Starting computer from standby

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting computer from standby

I use an dc-ac inverter. I have a switch up front to turn everyting off.
    Instead of shutting the pc down, can I put it in standby? (even though I am cutting off the power source)
    I do not have an on/off switch in my modified pc. I just went into the BIOS and set it to turn the pc on after power failure. However, if I do not "shutdown" and instead try "standby", the pc won't turn back on. (when I had the power switch installed, I had to go to the back of the truck and manually push the switch.)
    Follow me?
    Any ideas or help?
    AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods
    "A great smoking alternative"

Originally posted by muldrick
    I use an dc-ac inverter. I have a switch up front to turn everyting off.
    Instead of shutting the pc down, can I put it in standby? (even though I am cutting off the power source)
    I do not have an on/off switch in my modified pc. I just went into the BIOS and set it to turn the pc on after power failure. However, if I do not "shutdown" and instead try "standby", the pc won't turn back on. (when I had the power switch installed, I had to go to the back of the truck and manually push the switch.)
    Follow me?
    Any ideas or help?
    Standby needs power!
    Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by Laidback
      Standby needs power!
      Thats what I thought, at one time I had the power switch in the pc and tried it. Seems I recall that my display said "resuming windows XP" (even though I had the power turned off through the front switch, prior to having to push the switch at the pc ofcourse)
      AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods

Comment

You can cut the power after hibernate, as it writes everything to the hdd, Standby keeps everything in RAM, that's why it needs power.
        Laidback

Comment

there are three levels of standby....check your BIOS to see if you can choose between the diff states....you want S3 ...all power off except Ram

Comment

Originally posted by Laidback
            You can cut the power after hibernate, as it writes everything to the hdd, Standby keeps everything in RAM, that's why it needs power.
            That's what I was just thinking...that I used hybernate. So if I use hybernate, then cut the power off, will it resume XP when I turn the power back on? Remember, I don't have the power button on the pc, and I wouldn't want to go to the back of the truck to turn it on anyway.
            (Just trying to think off a faster startup time)
            AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods

Comment

Originally posted by HybridMike
              there are three levels of standby....check your BIOS to see if you can choose between the diff states....you want S3 ...all power off except Ram
              I still want to cut all power off, to avoid battery drain.
              AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods

Comment

Originally posted by muldrick
                That's what I was just thinking...that I used hybernate. So if I use hybernate, then cut the power off, will it resume XP when I turn the power back on? Remember, I don't have the power button on the pc, and I wouldn't want to go to the back of the truck to turn it on anyway.
                (Just trying to think off a faster startup time)
                Well, yes. But only if you set the option in bios to 'resume from power loss'. Not all sys boards have this option!
                Laidback

Comment

Working...
                X