Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boot time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Boot time

    Witch one is fastes XP or 98 se to boot from power on

    To boot on 98se to Mediccar software is running ?????

    To boot on xp to Media car software is running ????

    Mini-itc TC10000 1 ghz 256 mb ram, 7" tft
    dvd/cd-rw, 15 gb hd, usb webcam
    Plan for project = 100%
    Part the project. = 100%
    Built...................= 99%
    Finish.................= 99%
    Install ...............= 99% -50%
    Ditail at 4u2n.dk
    Here

  • #2
    I think it will depend on what hardware your running on. 98 will do much better on crap hardware and XP won't be able to touch it, but I think XP will be a bit faster then 98 if you give it enough memory and processing power.

    Why is boot time even an issue though? Why not just use hibernate which will probably be twice as fast as your boot time.

    I did my first carputer with 98se and second with XP and find XP much better if for no other reason then its easier to maintain and you don't get bluescreens.
    StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
    Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
    The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't tun Mediacar but I am using Frodoplayer with Win98SE. My boot time into windows is approximatley 25-30 seconds, and another 15-20 seconds for Frodoplayer to automatically load and start playing music.

      Total time: 40-50 seconds to hear music.
      EPIA 800, 128MB PC 133 Ram, ATA133 HD(No hibernate or standby)
      New site at
      http://customcarpc.dreamhost.com

      http://home.attbi.com/~rbarr110

      2002 Toyota Tacoma Doublecab

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by rbarr110
        I don't tun Mediacar but I am using Frodoplayer with Win98SE. My boot time into windows is approximatley 25-30 seconds, and another 15-20 seconds for Frodoplayer to automatically load and start playing music.

        Total time: 40-50 seconds to hear music.
        EPIA 800, 128MB PC 133 Ram, ATA133 HD(No hibernate or standby)
        I know Win98se is fast both it easy to crash blue screen

        Is the hardware suport as USB devise easy and fast to install as it on XP
        Plan for project = 100%
        Part the project. = 100%
        Built...................= 99%
        Finish.................= 99%
        Install ...............= 99% -50%
        Ditail at 4u2n.dk
        Here

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm running XP here, and although I'm not running an EPIA, my boot times because of low amount of software on the startup and some XP optimization my total boot times has got to be less then 20 seconds. And would be willing to bet 15 seconds on a timed clock. Darn bios looses too much time.

          Don't think Win98 is even worth messing with if you got boot times under 30 seconds or less.
          Mark

          Website: http://www.greenpowerenthusiast.com/

          Car'Puter Project
          - Xenarc 700TSV
          - MSI RS482M-IL Mobo + AMD Turion MT-32 (25W)
          - 1x 256MB Corsair XMMS DDR400
          - M2-ATX
          - Belkin 802.11G W-Nic
          - Garmin 15H GPS
          - WinXP SP2 (NLited)

          Comment


          • #6
            I have no problems with my USB touchscreen using 98SE or my USB earthmate GPS, as long as you have drivers that support 98 you should be okay.

            I have been running 98SE for 4 months now and I have never crashed to a blue screen with my setup.
            New site at
            http://customcarpc.dreamhost.com

            http://home.attbi.com/~rbarr110

            2002 Toyota Tacoma Doublecab

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 4u2n
              Witch one is fastes XP or 98 se to boot from power on

              To boot on 98se to Mediccar software is running ?????

              To boot on xp to Media car software is running ????

              Mini-itc TC10000 1 ghz 256 mb ram, 7" tft
              dvd/cd-rw, 15 gb hd, usb webcam
              None of the above... Just use XP Embedded
              Needstorage
              --------------------------

              Who the hell is general failure?!?
              And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Needstorage
                None of the above... Just use XP Embedded
                How does a person get a working version of XPe?
                New site at
                http://customcarpc.dreamhost.com

                http://home.attbi.com/~rbarr110

                2002 Toyota Tacoma Doublecab

                Comment


                • #9
                  does anyone have real experience with XPe? will it support GPS sofware like destinator?
                  MII 6000; 256 MB; lilliput touchscreen; 40GB; bluetooth SE 68i; software still experimenting switched from mediacar to frodopayer, phonecontrol, destinator 3 (NM), and others.
                  http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31991

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by aguila
                    does anyone have real experience with XPe? will it support GPS sofware like destinator?

                    Also wondering this ... I'm assuming it will. I downloaded the XPe SDK the other night but haven't had time to mess with it ... also I don't have all the hardware for the carputer yet.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      On this page are some decent working examples of how to set up XPe for a Via Mainboards.
                      http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=110

                      Just open the .slx file in Target Designer and check for dependencies.
                      I used the "VIA EPIA M Mini-ITX Mainboard WinXP Embedded Support Package"
                      and have been able to install Autotap, MediaCar and Streets 2004. They are all working fine so far even in read only(EWF) mode.
                      It boots cold to desktop in about 35 seconds from a CF card and that is including the Wifi and Touchscreen tools. Another 15 seconds and MediaCar is up and running.
                      I ahve encountered 2 problems, though. The VGA drivers will not install and the PCMCIA slots won't work. Gotta fix that before I can start the install.

                      Good luck!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by VooDooAddict
                        Also wondering this ... I'm assuming it will. I downloaded the XPe SDK the other night but haven't had time to mess with it ... also I don't have all the hardware for the carputer yet.
                        XP Embedded will work with anything regular XP works with as long as you include all the necessary dependancies. Although why bother using XPe if your going to be using hibernate.
                        StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                        Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                        The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          exactly... it doesn't seem worth the trouble. Your only gaining a few seconds. I can see going with XPe if it cold booted in 15 seconds from the time the computer comes on to the time music is playing.
                          -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            How come some of you guys go with cold boots instead of hibernation anyways? Hibernation by default I would guess is at most 30 seconds and probably in the 15-20 second range depending on the bios delay. You don't have to worry about programs that don't have options to start with the settings you would want to run the program (Like Streets and Trips that takes user interaction to start the GPS everytime the program starts).

                            I could understand it if it was some hardware that didn't like hibernation. Just curious is all.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by f150tech
                              On this page are some decent working examples of how to set up XPe for a Via Mainboards.
                              http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=110

                              Just open the .slx file in Target Designer and check for dependencies.
                              I used the "VIA EPIA M Mini-ITX Mainboard WinXP Embedded Support Package"
                              and have been able to install Autotap, MediaCar and Streets 2004. They are all working fine so far even in read only(EWF) mode.
                              It boots cold to desktop in about 35 seconds from a CF card and that is including the Wifi and Touchscreen tools. Another 15 seconds and MediaCar is up and running.
                              I ahve encountered 2 problems, though. The VGA drivers will not install and the PCMCIA slots won't work. Gotta fix that before I can start the install.

                              Good luck!
                              Yeah, and start stripping unwanted functionality, you'll get your boot time down. Do you use a floppy driver? Do you want network support in your xpe? do you need the parallel port, the firewire port, ... If you get rid of all this stuff, you will have a boot time that makes Xp pro looks like running the same thing on prehistoric hardware.

                              just my 2 cents
                              Needstorage
                              --------------------------

                              Who the hell is general failure?!?
                              And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X