X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another MPXPlay thread....

Hey People...

I'm having issues with MPXPlay. [EDIT] Not any more!!! See last post[/EDIT]

Okay, MPXPlay works fine when I'm in Win98 and I open a dos box. It loads and plays perfectly.

If I either Restart in DOS Mode, or boot directly to Command Prompt, MPXPlay freezes as soon as I try to play an MP3.

I'm using a Celeron 533 with a PCChips (ElCheapo) all-in-one mobo with onboard CMedia 6-Channel sound (only using front-out). I've got a DOS Driver for the sound card (I think). The driver loads fine and the mixer seems to work.

Another thing I noticed, I seem to get conflicting reports as to what IRQ and settings to use. BIOS says something about Sound installed on IRQ 9, but I think MPXPlay -sct (when ran from Dos Window, the only place it plays properly) says IRQ 5.

Is there any important info I'm missing or something I've overlooked? What does Windows have that proper DOS doesn't?

Thanks in advance,

Kris
    How Much Horsepower Can I have And Still Go To Heaven?

I meant to say something, but I forgot.

Comment

Originally posted by Superduck
      I meant to say something, but I forgot.
      Liar ! you just wanted to bump !
      [H]4 Life
      My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
      It will be done sometime in the next generation.
      I'm a lesbian too.
      I am for hire!

Comment

THAT'S what I wanted to say...

Thanks FrodoMonkeyMan!

Now, anyone got any suggestions for me?

TIA,

Kris

Comment

try switching the irq to 5
          [H]4 Life
          I'm a lesbian too.
          I am for hire!

Comment

Originally posted by frodobaggins
            try switching the irq to 5
            It's set to 5 from the line:
            SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 T4

But, for some reason it says something about IRQ A in the Mixer program, and "MPXPLAY -sct" doesn't find a sound card. MPXPlay will still load, but as soon as I try to play a song, it just keeps repeating the first quarter of a second of the song, and freezes up. It sounds like a conflict of some sort, but I can't figure out how to get the proper settings. Is there a program I can run that will display the proper settings?

TIA again,

Kris

Comment

set it in your bios
              [H]4 Life
              I'm a lesbian too.
              I am for hire!

Comment

Does it play fine if you set MPXplay to not use a soundcard?? MPXplay was awesome, I used that prog forever...
                Tidder

Try RevFE
                The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

are there DOS sound drivers available for the motherboard? if so try and load them.

Comment

What c-media chipset do you have? is it like a CMI8738 or something?
                    Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

@Frodo - I don't have the option to set the IRQ in this Bios.

@Tidder - If I use mpxplay -t, it looks like it's playing, and it doesn't freeze, though I don't know, 'cuz it isn't outputting anything.

@ Bgoodman - I'm using a DOS Driver for the CMedia onboard sound, it seems to be the right driver. Maybe I'll try downloading a different driver. Though the Mixer program that came with that driver seems to work fine. I can adjust the volume levels etc.

I'm soooo confused.

Comment

Where did you get your driver? What chipset is it? I never got the CMI8738 to work in true dos, that's why I ask. I had to get a soundblaster card. Though I did get an onboard yamaha to work once...
                        Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Do you get any sound out at all?? I would think that if you get some sound output, but it's just crap then it's a conflict. if you don't get any sound output, I would look for a different driver. Also, is the mixer program you speak of a TSR?? Maybe it's the one conflicting for control of the sound...
                          Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Okay, it IS a CMI8738, I got the drivers from CMedia's website, www.cmedia.com, and it seems to load properly. I guess it's a TSR, most DOS volume control programs are TSR's, aren't they?

I don't get why it loads in WinDOS, but not in true DOS.

Yes, it does make noise in DOS. I can almost tell what song I tried to play. It just stutters. It's like the very first millisecond of the song just keeps repeating until I reset the computer. Escape doesn't do anything, no buttons work.

If I don't load the sound driver, Mpxplay won't load, it just says Cannot find sound card. If I load the drivers, the program will start and I can scroll through the song list and everything, but as soon as I hit Play, it locks up, doing the skipping thing. It doesn't skip through the song, just replays the first noise over and over. Even with the sound driver loaded, running MPXPlay with the -sct (sound card test) it says no sound card detected, but the program will load anyway, as long as I've loaded the driver.

I can't really switch to SB 'cuz there's no room for a PCI card in here, so it's gotta be onboard or nothing.

I'll try to find a different driver, and mess around with IRQ settings.

Windows shows it as IRQ 9, so I'll try that again too.

Thank for all the help, people. Hopefully this will work, so I can finally get my carputer in the car. (What a novel concept).

[Edit] I just noticed that v1.50 Alpha 9 supports CMI8738, but it seems by posting a link (perhaps) I've helped them exceed their bandwidth for today, so I can't download the newer version. I'm still using alpha 8. [/edit]

Sigh...

Comment

WOOHOO!
                              All it took was Alpha 9 or higher (got 11 from site) to support my CMI8738. I still don't know why it worked in dos box in Windows, but I don't care now.
                              I got my joystick emulation working (mostly) and my 20x4 LCD working, I'm ready to install this pig and get it off the computer-room floor!

Again, thanks for the brainstorming help, guys. This forum is the best.

Cheers,

Kris

Comment

Working...
                              X