Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WinAmp visualizations in Windows Media Player (almost working)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinAmp visualizations in Windows Media Player (almost working)

I really missed using my WinAmp visualizations (MilkDrop and AVS) in FrodoPlayer, so I decided to write a new visualization plugin for WMP that would load WinAmp visualization DLLs.

Try it out:

wa_avs.dll
    wa_milk.dll

Currently, I hardcoded the paths to the vis DLLs so that's why there are two different DLLs. The first one is for AVS and the second is for MilkDrop. You can only use one at a time right now.

To use, follow these steps:

1. Make sure your AVS (vis_avs.dll) and MilkDrop (vis_milk.dll) plugins are in "C:\Program Files\WinAmp\plugins".
    2. Download the wa_avs.dll and wa_milk.dll files using the links above. You can put them anywhere.
    3. Open a command shell and cd to the directory where you downloaded the DLLs.
    4. Run "regsvr32 wa_avs.dll" to use the AVS plugin, or "regsvr32 wa_milk.dll" to use the MilkDrop plugin. NOTE: currently, only one can be registered at a time.
    5. Run WMP in Full Mode (not Skin Mode!) and choose the AVS or MilkDrop plugin. After that you can run FrodoPlayer and it will show up in there too.

Current limitations/bugs:
    - You can't configure MilkDrop yet from the WMP (you have to do it through WinAmp)
    - There is a bug that causes the viz to stop updating the screen if you stop and start it again.
    - You can only load one WinAmp plugin at a time and the path is hardcoded. Eventually, all the plugins in the winamp plugins directory will be loaded and you will be able to select the one you want to use.
    - It only works with WMP in Full Mode (not Skin Mode)

I'll fix these soon.
    1994 RX-7, EPIA P4-ITX w/ Celeron 2.4 Ghz, Arise PSU, Xenarc 700TSV (new model)

cool!
    Ford XR6T blueprint 4.0 L twin cam turbo.
    Xenarc 7" touchscreen M10000 Audigy 2 NX
    ITX 120W PS 80gig HD, 256MB Ram, USB wireless internet/LAN
    Griffin Powermate Panasonic DVD-CDW
    Pioneer 5x7 Four way, 2x12 pioneer subz
    600watt 6chan USA audio AMP

Comment

Sweet Idea.. It doesn't work with Windows Media 10 Beta though :\

Progress: On hold while I pay off my new PowerBook :D
      Part List:
      VIA MII10000 - 512MB - 20Gig 2.5" - Rikaline 6010 - 7" Lilliput - CNX-P1260 - Alpine 4ch Amp - 4 Gauge wire and fused distrobution block.

Comment

NoPistonPC- i love you.

it didn't work for me unless i select the vis before playing music in wmp
        My Mazda 3s

My Mazda 3s on Car Domain

[||||||||||||||||||--] (90%)

Comment

mookie, thanks for letting me know. I'll download WMP 10 beta and see if I can duplicate your problem and fix it. I hacked this thing together over last night so it's about as stable as Donald Trump's comb-over on a windy day.

vccb5, i'll look into that too.

BTW, which viz's were you guys using?

Comment

milkdrop for me
            My Mazda 3s

Comment

Originally posted by NoPistonPC
              I hacked this thing together over last night so it's about as stable as Donald Trump's comb-over on a windy day.

With or without gel?
              AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
              Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
              Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
              -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Shaweet
                -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Originally posted by brady

With or without gel?
                  Without...and I think he uses hairspray.

Comment

full screen does not work for me, unless i uncheck "integrate with winamp". But if i uncheck that, it's in windowed mode, and looks bad, and isn't always on top.

Piston-have you gotten this tow work well with frodoplayer, and if you have, could you post your milkdrop configuration file?

it seems like it would work perfectly if windowed mode had the title bar etc. removed, and if it was "always on top".
                    My Mazda 3s

Comment

vcbb5, i haven't implemented the fullscreen code yet, but it can be done. Currently, the windowed mode will only work if you ckeck "integrate with winamp". I have a bad habit of leaving things unfinished (mostly due to the lack of free time). But, I promise to finish this up since it's not going to be too hard. At the least, I will make sure it works with FrodoPlayer. (it will have to wait until after this weekend though)

EDIT: I just tried it out with FrodoPlayer, and it actually works fine (in non-fullscreen mode). My config file looks like this (but I don't think there is anything in there of any relevance...try deleting your current milkdrop config file...it will generate a new one):

(milkdrop_config.ini)

[settings]
                      nMainWndTop=60
                      nMainWndLeft=32
                      nMainWndRight=272
                      nMainWndBottom=204
                      avs_wx=0
                      avs_wy=0
                      avs_ww=240
                      avs_wh=144

What I did was to make sure that "integrate with with winamp" was checked in the config screen (I changed the config through winamp, then uninstalled winamp...this doesn't affect milkdrop which probably uses the registry). Then I ran WMP and selected the MilkDrop Vis. Then, I quit WMP and ran FrodoPlayer, and it ran MilkDrop in the vis window without any problems. When I have some time, I will try to make this process a lot simpler.

Comment

yeah, the integrating part works great
                        My Mazda 3s

Comment

NoPistonPC,

This is absolutely not a "put down" on your awesome work, but I have been using TwistedPixel with WMP/FrodoPlayer for about 2 months now, using MilkDrop visualisations.

Just another approach

Garry
                          Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                          www.aimee.cc

Comment

Any updates on this? I would really like to use all of the Visualizations of Winamp in WMP
                            -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Originally posted by antimatter
                              Any updates on this? I would really like to use all of the Visualizations of Winamp in WMP
                              I'll get to this soon, I promise.

Do you have a list of your favorite viz's? I'll get those working first.

Comment

Working...
                              X