X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New utility for Windows 2k/XP.

nLite 0.97beta works pretty damn well.

http://nuhi.msfn.org/index.html

Figure I'd post it since nobody else ever made reference to it. It works good, I just made a 2000 SP4 CD thats 150MB (I didnt go too crazy, but I bet I could get one down to 100MB O_o).

Two words for this: kick ***.

looks very nice, wot sorta effect does this have on install/bootup times? is it worth me formatting and resintalling?
    Mods: 18" Boss rims,Twin custom stainless exhaust,cold air induction.
    Sound: Pioneer 7400 HU & 6x9's,12" Vibe Sub,600W Kenwood amp.
    CarPC: MicroATX, Inverter, WinTV, Lilliput 7", USB GPS
    http://www.no1knows.com/galleries/

Comment

Great find kai445!!!

Did you test your image? What footprint did you get?

Comment

I just made a new image, instead of using reccomended I tweaked it further.

121MB is my new image size, but I kept IE, Outlook and WMP.

I'm gonna make another right now without IE, Outlook or WMP. Then I'll install it on a celery box (spare) I got kickin around and post memory usage.

Oh. I'll also post approx boot time (I'll count seconds with atomic clock from pressin the button to desktop loaded.)

Woo for 2k sp4!

edit: My only fear with removing IE is possibly breaking apps -_-. Here's to hoping nothin bad happens.

Comment

this is sweet!!!! i was just thinking about this...
          don't let a day go by without finding some wonder in it...

Comment

Update: Made a new image removing everything but defrag, mdac, com+, wmi, and whatever the last experimental thing was. LoL.

Final size of CD? 97.1MB. Ehehehe!

Comment

It's installin right now (woo!)

Comment

Originally posted by kai445
                I just made a new image, instead of using reccomended I tweaked it further.

121MB is my new image size, but I kept IE, Outlook and WMP.

I'm gonna make another right now without IE, Outlook or WMP. Then I'll install it on a celery box (spare) I got kickin around and post memory usage.

Oh. I'll also post approx boot time (I'll count seconds with atomic clock from pressin the button to desktop loaded.)

Woo for 2k sp4!

edit: My only fear with removing IE is possibly breaking apps -_-. Here's to hoping nothin bad happens.
                I would advise against uninstalling IE. There is just too much software that uses it. Even if you don't have anything right now that doesn't use it, you may find something you want in the future that uses IE. Not sure how the software goes about removing IE but there is an entry in the registry that you can modify to force a reinstall of IE by the OS.
                AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Well, its installed.

20 seconds from POST to Windows, and the total was 49 seconds from pressing the power button to the desktop. (So windows was 29 seconds, not counting POST).

633 Celeron, 128MB PC100, 4GB PIO/5400RPM drive.

Memory usage? 32,260K, according to Windows Task Manager. Pretty good.

Comment

It removes IE in a similar way to Vorck's method, I imagine. Directly editing INF's and deleting IE files from the 2k CD.

I'm sufficiently impressed. If I need IE for anything in the future, I can install IE. Oh, also if you have Mozilla, you can modify many apps to use it instead of IE.

http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozilla.htm

1. Install Mozilla 1.7.1
                    2. Install Mozilla 1.7.1 ActiveX Control
                    3. Modify IE-dependent app with the IE Patcher ( http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/iepatcher.zip )

"IEPatcher is a tool to scan an executable or DLL and patch it to replace instances of the IE control with the Mozilla control. Since both controls are binary compatible, this is just a matter of replacing the CLSID_WebBrowser with CLSID_MozillaBrowser. If you have built the Mozilla browser, try running the patcher on an app that uses IE and see if it works!"

edit: Plus the Moz ActiveX control will support the new Mozilla Firebird soon...

Comment

Cool!!!
                      I'm definitely going to try this.

Comment

Oh crap I forgot to mention.

C:\ (450MB Total)
                        C:\WINNT (248MB)

Also, I disabled services by hand, and replaced the 2k bootfiles with xp bootfiles. I also defragged. Then I took my time measurements.

Comment

i'm curious... what features does your image include? and are you willing to share the iso??

i downloaded nlite...but the extracting and build stuff takes a while and i got impatient...
                          don't let a day go by without finding some wonder in it...

Comment

My image is essentially a bare install of 2k, the only mod I did was make it corporate (no cdkey needed) and include a WINNT.SIF file of my liking.

If anyone can host it, I'll send it to them. It's 98mb.

Windows 2000 SP4.
                            IE removed, OE removed, WMP removed, most everything removed. All default included drivers removed. Extra languages removed. 9x/Me Upgrade path removed.

You can only use the CD for a fresh install.

I've also included a couple of .REG files I put in everything I do. Basically services and security tweaks. The services tweaks are pretty liberal, in fact, you can get away with disabling alot more than I did to cut down on memory usage.

With everything removed, you'd think it is useless. But the underlying windows components are still there. DirectX remains, just install your Video, Audio, and Network drivers, and the system is fully functional with whatever you choose to load. I dont think I left in firewire support, you will need to install your drivers for that also.

But if you boot straight to mediaengine with this CD, it should be significantly faster than a normal copy of windows.

Comment

I would take it if it had IE and WMP. I may be able to host it tonight at work. (midnight eastern)
                              [COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Tektility

Comment

Working...
                              X