writing my own carpc software, and for the dvd/divx part of it i was wondering what would be the best program to leech off of. I was thinking about windows media player, but wanted you guys's opinions. Thanks!
      Well if you aren't using WMP for your MP3 playback then adding it for your DVD/DiVX will just blot the hell out of your app.

What are you using for MP3 playback?
      www.DurangoSUV.com

Comment

Winamp

Comment

If you like working with COM then wmp is definitly the way to go. If your doing it in VB the wmp control is probably the easiest way to go. If you want the most control over the application and want to do things like draw complex stuff on the moving video then your probably better off just using the DirectShow portion of DirectX, although doing it this way in anything other then C++ would be more of a challenge then I would want to undertake.
          StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
          Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
          The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Not working with COM...I'll probably check out the wmp control for VB. What about suggestions for DVD? WMP doesn't do DVD right?

Comment

WMP does do DVD but you need to have another DVD codec installed first.

Comment

How about VLC? Its a feebe and it supports just about everything under the sun.
                System Status - Starting Over
                Computer: None

Vehicle: Silver 2002 Malibu

Comment

DirectShow is the best way to go. You won't get the bloat of an external app like WMP or Winamp and it will automatically use the DVD playback filters of a DVD app like WinDVD or PowerDVD.

You should be able to use it from VB. I'll post some sample code for you in a minute.
                  1994 RX-7, EPIA P4-ITX w/ Celeron 2.4 Ghz, Arise PSU, Xenarc 700TSV (new model)

Comment

Originally posted by xanimal
                    How about VLC? Its a feebe and it supports just about everything under the sun.
                    I looked into this, but I couldn't find good documentation for the development library. Let me know if you know of anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayscale
                      Well, I'm making my own system too (hard- & software) and I started working with Zoom Player at first. I didn't get the message-thingy working on that player so I moved on to BSPlayer. This player kicks ***, I used it before on my desktop and laptop. You can embed it pretty nicely and tightly into your VB Application. But I have to warn you, you are facing an advanced mix of Message handling/sending and API-calling.

My player now fully embeds the BSPlayer, it controls play, pause, stop, ffd, back, next, previous, mute, full screen, ...

If you're intrested, I'll post some code...
                      Needstorage
                      --------------------------

Who the hell is general failure?!?
                      And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

Comment

Hey there is a smoking monkey impersonator..... that just aint right
                        -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Ok, here is how easy it is to play a file using DirectShow:

1. Add "ActiveMovie control type library" as reference (quartz.dll) in VB (via Project/Add Reference... menu)

2. Declare a FilgraphManager variable:
                          Code:
                          Dim mGraph as New QuartzTypeLib.FilgraphManager()
                          3. Write your Play and Stop functions:
                          Code:
                          Private Sub PlayFile(ByRef strFileName As String)
                             mGraph = New QuartzTypeLib.FilgraphManager()
                             mGraph.RenderFile(strFileName)
                             mGraph.Run()
                          End Sub

Private Sub StopFile()
                             mGraph.Stop()
                          End Sub
                          That's it! Just pass in any music or video filename into PlayFile and it will start playing. You can use the IVideoWindow interface to draw the video in one of your own windows and do things like full screen, etc. You can use the IMediaPosition interface to pause, ff, rew, skip, get current time/position, etc. You can use the IBasicAudio interface to set the balance and volume. It will automatically use all of the codec installed in your system (DivX, XviD, WinDVD, blah, blah, blah...)

It doesn't get any easier than that.

Comment

but what about this imposter?
                            -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

I was confused at first too, I was like WTF I didn't make this thread !

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery though
                              [H]4 Life
                              My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                              It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                              I'm a lesbian too.
                              I am for hire!

Comment

Working...
                              X